Gurkha Kukri - ‘working grade’

NapalmCheese , I am not trying to argue the point , just to give my opinion like you or any other forum member .You might not agree with the style of khukuri I prefer and I can live with that . If you search the forums there are many people who would agree with your choices just as there are many who would and do agree with my views . It just seems like every time someone disagrees with HI Khukuris , people get really upset , can we not just have a debate without that and agree to disagree .
Thanks .

Hello Pomsbz ,
There are various Khukuri House companies in Nepal who are given the contract to supply the British Army Brigade of Gurkhas and by all accounts it is all down to the cheapest bidder which does not fare too well as far as producing a quality khukuri goes . I own one and to be honest there is not a great deal of quality workmanship goes into them , that is probably why apart from using their issue khukuries for ceremonial duties , many of the Gurkha soldiers buy thair own from various companies in Nepal . This was proven to me recently when a "Kailash Blades " forum member contacted me to say that both his Father and Grandfather served within British Army Gurkha Regiments and they did not rate the standard issue , prefering to buy their own choice khukuris
I didn't know that. Rather surprising as the soldiers very much continue to use them as a weapon.

I wouldnt like to rely on the BSI as a weapon , as the blade only measures around 10.5 inches and the shape does not lend itself to much of a stabbing implement . If sharpened up it might be ok for small campcraft jobs like chopping wood , but do modern day infantry soldiers really need a tool for that on a daily basis . Remember when in the field on operational duties a combat soldier must be aware of every bit of extra weigh in his bergen (backpack) , so if it is true that Gurkha soldiers do buy their own khukuris from Nepal I can only think it would be as a secondary back up weapon of last resort .

I didn't know that. Rather surprising as the soldiers very much continue to use them as a weapon.
Regarding your initial question Pomsbz , If you really want a workhorse for a khukuri , I would go with what DangerZone 98 said and get a full tang panawall version of whichever model you are taken with .It all depends if you like traditional or more modern style khukuris and comes down to whatever takes your fancy . All the Nepalese companies make their own versions

I second the VUK's from HI. I've used one for 10+ years and it's the best all round user I've found. 16 inches and 19 oz's.

Regarding your initial question Pomsbz , If you really want a workhorse for a khukuri , I would go with what DangerZone 98 said and get a full tang panawall version of whichever model you are taken with .It all depends if you like traditional or more modern style khukuris and comes down to whatever takes your fancy . All the Nepalese companies make their own versions
I'm afraid I'm too disabled to trust myself with a chopper these days. I was just curious being English by birth, the Ghurkha soldiers had legendary status among us lads reading war exploits, etc.

I'm afraid I'm too disabled to trust myself with a chopper these days. I was just curious being English by birth, the Ghurkha soldiers had legendary status among us lads reading war exploits, etc.
Hello Pomsbz , No thats ok mate you dont have to own any kind of knife to have a certain interest and so I hope your disablement does not affect your life too much in a negative way . I too have a disablement that affects my everyday life caused by carrying out my duties ! Also like you I can remember growing up as a kid and hearing stories from my uncle about the legendary Gurkhas when he was fighting in the terrible hell holes of the First world war , the kids these days probably wouldnt know what the Gurkhas are ! As a matter of interest , I bought my first khukuri from an antique shop in Birmingham in or around 1965 , cost me £3 of my hard earned pocket money and as far as I can remember it was a bit rusty but over a period of a few months I cleaned it all up and it turned out to be quite a nice looking piece with its buffalo horn handle etc . Sometime in the early 80s a Squaddie friend of mine asked if he could have it , I reluctantly said yes , and have regretted it ever since . I am in the process of sending away to Kailash Blades in Nepal for one of their best selling models , mainly as a wall hanger ( although it may see a little use if I ever manage to get out to do some light bushcraft / camping again .
Anyway Pomsbz , take care and be safe .

Just to say that there are two khukuris issued by the British army: one is for dress uniform, polished of course, the other is for training and exercises etc. Like most British Army kit, procurement probably does scrape the bottom, and doubtless soldiers do indeed use their own khukuris, providing they look similar enough and fit in the standard issue sheath.

I can give you a couple of nice, and gentle, anecdotes about the Ghurka regiment. Are you sitting comfortably? Let me just put my slippers on and light my pipe. Now then...

I’ve been to a couple of investitures at Buck House. They are full of pomp and circumstance, held in the ballroom. You enter through the front, and then ascend stairs, flanked on either side by the Household Cavalry. Cuirasses, horse-hair plumed helmets, sabres held in salute, boots you can see your reflection in.

In the ballroom, a military band plays an interminable medley, everything from Danny Boy to Tea for Two, and the intonation deteriorates as the hours tick by. The whole thing is interminable, barring a couple of moments. The most important moment is, of course, when your family member receives a gong or gets batted with a blunt rapier, but the other moment is equally electrifying, or at least it was for me.

