GSO 4.1 vs 4.7 vs 5

Am I right in thinking that the 6 will be in normal production later on, just not part of the starter? Will any other models be added to the starter?

Yep, Guy hasn't had a chance to solidify the updated GSO-6. We don't want to offer something that isn't completely figured out. It will be available as part of the regular GSO lineup in the future.

There won't be any other models added to the starter. We already went back and forth quite a bit with the current list. We wanted to make sure there was a good mix between large and small knives without being too overwhelming. It was hard because we are very excited about all of the updated models and can't wait to see them.

Slightly off-topic, but I believe the ESEE and TOPs sheaths are all made by Armory Plastics, LLC in Idaho Falls, ID. They do kydex work as well. Something to look into, Guy & Ellie? Not that I want business taken from Kiah, love his sheaths and your price for them is WELL below market$$ :thumbup:
I've been making firesteel-loops out of scrap kydex and belt-leather left-over from making my extension attachments - they are really easy to make yourself, especially the leather pieces which I think are a better fit. Anyone interested in one can drop me a PM.

P1030066.JPG

P1030069.JPG

P1030072.JPG

P1030075.JPG

A key question is whether the GSO-4.7 will have a skeletonized handle or not. The 5 feels very different from the 4.1 in hand because it is not skeletonized. I did have a 5, but then changed to a 5.1 because I felt that if I was going to carry the extra weight, may as well have a bit more reach on the blade so that it will chop (hack) better.

A key question is whether the GSO-4.7 will have a skeletonized handle or not. The 5 feels very different from the 4.1 in hand because it is not skeletonized. I did have a 5, but then changed to a 5.1 because I felt that if I was going to carry the extra weight, may as well have a bit more reach on the blade so that it will chop (hack) better.

The handle of the GSO-4.7 will not be skeletonized. It is also a little less tall of a blade than the GSO-5 though and it will be a blade thickness of .175" vs the .188" of the GSO-5. I had always felt that the GSO-5 felt a little bit bulky for its size, so it was my intention to change that and some other things with a design revision. What I ended up with was an entirely new model.

I need to know the exact blade lenght of the new 4.7 from tip to front handle (not cutting edge). Maximum allowed blade length tip to front of scales in germany is 12 cm or 4.72 inch :-(
I am about to help you guys with a starter order but pics of a new model (geometry, finish, etc) would be really helpful.
Are the 4.1 knives that should be available the next few weeks the new version that has been updated (2015 model) ?
One more thing: does it make a difference for the delivery date on the new starter 4.7 if someone orders now or lets say in two or three weeks ? Would give the folks the option to check out the knife first without beeing at the end of the delivery line.
Survive! Knives are hard to come by, people buy them when i'm sleeping here 😴

Last edited:

+1 on that! When the 5.1 was released I'd stayed up reloading the site until half an hour before they where released. Luckily I found one second hand the day after...

We should take turns staying up late and placing a combined order. ;)

Slightly off-topic, but I believe the ESEE and TOPs sheaths are all made by Armory Plastics, LLC in Idaho Falls, ID. They do kydex work as well. Something to look into, Guy & Ellie? Not that I want business taken from Kiah, love his sheaths and your price for them is WELL below market$$ :thumbup:
I've been making firesteel-loops out of scrap kydex and belt-leather left-over from making my extension attachments - they are really easy to make yourself, especially the leather pieces which I think are a better fit. Anyone interested in one can drop me a PM.

Thanks so much for the info! You always bring something awesome to the table. ;)

I need to know the exact blade lenght of the new 4.7 from tip to front handle (not cutting edge). Maximum allowed blade length tip to front of scales in germany is 12 cm or 4.72 inch :-(
I am about to help you guys with a starter order but pics of a new model (geometry, finish, etc) would be really helpful.
Are the 4.1 knives that should be available the next few weeks the new version that has been updated (2015 model) ?
One more thing: does it make a difference for the delivery date on the new starter 4.7 if someone orders now or lets say in two or three weeks ? Would give the folks the option to check out the knife first without beeing at the end of the delivery line.

I'll try to go in order here:

The blade length for the GSO-4.7 is exactly 4.75". The handle is actually pretty forward swept on the spine side to better cradle the webbing between your thumb and index finger, otherwise the blade length would be closer to 5".

We are going to have the new modeling images posted up over the next few days. The first ones will be the 2.7 and 12, with the 4.7 getting done right after.

