Good sharpener for a newbie

I have hardly any experience with sharpening knives and would love a good sharpener that isn't going to set me back a ton of money. I don't know about finding edges and all that and I'm not good with a stone. Something user friendly that an inexperienced person like me can but an nice sharp edge on my knives when they need it. Recommendations please....

Spyderco Sharpmaker. If you can hold your hand reasonably steady then you should have relatively few problems getting good edges on your blades. I've tried all the major players' sharpeners like Lansky's, Smith's, DMT's Aligner thing, freehand with stones, and convexing with belt sander, and the Sharpmaker is among the best of the cheaper routes.

I've got to agree with the Sharpmaker recommendation but I also think that the DMT Aligner or Magna-Guide setup is a very worthwhile addition as well. Together they make a great team (though it does raise the price some).

DMT Aligner Deluxe with Coarse, Fine, Extra Fine, and serrated accessory is $42. Spyderco Sharpmaker is $46.

If you want something that will give you a very precise (and very sharp) edge even when sharpening super steels, then the Aligner is for you. If you want something that's really quick to setup and dismantle, then the sharpmaker is it.

I'd say that, if you're new to sharpening and want a good, predictable edge, then go for the DMT. I agree with Sep that the Sharpmaker is quick and easy to set up, but -- IMHO -- I think it requires a little more skill than the DMT.

I have to say that for under $100 with tax, you can buy a 6" bench grinder, and the Razor Sharp Paper Wheels as Richard J mentions in multiple threads, and you will learn to sharpen scary sharp within 1 hr. of turning the grinder motor on. It really is that easy. If you are new to working with power equipment, make sure you use goggles, and make sure you use goggles, and make sure you use goggles, and stop, turn off motor if you are distracted from focusing on sharpening. Oh yeah, one more thing, do not forget your goggles.:D

I have to say that for under $100 with tax, you can buy a 6" bench grinder, and the Razor Sharp Paper Wheels as Richard J mentions in multiple threads, and you will learn to sharpen scary sharp within 1 hr. of turning the grinder motor on. It really is that easy. If you are new to working with power equipment, make sure you use goggles, and make sure you use goggles, and make sure you use goggles, and stop, turn off motor if you are distracted from focusing on sharpening. Oh yeah, one more thing, do not forget your goggles.:D

Unless he has an experienced person available to teach him directly, newbies and power tools should not mix. (And if he had an experienced teacher available he wouldn't be a newbie....)

+1 on the Sharpmaker (which is where I started) or the DMT. Then maybe a bench stone (you can flip the Sharpmaker over and use it like a sorta bench stone, makes you curious for more), a strop, some different grit sandpapers....

Can't recommend a powertool until you have the experience to know *why* you want it, exactly what you're going to do with it and what the advantages and disadvantages of using one are. At the very least you should have experience with different types of edges, forming them and using them, and an idea of what your own preferences are before deciding on what power tools to buy.

Unless he has an experienced person available to teach him directly, newbies and power tools should not mix. (And if he had an experienced teacher available he wouldn't be a newbie....)

+1 on the Sharpmaker (which is where I started) or the DMT. Then maybe a bench stone (you can flip the Sharpmaker over and use it like a sorta bench stone, makes you curious for more), a strop, some different grit sandpapers....

Can't recommend a powertool until you have the experience to know *why* you want it, exactly what you're going to do with it and what the advantages and disadvantages of using one are. At the very least you should have experience with different types of edges, forming them and using them, and an idea of what your own preferences are before deciding on what power tools to buy.

He said he was a newbie at sharpening. This does not mean he is a newbie at power tools. If the thought of 3k rpm turning wheel with a sharp instrument rubbing against it freaks him out, then he will go for another option. This OP may be fine with power tools, I wanted him to know how great this device is if he is comfortable with that of course. It would be very easy to spend 100+ dollars on stones or hand gadgets, as we all want to get as sharp as possible. So, making the OP aware of this option makes perfect sense to me.

i have shown several people who have never used power equipment or sharpened a knife in their life how to safely use the wheels. cjpgeyer did a great job the first time he tried with the wheels.

i have shown several people who have never used power equipment or sharpened a knife in their life how to safely use the wheels. cjpgeyer did a great job the first time he tried with the wheels.

