Got my new BK2 and man

its a chunky BEAST of a knife... Now i gotta get out and rough it up a little.
I think the first thing to do is strip and patina, to my liking. :D

The BK-2 is simply an awesome tool. Now that mine has micarta scales I am seriously considering stripping and patina-ing...think I'll let a little more work in the field do some more of the stripping though :)

The BK-2 is simply an awesome tool. Now that mine has micarta scales I am seriously considering stripping and patina-ing...think I'll let a little more work in the field do some more of the stripping though :)

baton some oak and it will be gone in no time:D

op: congrats, its an awesome chunk of steel I can't wait to have it out overnight as my only tool..

Has anyone else found a problem with the stripped portion under the scales rusting? I like mine stripped as well, but I'm a little worried...I got one for Christmas as well, and I'm PUMPED!!! :D

Has anyone else found a problem with the stripped portion under the scales rusting? I like mine stripped as well, but I'm a little worried...I got one for Christmas as well, and I'm PUMPED!!! :D

Yeah they rust. Keep them clean and oiled and forget about rust.

I'm not bagging on you mdole, so don't get me wrong here.

Rust is not that big of a deal. Now, if you are in a heavy saltwater enviornment, of course rust will get bad, fast. But for the most part, rust happens, oil it, wipe it and if its real bad, hit it with some steel wool (0000) or some good 600gt W/D sandpaper. Rust is a slow mover and as long as you don't store your knives for 6mos at a time, keep them clean and maintained, rust shouldn't even occur.

Just had to vent there for a minute.

Moose

i use moose oil :)

I call BS, moose oil would be too much for your little blades. Better get some weasel oil or sumpin'. Wouldn't want that moose oil desolving your blades while they sit on the shelf, idle, and pretty.:D

Moose

Yeah they rust. Keep them clean and oiled and forget about rust.

I'm not bagging on you mdole, so don't get me wrong here.

Just had to vent there for a minute.

I'm just not that sensitive... :D
Thanks for the input, I look forward to the use!

I just sprayed 3 coats of Rust-Oleum Crystal Clear Enamel on my handle a few days ago, so far it looks really good.

I'm sure there are tuffer ways to protect it, but why it don't see the hard conditions the blade does.

Also you can always just strip the blade and leave the handle under the scales black....

Back