Grik!

jlauffer

Tempt not the Blade
Platinum Member
Got my Grik today, and think it will be my new EDC. I went from the Mini Lawman, to the Mini Recon 1, to the Tuff Lite, and now the Grik. Of the 3 previous, the Mini Lawman is probably the perfect size for me, but a bit too "tactical" looking. The Tuff Lite looks much more tool-like, which I liked, but I missed having some curve to the blade. I was thinking of going back to the Mini Lawman and maybe stripping the blade coating, but then saw the Grik in the new products for 2017, and wanted to give it a try.

So far, here's what I like:
1. Non-coated blade.
2. Closed, it is only 1/4" longer than the TuffLite, but open it is 3/4" longer. It also doesn't have as much of a blade "hump" when closed. It is also barely larger than the Mini Lawman...about a 1/4" open
3. The pocket clip is flat and as wide as the handle, so it feels like part of the handle, rather then being in the way.
4. The price...paid $37 including shipping.

What I don't like:
1. The handle wall thickness gets pretty thin near the pommel end. If you look at the side view, each "line" in the handle is a step down in thickness. I'm measuring about 3-4mm thick at the blade end, and only 1mm right in front of where the pocket clip attaches. This basically allows the pocket clip to be "flush". I doubt I would ever do anything with this knife where this "weakness" would come into play, but would have liked it to be a bit thicker.
2. The thumb ramp thing is not metal like the other models, which I'm sure was a cost-saving measure. But over time I wonder about wear, and how easy it would be to replace if it were to wear out/break. There is a tiny tiny hex-head screw in the spine of the blade that I'm guessing holds it in place. Smallest hex bit I have is 1.5mm, which is about the size of the hole, so the screw probably needs something like 0.5mm.
3. There is no sharpening notch/choil.
4. The greenish-tan color of the pocket clip...not sure why they did this.

So, overall, I'm really liking it so far. Time will tell...

0pXlF8Om.jpg

K773Wf9m.jpg

pTq7SYJm.jpg

I didn't even know the Grik was out yet. Thanks for the review and the photos! The size comparisons are most useful. I understand what they were going for with the stepped handle design coinciding with the clip, but is it comfortable in-hand?

-Steve

I still haven't seen them anywhere else, so certainly not widespread yet. So far it seems pretty comfortable. It came with a clip for the other side, and I think you might be able to have them both on, so if the handle is too thin for some, adding the other clip could fill it out a bit more. I will have to try it....

EDIT: I did try adding the other pocket clip and it does fill out the handle nicely, so this could be an option for people with bigger hands

Last edited:
FYI, another eBay seller just listed the Grik with 3 available

Ended up removing the thumb ramp...liking it much better this way. First I tried rotating the thumb ramp a bit by drilling a new detent for the set screw to fit into, thinking I could get better traction with my thumb to open it easier, but still didn't like it. But the bare hole is large enough (for me) to use, so worked out great.

aCxLh1Ml.jpg

TooLzjVl.jpg

Thanks for the update on the HTR! Yours on the Grik is very different from mine on the Golden Eye. I was surprised to learn that the Grik's is plastic. The Golden Eye's is brass. I wouldn't think that even a thermoplastic is durable enough to function long-term as a thumb ramp. Also, you can see from this photo that the Golden Eye's blade has a tongue left in the hole cutout that fits a groove in the HTR that prevents it from being rotated.

image_zpsfswpevyp.jpg

You'd have to file off that tongue in order to change the HTR's orientation. Personally, while I agree that the design might benefit from the widest portion being positioned at 12 o'clock, the current setup works well enough that I wouldn't try to alter it on my knife.

-Steve

Oh, so you can just remove the HTR and you're left with a "spydie" hole? Well then why not remove it? The HTR is gimmicky. It adds complexity/expense and sticks out like a (big) thumbstud that could potentially catch on whatever you're cutting.

Ended up removing the thumb ramp...liking it much better this way. First I tried rotating the thumb ramp a bit by drilling a new detent for the set screw to fit into, thinking I could get better traction with my thumb to open it easier, but still didn't like it. But the bare hole is large enough (for me) to use, so worked out great.

aCxLh1Ml.jpg

TooLzjVl.jpg

So much better with the ramp removed. I wonder what the Golden eye would look like with it removed also, probably really good too.

I just picked up one of these on a whim.
Normally I wouldn't carry something like this but I gave it a try and after a week I really like the design and execution of this knife.

