Great LCT interview

That was a great podcast ; lots if great information; i think the most eye opening was Sal Glesser and Les De Asis calling him the black hat of the knife industry for making weapons; hmm the philipine balisong was a martial arts weapon and both of them made em ; the Benchmade 600 Brend was from Walter Brend whos famous for fighters: kind of hypocritical i think ! I highly recommend watching that podcast…

That was a great podcast ; lots if great information; i think the most eye opening was Sal Glesser and Les De Asis calling him the black hat of the knife industry for making weapons; hmm the philipine balisong was a martial arts weapon and both of them made em ; the Benchmade 600 Brend was from Walter Brend whos famous for fighters: kind of hypocritical i think ! I highly recommend watching that podcast…
I think that Mr. Thompson wore it (the black hat) well. A badge of honor that set him apart from the rest.

Yep, enjoyed it. Not in that vid, but at some point he also said Sal was his only friend in the knife industry. One thing I don't understand...with all the training and working out, why has he been so pudgy for so long? 😁

Yep, enjoyed it. Not in that vid, but at some point he also said Sal was his only friend in the knife industry. One thing I don't understand...with all the training and working out, why has he been so pudgy for so long? 😁
Haha, I used to run miles when I was in the military and never looked that great. Age and genetics I guess. When I was in my best shape ever around 32/33 I still could be mistaken for a wet fart. I know of people who work out a lot and look just like him. I wouldn't mess with them. It's the zero body fat muscle freaks who are the weak ones.

Very interesting to hear some background on the knives, thanks for posting!

I might be reading into this, but my take on it was that the other knife execs thought the best strategy was to sell fighting knives but to keep it on the DL to avoid a public panic and anti-knife legislation. Spyderco has long had the Civilian which has no purpose other than fighting, but they don't promote it.

In that sense, I'd argue Lynn is the polar opposite of Bill Ruger. He's always been unapologetic and pushed for defensive knives to be normal and accepted, whereas I've never bought a Ruger because Bill is partially responsible for the 10 round magazine limit in my state.

A Great interview with Lynn Thompson definitely worth the time.Learnt some facts about the early history and beginings of Cold Steel.

The Jaw Dropped was where he says that I Sal has a Criminal Charge and He doesn't. :oops:

Just out of interest but where his parents both Portuguese? I wonder what they were doing living in such a rural part of Brazil if they were not from Brazil? I would be definitely interested in his back back story.....

Just out of interest but where his parents both Portuguese? I wonder what they were doing living in such a rural part of Brazil if they were not from Brazil? I would be definitely interested in his back back story.....
Lynn's mentioned in one or two early interviews that his parents were missionaries when he was young. That's why they were living in Brazil and eventually returned to the U.S.

-Steve

Back