Prior to Brenda, sorry, Her Royal Highness Queen Elizabeth II, appearing, yet more bizarre and anachronistic uniforms appear, inhabited by equally anachronistic models. A troop of ancient Yeomen of the Guard, pikes shouldered, sway their way down the centre aisle. (One tends to worry that one of them might just peg out under the strain, and slice a minor celebrity’s head off in the process.)

And then, all is anticipation, all is baited breath, when the bloody chamberlain or some such appears and gives out the Parish notices, or words to that effect. And then, only then, the monarch, if you are lucky and it isn’t Charles, comes out.

Now, she isn’t a big imposing lady. She is rather petite, and probably rather nice, or so I hear. But, out she comes. And who, I ask you, is providing close protection to England’s longest reigning monarch of all time?

Could it be some deceptively wiry looking chaps in civvies? An outrageously overdressed brace of Household Guardsmen? Royal Marines, perhaps? That would be appropriate, and they do scrub up well.

Nope. Two diminutive Ghurkas, left and right. No firearms. Two soldiers, two khukuris. No fancy dress uniform either. It was, as I say, electrifying, and very, very pleasing to me at the time.

The other rather nice moment was at the home of cricket, Lord’s. For test matches, the armed forces take it in turns to provide security for the ground, and their bands play on the pitch during lunch. The first day I took my younger son to see Test cricket at Lord’s, the Ghurkas were on duty. He was so very thrilled.

I said I would ask if he could have a photo with one of the soldiers, but he was so shy. Happily, the Ghurka was such a delightful and gentle bloke. Here is the picture, it was a very happy day for lots of reasons.

9SoYlkb.jpg

Nothing to do with preference. The HI VUK is nothing like how you've described HI knives. It's (relative to it's size) light, sharp, and every bit a knife made for and sold to the local residents. You've unfairly and wrongly lumped all HI knives into an overly heavy and overbuilt category, which the VUK (and a couple of others) is not. Your assessment of HI knives is not entirely correct, and I'm letting people know that HI has options in line with what the OP seeks.

NapalmCheese , I am not trying to argue the point , just to give my opinion like you or any other forum member .You might not agree with the style of khukuri I prefer and I can live with that . If you search the forums there are many people who would agree with your choices just as there are many who would and do agree with my views . It just seems like every time someone disagrees with HI Khukuris , people get really upset , can we not just have a debate without that and agree to disagree .
Thanks .

Look Napalm Cheese I think I have already agreed that they probably have other options also now (yes I said that) , I also agreed they were well built and have no doubt they will stand the test of time ! as far as I am concerned it is a matter of preference , I just am not taken with their style . I am sure if people want to look on HI Website then they can make their own minds up and buy one if thats their preference . As Ive already said I think we will just have to agree to disagree .End of

Great to see some heated discussion about khukuris- it shows how dear they are to all our hearts. HI make some great blades and if you're located in north america the reduced postage is a big plus. We do typically make our blades a bit thinner and a bit lighter but also make some chunkier options as well. Thicker blades have earned a place in a lot of peoples' kit for good reason. They can pack more power into a more compact package and are very reassuring in hand. Lighter blades can sometimes be a touch more versatile- at the same weight you can get a longer blade that's not as tiring to accelerate and decelerate. This can make it a more comfortable fit for brush clearing and extended periods of use. a longer blade also carries more momentum at the tip (even if they're lighter) so power can be retained or even surpassed at times.
A great point was made previously about some historical blades having quite thick spines of 9-11mm like the bhojpure. This is definitely true but doesn't fully portray the entire picture. These older blades also have a LOT of distal taper which is key to give a thick blade good balance in hand. The exaggerated weight near the hand helps to keep the blade mobile as well- just like the crossguard of a longsword.

I'm going to put in another vote for Himilayan imports I've dealt with them a few times and the quality was always great and the service is excellent. At some point I will also order something from Kailash Blades but it will probably be a custom falcata or kopis.
A custom falcata huh? Well while you're paying a swords worth of shipping you might be able to slip a HSI into the package as well ;)

B bigeard09 ,
I really tried to read your wall of text, but stopped when you claimed khukris should have hollow ground blades.
Not all khukuris need hollow ground blades, but historically it's quite common. In some instances it's done to save weight from the belly of the blade while in others its to allow for a leaner biting body that follows a tough, convex edge. This same combination is seen frequently on axes- another excellent woodworking blade. Here's an example:
https://mandarinmansion.com/item/khukri-peter-l-achard

achard-kothimora-khukuri.jpg

Regardless of our specific preferences in what we want in a khukuri , I thinks we can all agree that they are an iconic knife that does symbolise the Gurkha Regiments and their fighting prowess regardless of whether they serve in the British , Indian or Nepalese Army , but let us not forget before these Regiments were formed the various tribes of Gurkha / Gorkha peoples were a tough and formidable foe and the Khukuri is also a proud national symbol of the mountain kingdom of Nepal itself .