The blade shape and grind are done well and the wide pocket clip feels good in hand.

I think the thumb ramp is a bit gimmicky but it works very nicely,
though I probably will try it out without.

All in all a great knife at an excellent price.
If CS does a large version I will definitely pick that up.

I removed the thumb ramp on my golden eye, it works just fine if not better without the gimmicky ramp. However in order for the hole to be useable, you need to first smooth out the edges, otherwise it's too sharp and can literally cut your skin off cleanly when you try to open it. I used spyderco triangle stone to polish the edge of the hole, works great after that.

Update: So I put the thumb ramp back on. I recently bought another Grik as a back up, and found I was able to open it much easier than before with the ramp (and I believe I posted about getting a Night Force and liking the ramp on that, but that is a larger knife). I think for me and my hands it turned out that the knife is simply a bit awkward, with or without the ramp, and I just needed to get used to it, which I have over the past several months.

I used a 0.035" hex...it felt a tad bit loose, but it worked.

Thanks!
The smallest hex I have is 3/64" and that's too big.

Last edited:
I'm guessing it's a 0.9mm hex. I ordered a hex set and I'll post here after it arrives.
But it could be torx. I would need magnification to even see it.

Last edited:
0.9mm is what worked for me on the Kahn. Now I have a 10mm "Spydiehole" that makes for an easier open.

EDIT: It's T2 torx

Last edited:
I don't understand the point of these short stubby shapatpened pry bar type of knives, Spyderco Techno, Bechmade MPR, this, what s the point, can someone tell me?

The point for me is that I don't want/need to carry a folding sword...a knife with a ~3 inch blade is perfect for my EDC needs, and easier to explain to the police if necessary. I was once at a bar when the police showed up saying that someone called to report someone had a gun. Apparently I matched the description and they pulled me outside and had to empty my pockets. At the time I was carrying a cheapo folder with probably a 2 1/2" blade, and they looked at it for a second and handed it back without saying a word.

Every CS knife fan should own a Grik. It's an anti-tactical pocket knife in appearance, but with tons of built-in tactical "feel".

1. That Tri Ad lock. It always starts with the reliable, solid, Tri Ad lock. CS has fine-tuned them so unlatching the lock is no longer quiet so ... challenging.

2. Taiwan made. Still, in my mind, a major step up from China, and CS's Taiwanese makers have matched the best of the Seki City product in terms of quality for years now.

3. "Real" AUS8 from a trustworthy Japanese foundry - it will be consistent formula and sheet thickness.

4. That rock solid blade tip, visually the most robust I've seen short of a tanto point. There is a slight swell in stock just behind the tip that adds strength. Not ideal for splinter removal, but there are other options for splinters and few options for a broken blade tip.

5. The factory cutting edge cuts copy paper as smoothly as we expect from CS factory edges.

6. A custom sharpener's edge (ApostleP from YouTube) on one of my Griks will slice flimsy cash register receipts, the type printed out on thermal paper.

7. The novel opening cylinder is bruises my thumb much less than traditional thumb studs.

8. Single, double, and clip removed pocket clip options. (Must use included spacers so the bolt tying the tail end of the handle can be used to tie the tail end of the handle together). Overall thickness of the front and rear ends of the handle doesn't change in any of the three set-ups - the pocket clip just fills in (or doesn't fill in) the middle section of the handle.

6. The plastic handle or handles do not have hot spots the way clips do. The softer than metal, wide and curved plastic pocket clips don't scrape our leather sofa (rear pocket placement).

First impression from pictures for many of us is that this is an ugly, silly knife with a cartoon name. BUT it was designed by Demko, and there is usually method to his madness, and after use, each one of the Grik's "quirks" now seems to make sense to me.

This is a great, great knife, it's just not "self-explanatory" like a Prolite, like the Medium Voyager, or even like the semi-novel Hold Out. You have to own it, play with it, and use it to appreciate just how well thought-out it actually is. While I prefer longer blades, who can argue with a practically "legal everywhere" true sub 3" blade that maximizes usable edge almost right up to the handle, vs. an inefficient Delica with a wasteful choil? (Best I can tell this is ever so slightly shorter than 3" so there is no ambiguity in legality.)

The best online video I've seen on this is Gideon's Tactical. He makes the Grik perform cutting chores I thought would be difficult if not impossible with a 3" blade with a non-reinforced handle (no metal plates inset in the handles).

Back