Every model being offered over the next few weeks is going to be from a previous production run and will be included in the spring cleaning sale, with a huge 20% discount. I just want to clean out all of our current inventory and get ready for exciting new production. You guys and girls may have also noticed that we've adjusted the prices of models where we can, in addition to any sale prices. I really want your business and I'm going to prove it. We're permanently lowering prices where we can, while at the same time improving our standard. We now have free domestic standard shipping and lower priced International shipping. I want SURVIVE! to be the first name that comes to mind when you want a high quality cutting tool.

As far as SURVIVE! Starter orders go, each model is done in a production batch, so all the knives in each batch will be finishing up about the same time. We will be building and shipping in the order that the orders were placed though. The people who were first in line will definitely be getting theirs first.

Below is a preview image of the new multi-step peened surface finish. This process completely stress relieves the blade surface and produces a beautiful finish. The corners and lines remain very crisp and sharp. Being peened, it isn't quite a flat finish but it is much less reflective. This is one of a handful of samples produced while researching different surface finishes and examining various industrial equipment needed to finish blades on a production scale. I unfortunately sold the sample pieces but we'll be getting more images and videos posted soon, when our own equipment begins to arrive. I'm very excited about where things are going and I can't wait to share the experience with all of you.

New Finish.jpg

Last edited:
All these changes are really exciting. I'm definitely going to get in on a starter knife, I will just wait a little to let the Solidwork pics help make up my mind about which one.

As far as buying some of the old models (current production) would it be better to hold off on buying credit to buy the knife sooner? I'd like to help out as much as I can, but I'm not sure if clearing out the old stuff will have a conflicting timeline with when store credit will be available.

Thanks, Guy and Ellie. It is evident you've been working extra hard lately. And it's been really cool to see you both so quick to respond on the forum and Facebook!

Last edited:
All these changes are really exciting. I'm definitely going to get in on a starter knife, I will just wait a little to let the Solidwork pics help make up my mind.

As far as buying some of the old models (current production) would it be better to hold off on buying credit to buy the knife sooner? I'd like to help out as much as I can, but I'm not sure if clearing out the old stuff will have a conflicting timeline with when store credit will be available.

Thanks, Guy and Ellie. It is evident you've been working extra hard lately. And it's been really cool to see you both so quick to respond on the forum and Facebook!

If you're looking to get one of the sale blades I would definitely hold off on buying any store credit and just buy the knife when they come available. We won't be converting any purchased store credits until May 1st, to avoid any possible double dipping during the SURVIVE! Starter. Without the delay in converting the store credits it would be possible for a person to purchase say, $2,700 in store credit, get 15% interest added to it and then turn around and purchase SURVIVE! Starter knives with it, saving an additional 10% It would just be wholly counterproductive to what we're trying to accomplish with this campaign.

Thanks for the kind words. We're both really excited and looking forward getting all of this new production started. I'm addicted to equipment myself, so I can't wait for the new toys to start arriving. I absolutely love manufacturing and working with my hands.

One thing about all the exciting new models and updates that hasn't been mentioned: Will the steel choices remain the same? I'm especially wondering about the 4.7 and 2.7. Thanks, Guy, for any sneak previews you can provide...Can't wait to see the photos. And feel better soon.

Thx Survive! - that 4.7 blade is 0,026 inch too long for German weapon restrictions ;-) I can live with that.

The tumbled finish looks better than the new one,
more Survive! tool like. Looking forward to see the new 4.7 shots.

If you're looking to get one of the sale blades I would definitely hold off on buying any store credit and just buy the knife when they come available. We won't be converting any purchased store credits until May 1st, to avoid any possible double dipping during the SURVIVE! Starter. Without the delay in converting the store credits it would be possible for a person to purchase say, $2,700 in store credit, get 15% interest added to it and then turn around and purchase SURVIVE! Starter knives with it, saving an additional 10% It would just be wholly counterproductive to what we're trying to accomplish with this campaign.

Thanks for the kind words. We're both really excited and looking forward getting all of this new production started. I'm addicted to equipment myself, so I can't wait for the new toys to start arriving. I absolutely love manufacturing and working with my hands.

One thing about all the exciting new models and updates that hasn't been mentioned: Will the steel choices remain the same? I'm especially wondering about the 4.7 and 2.7. Thanks, Guy, for any sneak previews you can provide...Can't wait to see the photos. And feel better soon.

When you add a knife to your cart the 2 steel choices remain 3v and 20cv for applicable models. Guy must still be happy with these steels.

Ellie, you answered my question. I definitely understood the double dipping situation with buying credit and getting starter deals. I just didn't want to miss out on "helping" to clean out inventory by getting my funds saved for later as credit. Thanks!

Just my $0.02 but the 4.1 and 5 are two totally different knives. The 5 has a bigger handle, is heavier, thicker and has a longer and taller blade than the 4.1. The 4.7 seems between the two. Below are the statistics.

