• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Good Great custom folders by Joe Diesel

ferider

Gold Member
Joe Diesel = JDieseljoe69 JDieseljoe69

I wrote this in a PM in answer to somebody asking how I liked my Full Throttle Superchargers from Joe. I figured it might be useful for others as well:

"I love it, just ordered my 3rd one. Two of them are Tantos, and one is leaf-shaped.

The two Tantos are both flippers and have "thumb-holes" - nice to have two opening mechanisms. The leaf-shaped one is flipper only.

You might know that I'm a Hinderer fan .... so that's what I compare them too. They are a little longer than the XM-24, but sleeker and lighter. Both Ti scales have been "hollowed" inside for weight reduction. The hardware is from TiConnector in Montana, which I like, and have used on some of my Hinderers before (screws and Pivots). Joe's builds are pretty robust, a little less overbuilt than - say - an XM24, a thinner pivot, thinner and fewer scale screws, but overall strong enough, and I don't baby my knives.

Steel is CPM-154 which I like. Similar to S35vn, but feels a little tougher (harder to chip). Edges are clean and symmetric, the knives came sharp out of the box. The primary bevel has many shallow grooves (check the pictures), still not sure what to think about that. It doesn't hinder cutting, maybe makes cutting in the kitchen a little more agressive, bread and cheese for instance.

The flippers are quite pronounced, also give quite a large guard. Again, check out pictures, I'm OK with that, but the flippers might be too large for some.

Regarding the Tanto, the two bevel surfaces are almost parallel, so it's more like a flat knife with a single large edge serration, similar to - say - the CPK Dek2 that Lorien Arnold designed. Has a lot of bite, and is easy to sharpen by hand on a benchstone.

Finally, they cost me $400 each, which is a great price for a completely US hand-made folder (including the hardware), and Joe is great to deal with, and basically gives you a personal warrantee on the knives.

I can recommend them. Hope this helps,

Roland."

In addition, a couple of reposted pictures of two of my superchargers, the 3rd one is still in the mail.

Thanks for the great knives, Joe !

i-N92t5xX-X3.jpg

i-XgFX2FS-X3.jpg

i-JSBsSDt-X3.jpg

i-MBbFkzB-X3.jpg

i-HXzVFxV-X3.jpg

i-zTvJJ6L-X3.jpg

Your write up on Joes blades is right on, I purchased one of the first ones offered here and had a problem with it. Contacted him and he had me send it back. He reworked it and had it back in short order in a better condition. That’s what takes my fear away from customs, service after the sale. I wish all makers were this way. At first I thought that a folder with a 4”blade was too big but his super charger has proven me wrong. It’s very thin and sits well in pocket. Pictures are no where near as nice as ferider ferider but enjoy it anyways. . . Now that I’m retired would still enjoy a shorter blade, hint hint😉👍

I was the one that asked ferider for his opinion on the knife after admiring it in one of his posts. Needlessly to say I was beyond impressed with the comprehensive and rave review of the knife. So much so I just ordered one from Joe today. I’m now anxiously anticipating the delivery date to get this piece in hand. Thanks again ferider for the review and Joe for accommodating my special request!
Now…..tic toc tic toc. I’m sure you’ve all been there

Last edited:
Back