GPS systems?

Can anyone suggest a good GPS for hiking and navigating? I like to hike through mostly dense areas and I think that it would be usefull to have a way of marking my camp, parking spot ect...

I am looking for something that could be downloaded with an areas maps cause I never go out unpreppared!

Thanks, Alan...

I like the Garmin products. Have had Magellan
and have used Eagle too.

The Garmin 12 is a good basic GPS. You can get one for about $150 and with the optional pc cable and topo software you can download/upload waypoints.

If you can afford it, the Garmin III Plus is great. About $370 but it has a built in map of N. America (or other parts of the world depending on where you live), and more detailed topo/street maps can be downloaded as well.

Both are about the size of a cell phone.

The new compact Magellons look good too, but I am not familiar with them.

I think you will really enjoy the GPS.

Alan,

One of the best units I've used to date is the Lowrance GlobalNav 212 available for $239.00 from Brigade Quartermasters.

This unit will lock on everytime in dense jungle canopy, inside your house, and everywhere else I've been except underground.

I've tried the 150 dollar units sold at WalMart without much success in dense wilderness. - Jeff

------------------
Randall's Adventure & Training
jeff@jungletraining.com

I've used the eagle expedition model(Lowrance now) for over 2 years for everything from simple where am I to call for fire and it's never let me down. Just remember that you should always double check it against your map and compass just to be on the safe side. I always carry my MilSpec compass and a Suntro wrist sighting compass just to be on the safe side. You'll love it once you get used to it!

I really do like my Garmin 12 and I've had several different units in the past. I have not tried it in very dense areas, so I don't know about that!

We've been using the Magellans with great results. I've had some problems with Garmin products particularily with respect to performance and durability. I don't know how the newer ones are. I agree with Jeff, the Lowrance are excellent units and while I don't have one I've been out with folks who did.

Ron

------------------
Learn Life Extension at:

http://www.survival.com ]

Back