Gurka Kukri Knives

Can anyone in the forum tell me who actually manufactures the Gurka Kukri for the British MOD for issue to the Gurkhas on passing out.

As I understand it, the military orders from one of, if not the lowest bidder and do not stick with any one maker year after year. Because of this there are a number of makers who have supplied kukhuris at one time or another. Therefore many makers can accurately state they have made knives for the military, but they may have only done so once. I'm not sure if anyone has a definitive list of suppliers over the years.

Hopefully someone will come along with more concrete information.

Thanks for the reply. It would be interesting if anyone has that information as to who supplied the Kukris to the UK MOD, since 182 (Falklands War) or as far back as possible..

Just do a search for "Khukuri House" and you will find about 20 different companies claiming to supply the kukri to the Gurkhas.

One thing to be sure, the kukri they all sell to the public as the current issue (BSI, BAS, Service No1, Jungle) is a much different kukri from the actually military issue. The blades sold on the open market are bigger, bigger handled, thicker, and heavier than the ones issued to the troops that have the "Ordep Nepal" marking on them.

Not sure if your interest is a historical one or an inquiry because you want to buy one, but either way the real answer may not be found. In any case, it is a substandard model compared to previous models and you should do your homework if you want to buy one as a user because these days many are non hardened or poorly hardened tourist trash. If you get a good one it could be a fun first kukri that lasts many years. Good luck.

Shortwinger - Thanks for your response. Yes Im looking to buy one, but also want a good steel hardened blade and was looking at trying to get an authentic British MOD issue/ Jungle Issue. Not interested in the over embellished tourist blades, some even look like the leather frogs and belt loops are made with very thin leather that wouldn't stand the test of time. May have to start hitting the antique shops in the UK !! Also worried about the new UK knife laws now in force in 2019 and whether you can still import or buy Kukri knives legally.

Good quality from Himalayan Imports, sub forum on here, the villager models are a good catch.

I know Tora Blades has a troubled reputation here, but I ordered one a year ago and have bern thoroughly impressed. Thin, light, long, and positively sings through limbs of wood or game being processed. I'm not sure if I've really put it through its paces but it has held up to seasoned hardwood without the blade chipping, rolling, or loosening in the handle. Note that I did need to whittle down the grip to make it comfortable, but no problems since.

By comparison, my kukhuri from Kukhuri House is short, fat, heavy and an utter disappointment. Suffice it to say that it is hardly able to cut through soft spruce without rolling the edge. I doubt the blade was even told it should be tempered.

I look forward to trying out a Himalayan Imports model someday to compare.

I know Tora Blades has a troubled reputation here, but I ordered one a year ago and have bern thoroughly impressed. Thin, light, long, and positively sings through limbs of wood or game being processed. I'm not sure if I've really put it through its paces but it has held up to seasoned hardwood without the blade chipping, rolling, or loosening in the handle. Note that I did need to whittle down the grip to make it comfortable, but no problems since.

By comparison, my kukhuri from Kukhuri House is short, fat, heavy and an utter disappointment. Suffice it to say that it is hardly able to cut through soft spruce without rolling the edge. I doubt the blade was even told it should be tempered.

I look forward to trying out a Himalayan Imports model someday to compare.
When you say your Kukri House models is not good is that the Kukri House Handicraft Industries (KHHI) or different manufacturer ? Do you have a link to the real Himalayan Imports website ?

Last edited:
Anyone bought a knife from Khukuri House Handicraft Industries, was looking at the Jungle Kukri (Training Knife) No 2 Issue.

Himalayan Imports link - https://himalayan-imports.com. But I think they are more accessible on their forum here.

HI and Tora both make a great version of the BAS. The difference in the two is that you will get many variations in the size, weight, and shape in the HI models. And you can even get what they call Villager models, which are more of the raw unpolished horn and satin finish blades. You can contact them directly and ask for a custom to be made with your specs or you can tell the owner Yandu what you are looking for and when blades come in that match it she will contact you.

Tora is more focused with reproducing the original military issued blades by copying the original specs. Not sure if they even offer the current issue since it is considered such a poor model but they do offer what they call the Original Pattern which is an absolutely fantastic kukri.

i have both the HI and Tora versions and you can't go wrong with either. Just do your homework, ask for what you want, tell them what you want to do with it, and wait for it. I have several other models from both companies and the quality is unbeatable.

I have purchased kukri from KHHI, Khukuri Palace, and my first kukri was a Jungle model from the Nepalese Khukuri House (NKH) which I still have and love. I bought a bunch of Service No 1 and Jungle models from Khukuri Palace for resale and asked for a specific weight range, all came in my specified range and all were properly hardened and good attention to detail. I will say that theses were all purchased around 2010 before the big kukri boom. It is more of a buyer beware environment now.

Himalayan Imports link - https://himalayan-imports.com. But I think they are more accessible on their forum here.

HI and Tora both make a great version of the BAS. The difference in the two is that you will get many variations in the size, weight, and shape in the HI models. And you can even get what they call Villager models, which are more of the raw unpolished horn and satin finish blades. You can contact them directly and ask for a custom to be made with your specs or you can tell the owner Yandu what you are looking for and when blades come in that match it she will contact you.

Tora is more focused with reproducing the original military issued blades by copying the original specs. Not sure if they even offer the current issue since it is considered such a poor model but they do offer what they call the Original Pattern which is an absolutely fantastic kukri.

i have both the HI and Tora versions and you can't go wrong with either. Just do your homework, ask for what you want, tell them what you want to do with it, and wait for it. I have several other models from both companies and the quality is unbeatable.

I have purchased kukri from KHHI, Khukuri Palace, and my first kukri was a Jungle model from the Nepalese Khukuri House (NKH) which I still have and love. I bought a bunch of Service No 1 and Jungle models from Khukuri Palace for resale and asked for a specific weight range, all came in my specified range and all were properly hardened and good attention to detail. I will say that theses were all purchased around 2010 before the big kukri boom. It is more of a buyer beware environment now.
Thanks for the detailed response, appreciated. I am looking for a original British issue, but quite liked the British Issue No 2 Jungle Training Kukri on the Khukuri House Handicraft Industry website, just not sure if they are a good manufacturer.

They are from a non retail manufacturing plant in nepal. You will only get "replica's or get given/inherit the real(to date) knife

Your best bet is to buy from a past provider!

What do you mean "a past provider" !!
Some sites have been mentioned throughout the thread with a few recommendations too as to where to purchase from. Each buyer have their own preferences for quality so check a few reviews before parting cash.
Good luck with the buy and be sure to post pics when bought!

Steve, Thanks for the reply. Whilst I am still researching, Im also unsure whether you can still legally import these knives now under the new UK Knife laws.

Steve, Thanks for the reply. Whilst I am still researching, Im also unsure whether you can still legally import these knives now under the new UK Knife laws.
Check with the supplier what you are ordering and how/if they will ship the item. Gifts and even garden implement can be used as item being sent which in most cases is actually correct!
Had recent delivery but unsure now myself how this may affect khukuris over 50cm
There is no shortage of sellers though advertising these so...

Last edited:
I have contacted a supplier in nepal regarding this matter.
I will post here with an update whilst you wait for others to reply with an answer, if any, when they get back to me

Contact Simon from Tora Blades about the import rules, he would know for sure. He is on FB.

Back