Guns & Knives - My Favorites!

Of course, I have no Semi Auto's. :)

Ruger Blackhawk 41 Mag
Browning A-Bolt Lightweight Composite Stalker in 308
26 OZ 44 Mag Taurus. 4 Inch barrel Not pleasant on either end.;)

Attachments

• knife and gun 220.jpg
    knife and gun 220.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 18
  • knife and gun 115.jpg
    knife and gun 115.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 20
  • knife and gun 189.jpg
    knife and gun 189.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Nosh, Don't pass on the Ruger in favor of the S&W. I have worn out six S&W 357 Mags and have not phased the Ruger GP 100 yet. When it comes to Magnum calibers, Rugers are king. I have had a couple dozen K Frams The Ruger GP 100 is the way to go. The only 357 Mag S&W that I would buy is the old trooper model It was built on the L frame. If I were only going to shoot 38 Specials and just a few 357 Mag shells, then I would consider the 686.

I have been a Combat shooter for 30+ years, the smiths just take to much maintenance and re timing. I may get flamed for this but I been there.

In fairness to S&W, I am talking about 500-700 rounds a week.

Don't want to stray too far from the guns and knives topic, but if I were to get a Ruger GP 100 for woods carry, would you recommend 4" or 6"? Also keep in mind that I'm as novice a shooter as they come. In fact, I've never fired a hand gun.

S&W Model 15 .38 Special, with Rogers grips. My Grampa`s gun from when he was Chief Of Police in the town where I live.

wcojgw.jpg

Ruger Single Six .22 I`ve had this one forever.

2zxs2oi.jpg

Ruger New Model Vaquero in .357

2uh3b08.jpg

A few more.
Nosh, If it's not for concealed carry, the six inch will be much more shootable than the 4 inch. Not more accurate, but more shootable. Longer sight radius. I would go to a good shop so you can feel the difference in heft and balance. The four inch is a compromise between carry ability and shoot ability. For a new shooter the shorter the barrel, the faster you will become discouraged. IMO It is not easy to hit anything with a 2 inch barrel. They are meant for shooting across a room type ranges.

Attachments

• Picture 361.jpg
    Picture 361.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 26
Noshtero - get yourself a FOID card application (gun shop, police station) fill it out, get a picture, and send a check for $5. After you get it, the gun shops by me rent guns to try at their range before you buy. That way you can get a feel for what you want.

Noshtero - get yourself a FOID card application (gun shop, police station) fill it out, get a picture, and send a check for $5. After you get it, the gun shops by me rent guns to try at their range before you buy. That way you can get a feel for what you want.

Ya I let my FOID expire, so now I have to start from scratch again :)
Thanks I'll rent before I buy. That's a good idea.

I just put a 6" GP100 on layaway, didn't have my handgun purchase permit (pesky Nebraska regs) so I'll be getting the permit tomorrow, hopefully, then have the gun in a week or two. The gun was on sale for a hundred dollars off, though, so I decided I'd better grab it while it was there.

The Rugers are built like tanks. Love them. I've shot a few and I just love the Ruger .357s. Will be picking up more eventually, but after the GP100 my next gun will probably be either another shotgun or a Marlin in .35 Remmington.

Yeah that Gephart is a dandy, one of the first two JK's. The nessie was one of my remakes from a old skinner.

Last is my favorite, Kimber first year production .45 ACP, with a Keychain Companion. I`ve put a steel backstrap, Wilson trigger, titanium firing pin, and Ed Brown slide stop in it. It has never malfunctioned on me.

wtxb0p.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Ive been to the Ed Brown factory three times. Its only thirty miles away.

When my wife bought me mine(first year they came out) she paid $549.00. I have not been in a gun shop in over a year, too tempting!
No job = No toys :grumpy: Now she got cut to 24 hours a week. I`m glad our kids are grown and gone, or we would be in worse trouble than we are now!

Gotta take a pic of my Kephart and Marlin 22. Great combo for the woods. Right now its just my Crosman 1377 and HB, but we can dream, huh?

I agree on those Kimbers. Wow, still haven't gotten my SP101, on my list for a couple years now.

The only 357 Mag S&W that I would buy is the old trooper model It was built on the L frame. If I were only going to shoot 38 Specials and just a few 357 Mag shells, then I would consider the 686.

The 686 is built on the L frame too. I don't remember the trooper model but the old highway patrolman was built on the N frame (44 mag).

Got my letters mixed up the Old Hiway Patrol was the Model 27. I think they later chambered it in 41 mag, or that may have just been in the 57 and 58. I have had several of almost all of their models.

Some concealed carry ones. My favorite S&W 38 Special, The S&W Extreme Ops, the Spydy Pro-Grip The little Boker and a Vic Classic.

The Extreme ops is the knife that goes everywhere with me. I use it when I need a knife to abuse and it's never had a easy day. I scrape gaskets off, cut wires, cut leather and whittle. I got it seven years ago for 7.00 at the farm store here in town. The Progrip is my favorite Spyderco and works good for skinning. Normally the JK Key chain Companion would be in that group but I sent is back to John yesterday for a new Kydex sheath along with a Bark River for a new handle. Purple Heartwood.

Yes the pistol is loaded.:D

Attachments

• Picture 377.jpg
    Picture 377.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 9
I tried to post on this thread twice yesterday; both times I got a "token timed out" message. Still, it gave me time to take pics...

First up is my gun: Thunder Ranch Special, with my JK Hiker. The TRS is a masterpiece of machining; dead accurate and a pleasure to hold.

trs.jpg

The second is my wife's, a S&W 686P, with my Lava. I don't begrudge her buying one of the guns on my wishlist, because I get to enjoy shooting it! It's dead-on accurate and very versatile. The stock Hogue Monogrips fit me perfectly; the Pachmayr Compac grips she's wearing now fit my wife's hands much better.

Definitely a recommended gun.

686p.jpg

Heh, thanks!

The great thing about the 1911 is that there are so many beautiful specimens to choose from... :)

I very nearly went for a Kimber Raptor II, but the TRS spoke to me a little stronger, and fit my hand a little better. In retrospect, I think I made the right choice. Baers sure don't come cheap, though!

Back