I find that the 4.1 blade geometry is perfect for a small to small med blade. I love the height of the blade and light weight for doing small tasks, carving and doing finer carving work. The 4.1 is just a better knife of the two. Because of it's size it can do 90% to 95% of the work you'll do with a knife around the camp site, home, field, etc. It's the perfect EDC knife.

The 5 being the bigger, longer, heavier, thicker blade allows it to tackle larger tasks, like chopping, batoning and even digging, that would be hard for the 4.1. The 5 is nimble and light enough to do smaller tasks but I find that I ALWAYS reach for my 4.1 for these jobs.

If I had to go into the field with one knife I would choose 4.1 for regular every day field work/hunting, hiking and camping. I would choose the 5.0 for more extreme camping or survival situations. Having both is the best of both worlds.

Lastly, just to throw a monkey wrench into the mix, I suggest you get a new or old 4.1 and get a 6 or a 7/7 for bigger tasks. It's the perfect 2 knife solution that gives you a huge range of tasks that you can accomplish in a very light weight and very easy to pack/carry package. The nice thing about Survive! Knives is that they are a lot less expensive than other boutique semi-custom (and high quality) knives on the market. So you get two or more knives and not be broke.

Best of luck!

Old 4.1
Blade Length: 4.25” (tip to front of handle)
Blade Cutting Length: 4.33”
Blade Height: 1.25”
Blade Thickness: 5/32”(.156”)
Overall Length: 8.95”
On my scale it weighs 8.2 oz with canvas micarta scales without sheath

Starter 4.1
Blade Length: 4.43” (tip to front of handle)
Blade Thickness: .160"
Overall Length: 9.43”

Old 5.0
Blade Length: 5” (tip to front of handle)
Blade Cutting Length: 5”
Blade Height: 1.5”
Blade Thickness: 3/16”(.188”)
Overall Length: 9.85”
Weight: (Knife Only) 10.5oz. (W/Sheath) 13.6oz.
On my scale it weighs 13.7 oz with canvas micarta scales without a sheath

Starter 4.7
Blade Length: 4.75"
Blade Height: 1.37"
Blade Thickness: .175"
Overall Length: 9.72"

Last edited:
Old 4.1
Blade Length: 4.25” (tip to front of handle)
Blade Cutting Length: 4.33”
Blade Thickness: 5/32”(.156”)
Overall Length: 8.95”
On my scale it weighs 8.2 oz with canvas micarta scales without sheath

Old 5.0
Blade Length: 5” (tip to front of handle)
Blade Cutting Length: 5”
Blade Height: 1.5”
Blade Thickness: 3/16”(.188”)
Overall Length: 9.85”
Weight: (Knife Only) 10.5oz. (W/Sheath) 13.6oz.
On my scale it weighs 13.7 oz with canvas micarta scales without a sheath

I think you may need to zero your scale. Those without sheath weights seem suspiciously high.

I think you may need to zero your scale. Those without sheath weights seem suspiciously high.

Yeah, seems off. My GSO-4.1 in M390 with canvas micarta weighed 6.4oz without the sheath, GSO-5.1 (bigger than the GSO-5) weighed 11.2 oz + 3.75 oz sheath.

"Lastly, just to throw a monkey wrench into the mix, I suggest you get a new or old 4.1 and get a 6 or a 7/7 for bigger tasks. It's the perfect 2 knife solution that gives you a huge range of tasks that you can accomplish in a very light weight and very easy to pack/carry package."

A monkey wrench, indeed! I've wanted a 5 for so long that I think I should go for it, especially because now it will be like owning a piece of history. I think this size and weight could do most things well. Blackscout Survival on youtube really got me thinking about the 4.1 + 7/7 and now that the new 7/7 will be slightly bigger, it makes even more sense.

Regardless of exactness of weight, thanks for taking the time to put all the specs up. I'm torn because the 4.7 really is right in the middle.

Brummie and Chiral, thanks for "weighing in". Hahahaha.

Last edited:
SN - Just do what I did and get all three!! You can't go wrong. The other way you could go is to get a Necker II ($80 these days while they last) and a 5. That would also be a good pair.

I am sorry to see the 5 go. It's a GREAT knife.

Brummie and Chiral - I'll check my scale, TY!

SN - Just do what I did and get all three!! You can't go wrong. The other way you could go is to get a Necker II ($80 these days while they last) and a 5. That would also be a good pair.

I am sorry to see the 5 go. It's a GREAT knife.

Brummie and Chiral - I'll check my scale, TY!

My plan keeps on changing, but all three is the plan for now!

Back