Grind on Criswell Blades

Hi Everyone,

I just posed this question to Hugh Teater, the man who kindly allowed me to put a 28" Criswell katana on layaway. I thought I'd throw it out here on the forum too and see what kind of response I got. Maybe Rob will answer directly if he happens to see this post.

I was discussing the sword with my sensei after showing him a pic. He liked it, in fact he had a different pic of the same sword on his computer because it caught his eye. He wasn't sure about the hollow grind. He said that some hollow-ground blades have a weak edge and are prone to chipping, bending, or wedging themselves in bones when cutting. (He meant wedging between bones in the ribcage, not when cutting a single bone, like a femur.) I told him about the first-hand accounts I've read of people going through heavy branches with their Criswell swords without damaging the edge. He told me to bring the sword for some tameshigiri (mat cutting) and takegiri (bamboo cutting) when I received it. I promised to do so, knowing that neither type of target would be a problem for the sword. I get the feeling my sensei has had negative experiences with other blades that look like Rob's, but weren't of similar quality.

So my question is, would any of the Criswell owners here comment? I'm interested in personal experiences, opinions, or most especially, if someone who knows Rob well has discussed this point with him. I know he has found a way to make his blades sharp and tough, but I'd realy like to know how he did it. I know the fact that his edges are so hard aren't the whole story, because a hard edge that isn't properly designed would be prone to chipping. I'm thinking its a combination of steel choice, heat treat, and grind, all blended wonderfully together. Is there anyone here who could enlighten me?

I have a Criswell 28" Katana with the G10 sheath (forgot the proper term, sorry) and it has been wonderful!

I have chopped into so many things with it (throwing boxes in the air and chopping them in half is loads of fun! :D) and the edge is still great! There is a small deformation in the edge near the tip, but I believe I stuck something hard (concrete, rock, etc) that caused it.

Believe me, you won't have to worry about the edge on any soft target.

Sorry to say, but I haven't had the guts to actually cut or chop something up with my Criswell Wakisashi yet. But, with the vacuum heat treated A2 blade, I am confident that it will stand up to anything I can put it through. Probably the toughest thing I will cut with it is some standing cornstalks though.

Originally posted by Danbo
Sorry to say, but I haven't had the guts to actually cut or chop something up with my Criswell Wakisashi yet. But, with the vacuum heat treated A2 blade, I am confident that it will stand up to anything I can put it through. Probably the toughest thing I will cut with it is some standing cornstalks though.

Come on! The Criswell just begs for abuse! Go find a tree you don't need anymore! :D

A2 is a great steel, suitable for cutting hard target such as oak and bamboo. Obata Sensei, founder of Shinkendo, used one of Phil Hartsfield's katanas (made from A2) to cut bamboo and 2x4 oak. There was no marking/chipping on the blade, so I hear.

Hartsfield uses different grind, he uses a flat grind while Criswell uses concave. However, I suspect it will perform as well as Hartfield's katana. Just remember, it's the technoque that counts. The sword is only the tool.

Have fun cutting....

:)

Originally posted by Steven Roos
Come on! The Criswell just begs for abuse! Go find a tree you don't need anymore! :D

That's not a bad idea. There's a sapling in our front yard that might be dying. I've been thinking of replacing it. Maybe I should call a few friends from the dojo and order pizza.

Hiya...

You shouldn't worry about your Criswell blade much...

Many people who buy the Criswell swords are interested in something "tactical" looking, tough, and relatively inexpensive. Many of them do not practice an orthodox form of swordsmanship, though some do. I would not mind picking one of the newer models up someday, to see how it cuts, but I cannot currently afford that.

They are popular swords, and while most people who use their Criswell blades have not put it to use that will cause serious damage (I know a few folks who use cheap stainless swords for cutting without incident...and as much as people say "it's an accident waiting to happen," they likely have no real idea how much a decent "wallhanger" can take), there have been no reports of serious failures or big cracks or chips or anything developing, no taffy-like bending, etc.

The edge geometry isn't something that will cause you major problems, because while a hollow grind "in theory" is weaker at the edge than a convex or flat grind, most good blades of flat or convex grind do not have a secondary bevel. Not only this, but the Criswells I've seen have had fairly modest hollow grinds, not deep at all. Any "strength" you're losing is going to be so minor you won't notice it even in hefty use.

As far as the names...if you are stepping far away from traditional style, I don't think maintaining traditional names is necessary. It's not even extremely necessary for Nihonto :D.

Scabbard is saya though ;):p

Originally posted by Robert Marotz
The edge geometry isn't something that will cause you major problems, because while a hollow grind "in theory" is weaker at the edge than a convex or flat grind, most good blades of flat or convex grind do not have a secondary bevel. Not only this, but the Criswells I've seen have had fairly modest hollow grinds, not deep at all. Any "strength" you're losing is going to be so minor you won't notice it even in hefty use.

Yea, I would agree. The difference in strength would be very minimal. However, I bet it reduces weight significantly. My Criswell feels light as a feather!

Originally posted by Robert Marotz
As far as the names...if you are stepping far away from traditional style, I don't think maintaining traditional names is necessary. It's not even extremely necessary for Nihonto :D.

Scabbard is saya though ;):p

Thanks! ;)

Back