grinding bevels

hey guys, i was wondering what people were using to grind bevels around the ricasso area to round out the shoulder? i'm using chainsaw files right now and it's quite time consuming, not to mention it takes a while to get them even and to get all the large scratches out. most of my tools and equipment are pretty rudimentary, but i'm looking into buying some more quality gear in the future, and any advice would be welcome.

thanks

Attachments

• DSC02180.jpg
    DSC02180.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 123
Are you talking about the plunge lines at the ricaso? I can't seem to get my plunge lines to look right when using chainsaw files. I just keep practicing freehand with my 2x42 craftsman. Some use a file guide to set the plunges. Once they're set, you can run a J flex weight belt about 1/16 to 1/8 off the edge of the platen and it should round them off nicely.

thanks bug... i don't even have a true belt grinder. i have a really old third hander with rounded off platens and a ton of vibrations, lol. i'm looking into getting some replacement tools soon, but that damn money keeps getting in the way. and yes, the chainsaw files is a reall asspain to get right, but that's how i've been pulling it off lately. it just takes "elbow grease" as stated above... too much of it, i'm afraid.

Use good files, have your knife firmly clamped down so you can put plenty in to it, make sure you don't contact the file on the return stroke so you keep it sharp.

yeah, that guy has a few tips for sure. that's pretty much how i'm doing it now as well, i just don't measure and colour in as much. i was more wondeering how some guys (and companies for that matter) grind their bevels so accurately as i never seen to be able to and was looking to speed up my method a bit.

thanks bug... i don't even have a true belt grinder. i have a really old third hander with rounded off platens and a ton of vibrations, lol. i'm looking into getting some replacement tools soon, but that damn money keeps getting in the way. and yes, the chainsaw files is a reall asspain to get right, but that's how i've been pulling it off lately. it just takes "elbow grease" as stated above... too much of it, i'm afraid.

To help not bending the chainsaw file, for me it's working to paste (epoxy or other strong bond paste) to a stock (thickness side), like it is the edge of a knife...it helps also following the gig/guide. When the plunges are set, i use the rolled edge of a flexible belt out of the platen...Hope it helps :)

sure does... and I tried using the video tips to blacken the blade and keep a better eye on where i'm filing. i'm going to try out your gluing the edge trick as well, as that's one of the biggest ass pains for me as well.

I do everything on the grinder; just takes a bit of practice.

clean lines johnathan, however my grinder isn't good enough for that kind of accuracy... stuck with files and sandpaper for the details yet i'm afraid. that's my reason for starting this forum really, as I'm wondering what kind of jigs and grinders guys are using so i know what direction to go when i upgrade.

Back