I amagine would qualify as an experienced teacher. :) :thumbup:

Last edited:
He said he was a newbie at sharpening. This does not mean he is a newbie at power tools. If the thought of 3k rpm turning wheel with a sharp instrument rubbing against it freaks him out, then he will go for another option. This OP may be fine with power tools, I wanted him to know how great this device is if he is comfortable with that of course. It would be very easy to spend 100+ dollars on stones or hand gadgets, as we all want to get as sharp as possible. So, making the OP aware of this option makes perfect sense to me.

I was more suggesting that someone should maybe learn how to stand and how to walk before trying to run. Seems like common sense to me.

I was more suggesting that someone should maybe learn how to stand and how to walk before trying to run. Seems like common sense to me.

Point taken, I bought a Lansky first, learned some basic principles and then proceeded on to the paper wheels. So, I think our thought processes were on the same page. :thumbup: However, I think the paper wheels are much easier than a Lansky. Hindsight being 20/20, I wish I went straight to the paper wheel set up.

i used to have an ez sharp which was similar to a lansky. i used it for almost 10 years before getting a set of wheels. one thing i didnt like about the ez sharp or any clamp on system was the way some blade grinds made it hard to get the clamp in place the same way each time i sharpened that very same knife. i once sharpened a knife for a friend who used it to cut fiberglass laying on a concrete floor. he had me resharpen the knife again and even with the clamp in the same exact place the stones hit at a different angle. i wouldnt trade my old wheels for a any sharpener out there even if the trade was a better deal money wise.

I had the DMT Aligner and didn't like the amount of slop in the system. It provides a decent edge for its price.

Last edited:
I've heard about the paper wheels and a lot of people use them. I must admit that once I saw an associate's knife that'd been sharpened on an Edgepro I knew I had to buy one. I've been happy ever since. The paper wheels are a lot cheaper, though you still need a grinder. If you need one I suggest Harbor Freight. They've got a lotta cheap things but everything I've bought is still working fine.

I had the DMT Aligner and didn't like the amount of slop in the system. It provides a decent edge for what you spend but I think you get better results with a Sharpmaker, provided you have a steady hand.

My solution to that was to use the Gatco clamp (which I'd already had for years) with the DMT Diafolds and Magna-Guide attachment. Works like a charm. Plus, with the (optional) base clamped to my workbench it's even better.

I'm now in the early stages of working with an EdgePro but I still like the setup above and finishing on a Sharpmaker for very nice edges.

(And I'll never give up freehand sharpening on bench and smaller stones and ceramics.)

Blues,I'm with you on free hand sharpening on bench stones.Yes, the gadgets work.
But simple setup anywhere and fastest route to a sharp edge is for me.Plus thats the way I was first taught in the 1966.DM

Blues,I'm with you on free hand sharpening on bench stones.Yes, the gadgets work.
But simple setup anywhere and fastest route to a sharp edge is for me.Plus thats the way I was first taught in the 1966.DM

It's all about having options imho. I like being able to choose the method based upon mood or what I feel the job calls for.

Freehand is the most relaxing and satisfying for me personally.

The DMT/clamp method is accurate, reasonably quick and requires very little setup or cleanup. I have obtained very good results with it, especially when I finish on a Sharpmaker.

I'm not yet fully committed to the EdgePro. Probably part of it is that it requires a bit more setup, maintenance and cleanup than I'm used to. On the other hand, I have no doubt that its capabilities exceed the other methods I currently prefer.

To each his own I guess but I agree with you David that everyone should at least know how to sharpen freehand. Nothing will teach you more about blades and edges. :thumbup:

I'm another that thinks free hand is the fastest and the best way to sharpen. However, I tried to learn how to sharpen for years free hand and could never get it. I thought I was one of those that just couldn't free hand sharpen. Beleive me I tried and tried to learn how to free hand sharpen. I gave in and got a Lansky and right away my edges got pretty sharp and I started learning more and more what and how to get a real sharp edge. After useing and getting great edges with the Lansky and knowing how to get a very sharp edge I then tried free hand once again. WOW I couldn't believe how easy and quick free hand sharpening is. My point is that all these systems will and do work, heck Murray carter can sharpen on a cinder block and cardboard. The real trick is learning everything you can about sharpening and the real way to learn is to do it. I'd suggest picking a system and go to town sharpening everything until you have learned how to get a very sharp edge. Also come back here and ask us alot of questions and believe me we will help you get some very scary sharp edges with any system you pick. Once you've learned how to sharpen then picking the best way to sharpen is much easier. No system or method will sharpen for you, you do have to learn how to get that sharp edge. You may decide like me a hone and free hand is the best for you, or you may learn a system may work best. Heck you may even think a belt grinder or paper wheels will be your best choice.

Back