Grinding!

Daniel Fairly Knives

Full Time Knifemaker
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Here's a quick video of me grinding a W2 Pocket Fighter.

Earlier I clay coated the blade and brine quenched it. I then ground the blade to around 320 and hand rubbed it from 220-1000 grit. I spent the afternoon doing the sanding and etched and sanded the blade for hamon until late last night.

[video=youtube_share;eeZosCZtalE]http://youtu.be/eeZosCZtalE[/video]

Nice,can't wait to see the first finished Fairly hamon.(ha moan) ;)

Nice,can't wait to see the first finished Fairly hamon.(ha moan) ;)

Thanks! This will be the first really good one for sure!

Daniel is that one for an order or is that the one your keeping for yourself? Looks bad ass for sure!!!

I want to keep it but will put it up for sale, it is getting a cord wrap over rayskin (black or white?) and a leather sheath.

It is almost like a smaller version of the .360" knife I'm making for you, I really like the fighter style.

Oh my now ya got me excited even more!!! My next one from you is going to blow peoples minds away!! You are psychic for reading my mind and e-mails to get me exactly what I want!!!! I would put it up against any Busse in the 8 inch blade category!! My 454 cross draw on my left hip and a DFK Bowie on my right hip.That is my woods bumming equipment!

Oh my now ya got me excited even more!!! My next one from you is going to blow peoples minds away!! You are psychic for reading my mind and e-mails to get me exactly what I want!!!! I would put it up against any Busse in the 8 inch blade category!! My 454 cross draw on my left hip and a DFK Bowie on my right hip.That is my woods bumming equipment!

:D It's going to kick ass!!!

I'm still working on the hamon of this one, it is looking pretty good so far.

Its amazing how much effort it takes to bring that transition line out in the steel. I know the last one I did on a mini took forever.

-Xander

Its amazing how much effort it takes to bring that transition line out in the steel. I know the last one I did on a mini took forever.

-Xander

It is no joke! I have about two and a half days into the hamon work. I have read all the tutorials I can find and etched/sanded about a million times now.

I have big respect for those who can bring a hamon out nicely, it is very tough!

Something else I have only seen in a couple obscure posts about hamons, it covering the transition line with nail polish and etching with different acids above and below.

-Xander

Something else I have only seen in a couple obscure posts about hamons, it covering the transition line with nail polish and etching with different acids above and below.

-Xander

I could see that working for sure. I may have to try that one day.

I have been going mostly by Nick Wheeler and Don Fogg's tutorials, they both get the kind of hamon I like and have great tips. I am pretty happy with it so far but it is nothing like the work those guys do! :cool:

FWIW- When I did that one polishing thread, I was taking every clay hardened blade to 2500X, this past year I have been stopping at 1200 or 1500... which saves quite a bit of time.

I never polish two blades in exactly the same manner, but you do get to a point where you have some semblance of consistency in your process, and then you start whittling down the time it takes.... a lot. :)

FWIW- When I did that one polishing thread, I was taking every clay hardened blade to 2500X, this past year I have been stopping at 1200 or 1500... which saves quite a bit of time.

I never polish two blades in exactly the same manner, but you do get to a point where you have some semblance of consistency in your process, and then you start whittling down the time it takes.... a lot. :)

Thanks! I decided to keep it around 1000 grit which was still a ton of work. I feel I have learned a lot on this one and will continue to improve my process.

By the way, I shouldn't have said tutorial because there really wasn't one. I just glean as much information as I can from your posts! :D Much appreciated...

I did the cord wrap today along with some other ones, these are all epoxy soaked and drying as I write this.

The photo is horrible! Shop light lighting... will get better ones later.

That's black cord over cream colored rayskin on the fighter, there is a gem grade dinosaur bone menuki on the back. I cut and polished the menuki myself from local area dinosaur bone.

002-11.jpg

Local dino bone?! Dude, that's awesome on so many levels. I dig stuff like that. Your cord wraps are looking great, now we just have to teach you how to make rope gromets for a guard, rather than a turks head. I think that would be cool.

-Xander

Local dino bone?! Dude, that's awesome on so many levels. I dig stuff like that. Your cord wraps are looking great, now we just have to teach you how to make rope gromets for a guard, rather than a turks head. I think that would be cool.

-Xander

Sounds cool, I have considered something like that especially for a sword.

Back