Grinding Battle Rat from 6mm down to 4mm Pig Sticker. What does it take?

Are the pics showing (previous page) and no one has any comments?

Or they're showing and there have been fatal reactions?

This ^^^^

It's like looking face to face with Medusa. :eek: I alone survived to post about it because I turned my back on the monitor and looked at my screen in the reflection of a bronze shield.

I kid, I kid :p...IMO,it doesn't look as bad as I imagined. You should be able to even that out with a belt.

Or you could use some sandpaper on a strop block for a more "therapeutic" <read: time consuming> grinding session...it builds character. ;)

I know it can be made right...

It was posted for sale as convexed...

Yikes. That would have been a nice blade. All set up with Armorall leather too. I'd like to give it a trip across the 2x48 and see what happens. I'll bet it would resurrect pretty well.

I was considering getting it to properly convex it (by hand, that's how I roll), but the asking price was too high for what it looks now.
Keep in mind that it was done on a bench grinder stone...

The good news is that he didn't get above the saber grind in too many spots. I'll bet a properly ground full height convex would make it look great again. But man, no way do I have the patience to do a blade that large by hand.

Are the pics showing (previous page) and no one has any comments?

Yikes! :eek:
This is what happens when you don't know what you're doing and you try it with an expensive knife!!!
As far as rehabing it goes, I don't think I'd buy it... I'm fairly certain he destroyed the HT with the bench grinder!

Thanks Elof, my curiosity has been made nauseous ! :confused:

Well, there are no visible spots of discoloration, so it is possible that HT hasn't been affected...

It might be doable, but at pretty high risk of messing up either the grind or the HT. You'd be doing something pretty unique, with likely some kind of completely custom setup, and few people will be qualified to give you good advice. You'd be best served to take your question over to the shop talk forum and ask there.

However, I suspect you'll get the same advice as you have here. I personally think a grinding wheel is a terrible idea, especially if you're doing the stock removal by hand. It's just asking for an accident. Good luck!

BTW, here's a couple pics of what I still think you might want to consider instead, the Battle Guard:

Basically a full-flat ground Battle Rat with a guard. Perfect pig sticker IMO! (Especially with my re-worked tip.)

Let us know how it goes. If you're really serious about wanting only 4mm thickness, you might almost want to consider some kitchen knives at that point.

PS - The Battle Guard feels VERY light and fast in-hand (yes, that's mine in the pics). The flat grind and guard serve to pull the balance point much further aft than the Battle Rat, and it still weighs a bit less than a BR. The flat-ground Satin Battle Rat (SBR) is 1.5oz lighter than the BR at 15oz versus 16.5oz. I wouldn't call any of them heavy knives for their size.
Hmm! is that the famous penetrator tip there.^^^

Back