Grits of sandpaper for convex sharpening

Brutus013

BANNED
I'm going to attempt to start convexing a couple of my knives, but I'm wondering what grits of sandpaper I should get before I start. What grit should I start with if a knife is dull, and how should I work my way up through the grits to a finished edge? I'll also eventually get a strop with some compound, so I don't need any sandpaper higher than the equivalent of a 1000 grit stone.

I went to my local Walmart and purchased all the grit options they had in the automotive section up to 2000. I think my rough grit is 150 for turning a "v" grind into a convex bevel or recrafting an edge that is completely shot.

If I had to guess, this is the list that I use:

then I progress onto a homemade "old leather belt" strop charged with green rouge.

EDIT: This is what I used on an old mouse pad on my first convex sharpening attempt and was the first knife edge I had ever stropped outside of a straight razor. It produced and edge on a yellow handled "Ranger" knife that happily tree topped (cut arm hair without contacting the skin) hair.

Good luck!

Doug

Last edited:
I've seen video of people stopping at 600 grit wet dry and shaving arm hair.

I would suggest 40(for extremely damaged blades), 120, 220, 400, 800, 1200, 2500 grit, and a strop with Chromium Oxide.

Back