Great Eastern Cutlery ( GEC ) group shots / photo requests

I have a few #65's but no picture with either of those other two. I do have this pic of a #64 next to a #15 though. The #64 is identical to the #65 except for the bolster..... the #65 has a copperhead bolster and this one is straight.

At any rate, you can see that it is quite a bit longer but still very slim and slender.

47's - maroon micarta, african blackwood, elephant ivory & elk

7dcf3ea806be2330b429634285c3ccd7_zpsuywgpi2t.jpg

Great lineup of the #47s, Al! I need to buy an elk handled knife someday! Enabler!!

Haha, thanks Perry, just giving back to the forum that has extracted so much money from MY bank account :D:thumbup:

I know what you mean :eek: Factor in import tax & postal costs to Europe in my case and it's bread & water all year round. Well, maybe not....:D
Fantastic that stainless Viper in micarta, just right! Great knives there my friend, real source of pride for anybody.:thumbup:

Thanks, Will

I know what you mean :eek: Factor in import tax & postal costs to Europe in my case and it's bread & water all year round. Well, maybe not....:D
Fantastic that stainless Viper in micarta, just right! Great knives there my friend, real source of pride for anybody.:thumbup:

Thanks, Will

Yeah, it always amazes me the collection that some people have, living outside of the US. The extra effort and costs it requires... I think many of us here take for granted that our hobby is so close to home. Thanks for the nice words Will and enjoy your week!

Tenacious D That is a great 4 some of Vipers you have there :cool::thumbup::cool::thumbup:

It inspires me to make a group shot of mine, I love the #47's :D

Yes, Please!! Would love to see them Ron!!

I've just seen that some of the older runs of the Ben Hogans had sabre ground blades. Could someone put some pics up of these? Are there any other models with the sabre grind apart from the northwoods specials?

I know there were some sabre ground #12 toothpicks back in the early runs. I had one, but let it go because of the thicker blade.

Are all the new Ben Hogans Bareheads?

If so, I might just change my mind......:cool:

Thanks, Will

thanks bozack, you were lucky to get a snakewood knife, I think the lines of the sabre grind would look amazing once they are blackened with patina.

@Will Power All the new ones I have seen so far are barehead. Somehow I think the double cap looks better on the long think frame.

@black mamba I imagine the #12s would be pretty thick with that style of grind.

I'm really hooked on small stockmans like the schrade 897uh or 34OT pattern. I love the tight, snappy feel to these knives and their pocketability. Is there a GEC pattern that comes close that someone could post a photo of?

(fYI I bought and sold a #66 slim calf roper not long ago, but found the ergonomics of the knife all wrong compared to those previously mentioned patterns. It is possible that a calf roper in three blade stockman style is closer to what i am after, but i am a bit gun shy, having lost a bit of money on the slim. Plus they arent in the retailers at the moment).

Last edited:
I have never owned the 66 slim. However, from what I have read, the pull is tighter than the 66 stockman. If I remember correctly, though I am probably wrong, I believe the joints are lower on the slim. Is it the serpentine pattern that you didn't like? If so, the 68 is certainly worth looking at.

I own the 66 Cattle Ropper and love it.

Here are two links for you to look at. The 66 and 68 are extremely close. Each is worth the $ imo.

http://www.collectorknives.net/gec-66/

http://www.collectorknives.net/gec-2012-northfield-cocobolo-wood-buckaroo-medium-stockman/

thanks KBA,

What I didn't care for in the #66 was the ergonomics. It was a gorgeous knife to look at it, in lovely natural stag, but in the hand it was, well, bad enough that I sold it despite its awesome looks. The Turkish clip blade seemed to fall away from the direction of cut, and it wasn't possible to work out a grip that I found satisfactory. Also, there was quite a bit of blade rub.

What I like about the small stockman Schrades (I own a few) is they fit comfortably in the hand and seem well designed for small cutting tasks. Unfortunately I didn't photograph them together with the #66 for comparison - which I regret, given I am still searching for the closest GEC pattern. The Schrade 897UH pattern in particular (pictured here is the SS825 version) has a beautifully designed Turkish clip, and the belly of the blade lands naturally where your hand falls onto the object you are cutting. Also, they have great walk and talk and pocket-ability. I would love a GEC pattern that was close.

Last edited:
Beautiful Hogan Bozack, I agree with fatcorgi on the sabre grind.

Here's one of my group shots so far, they'll bite.

tumblr_npxavo17KO1rzq6m9o1_1280.jpg

Back