GSI GUIDECAST Dutch Oven?

GUIDECAST Dutch Oven
60602_0_i_1512x.jpg

I have been thinking about a camping oriented Dutch Oven. This GSI Guidecast option looks like it might be a winner being a bit lighter but, still cast iron. I'm not interested in the aluminum options due to hot spots and possible burning of food on a campfire or with coals. I know Lodge is a proven long term good choice but, a bit less weight seems like a good idea.

Does anyone use this line of Dutch Ovens? How do they compare to using something like a classic Lodge or the popular Camp Chef line of cast iron? I'm receptive to comments on Aluminum versions but, I'm really looking for even heating and heat retention for things like breads (biscuits, cornbread, etc.) and the more classic beans, chili, stews, etc. Comments on other lines are welcome but, I want to stay under $100 'street' for this Dutch Oven so, while I'm interested in premium brands like Butter Pat and similar options, they are simply too expensive and not really targeted at camping to be a viable contender for my purchase. I'm thinking a 12" base for breads but, a 10" would probably also work out well for me. Comments on a 10" vs. 12" option for solo or a couple of people usage are also welcome thinking a 10" would probably only matter for some bread bakes with crowding of biscuits and similar things as ~4qt of stew, beans, etc. is a lot for two or three people and a 12" model may be a bit much to heat for solo cooking.

I use Staub mainly at home but, premium enameled cookware isn't a reasonable travel and camping option for me. If you really think a $99 special Staub 4qt from Zwilling is a good idea, that is a possibility. I should also note that I typically travel with a 3~4qt pressure cooker for use with beans at modest elevations so this won't be my only "big" pot. Everything I else I typically use are <1L Titanium cups, mugs, pots, ...

TIA,
Sid

I have a 25 yo GSI aluminum, and a Lodge CI. Both 12"

I prefer the Lodge, but the GSI will be just fine.

Back