Recommendation? Groomsmen gift

Hello all,

Looking to get my groomsmen a fixed blade knife for a gift. Most of my groomsmen will be carrying this knife for hard use applications. A few of them are airborne rangers, a marine, and two hunting guides. Looking for a knife I can get them. Budget is about 200-300 per blade. Any recommendations would be fantastic as you all probably have forgotten more about blades than i could possibly hope to learn before my wedding.

Regards,
Jolley

Falknivens are a classy knife in about that price range.

If they are supposed to wear them or something. It would set off a suit nicely.

Last edited:
I'm not quite sure whether you're looking for a "classy" & elegant looking knife that can also stand up to hard use, or just for a straight up hard use fixed blade. Please clarify. Certainly plenty to be found for both categories in that price range.

Last edited:
Congratulations.

I don't know enough about paratrooping or hunter guiding to be any use.
Are you thinking of a general utility knife rather than a sentry-sticker or a meat cleaver?

Welcome to Bladeforums J Jolley23 , and congratulations too.

Once you narrow your choice down, consider looking to DLT, super selections and extremely fast shipping (almost always same day).

They are a paid Supporting Dealer here on Blade forums, and the owner regularly checks in and is very responsive.

Highly recommend by many members here, and they even do engraving too if you should wish to add something to your knives.

I’ll tag Jordan for you, he will see your post now, and I’m sure he will keep an eye out if you should have a question for him.

Congratulations again🍻

Jordan@DLT Jordan@DLT

Maybe a Benchmade fixed blade Adamas? Totally your call but when I was carrying a ruck on the regular weight was always a top consideration. The only thing I carried was a gerber multi tool on my belt. Very nice gesture on your part.

Apparently there have been a lot of counterfeit F1s showing up on the market. Got an email from Fallkniven about how to identify them - so, watch out for that if you go that route.

Complete transparency - I've never been a Benchmade fan. That said, I've seen a lot of folks lately saying that the cost to performance ratio has become somewhat lopsided. I've always felt that way.

In your shoes, I'd be looking at options from Great Eastern Cutlery, White River, LT Wright, Quiet Carry, Tactile Knife Co., Becker, Buck, Bradford, Dauntless Mfg., -- typing this out, I'm realizing there are a LOT of really great and fairly affordable fixed blade options out there!

Hogue EX-F02, all day long, and $50 less then your lowest budget. American made, 4.5" in 154CM steel.

If you want a knife in the 5.5" to 7" range. The EX-F01 models. There's a variety of handles and blade designs. Same American made in A2 steel. $225 bucks.

Wow, you are very generous. My first son in law had ten groomsmen. I have to agree with those who recommend the right tool for the job.

I don't know what your time frame is, but consider a custom from one of the many outstanding makers on this forum.

I'm not quite sure whether you're looking for a "classy" & elegant looking knife that can also stand up to hard use, or just for a straight up hard use fixed blade. Please clarify. Certainly plenty to be found for both categories in that price range.
Not classy looks do not matter. Functionality and reliability are the main factors. If my guys end up carrying them I need to know they can trust their lives to them.

Here's some American made options which may work:

- ESEE 4 (can be had in 1095 carbon steel or S35VN stainless; S35VN probably has better edge retention but 1095 will be tougher and less likely to break)

- Buck 119 (available in 420HC or S35VN for nearly 4x the price. I would get S35VN)

- Buck 104 Compadre (coated 5160 blade will be tough and not be reflective, if that matters to anyone)

- KA-BAR USMC (classic design which is also available in stainless)

- KA-BAR/Becker BK-18 or BK-19

These are all good, general purpose knives that will do well for hunting, outdoor work, and possibly combat (I'm not in the service, so idk).
There's lots of other options. You will have more selections if you clarify whether you want a more utilitarian design or a combat driven design. Stainless vs carbon steel. Etc.

Not classy looks do not matter. Functionality and reliability are the main factors. If my guys end up carrying them I need to know they can trust their lives to them.
Thank you. In that case, I'm gonna recommend a knife that's not usually talked about on this forum; Fox FX-103. It would work well in pretty much any category, whether its for a hunter or a soldier.

Should add that the Benchmade Adamas comes molle ready. Based on my exp if you’re not a direct action hitter you’re going to catch shit for carry something like this. The guys that do this kind of work usually get issued what they need.
IMG_4637.jpeg

Last edited:

Then I suggest taking a look at navman navman ,
He’s been over there and done that, and knows first hand what works.

Go to his profile that I linked and contact him. He’s a Knifemaker here on Bladeforums.

Apparently there have been a lot of counterfeit F1s showing up on the market. Got an email from Fallkniven about how to identify them - so, watch out for that if you go that route.
I saw one on sale in Bulgaria. Both knife and packaging looked presentable, but the knife was blunt :thumbsdown:

How about something from Ukraine? :thumbsup:

Have one of the great knife makers on this forum make you knives. GL Drew makes great knives at fair prices I have a few and use them often.

Assuming you are in the US and you may need a few of these, don't believe you could be disappointed by Buck's selection of fixed blades, very decent choice and good quality at non extortionate prices. Easy to replace or return if there's any problem. Custom makers, well more expensive and could be a longish wait, as with overesas knives etc.

Buck have their own forum here and you'll be sure to get specific ideas there if you so want.

Last edited:
No recommendations from me, just comment. I remember similar request several years ago. Groom bought GEC Beer Scouts for the groomsmen…great idea for a gift.

Back