My first kukri was a Jungle model, which is the field version of the Service No.1, BSI or BAS. I love it and still use it today but if I had to use this model I would prefer the one often called the “Original” model, or the first run of the MkIV’s. I have one from Tora Blades that is outstanding and head and shoulders above my others in every way.

My favorite traditional user is an HI Bonecutter. This kukri is one of the ones that becomes part of your arm and feels like it was made for you. The handle is very comfortable during heavy use and the blade holds an edge forever. It’s heavy enough to do hard work but very balanced and nimble. It has the perfect combination of edge, bevel, length, and balance that is nearly impossible to find. My other HI go-to users are the Ganga Ram, baby Ganga Ram, and ASTK, very tough and pack a punch. I don’t have a Kailash kukri yet but I see lots of positive posts on the forum.

If you don’t care about the traditional aspect and just want a really good working kukri then nothing else compares to the Cold Steel Gurkha Kukri. In design it is very similar to my favorite kukri of all, the MkII. It is a workhorse of a blade and goes on and on and on. No worries about heat treats or getting a soft tourist trinket. Also no worries about cracking or shrinking handles that plague traditional models. If society goes off the cliff and the crap hits the fan I would have this kukri with me. From an unemotional viewpoint and strictly my opinion, it is simply the best working kukri, period.

Oh, the old "how should a Khukuri be" discussion. :) I dont think most Khukuri-fans even could agree on what a Khukuri is... think about it. Whats the definition we all could agree upon?

Looking at antique Khukuris, well thats how they looked like (antique however dont equals good). But then you could divide them into made in Napel (or what is now modern Nepal), made in Made in India (or what is modern day India), or made in India by Nepali artisans. Or made in England etc etc... so yes they will look very different. What our preferance is depends on so many factors, some people like a big heavy blade, some a thread thin version. Will it be stored in a vehicle, or should it be carried on foot for weeks, those things matter. I think we can be very glad that there today is so many options out there, folks. There is a Khukuri for everyone! Sticktang, partialtang, fulltang, aluminum handle, hollow grind, dui chirra, high polished, raw, traditional dap or box kothimora. Its rather funny, over 10 years ago there was a very heated discussion... pretty much on the same topics as today, one classic was "What is a sirupate?". Seems trivial doesnt it, but even that could gets peoples temper flaring. :D

My best tip is looking around and reading reviews, we as people are quite different so why would we buy the same Khukuris? There are just so many factors when we decide what to buy. The two companies mentioned here, HI for me is an American take on the Khukuri and Kailash a modern take on the Khukuri. Both have their happy fanbase. And perhaps thats what most important, that we are happy with what we got. :thumbsup:

Just to say that there are two khukuris issued by the British army: one is for dress uniform, polished of course, the other is for training and exercises etc. Like most British Army kit, procurement probably does scrape the bottom, and doubtless soldiers do indeed use their own khukuris, providing they look similar enough and fit in the standard issue sheath.

I can give you a couple of nice, and gentle, anecdotes about the Ghurka regiment. Are you sitting comfortably? Let me just put my slippers on and light my pipe. Now then...

I’ve been to a couple of investitures at Buck House. They are full of pomp and circumstance, held in the ballroom. You enter through the front, and then ascend stairs, flanked on either side by the Household Cavalry. Cuirasses, horse-hair plumed helmets, sabres held in salute, boots you can see your reflection in.

In the ballroom, a military band plays an interminable medley, everything from Danny Boy to Tea for Two, and the intonation deteriorates as the hours tick by. The whole thing is interminable, barring a couple of moments. The most important moment is, of course, when your family member receives a gong or gets batted with a blunt rapier, but the other moment is equally electrifying, or at least it was for me.

Prior to Brenda, sorry, Her Royal Highness Queen Elizabeth II, appearing, yet more bizarre and anachronistic uniforms appear, inhabited by equally anachronistic models. A troop of ancient Yeomen of the Guard, pikes shouldered, sway their way down the centre aisle. (One tends to worry that one of them might just peg out under the strain, and slice a minor celebrity’s head off in the process.)

And then, all is anticipation, all is baited breath, when the bloody chamberlain or some such appears and gives out the Parish notices, or words to that effect. And then, only then, the monarch, if you are lucky and it isn’t Charles, comes out.

Now, she isn’t a big imposing lady. She is rather petite, and probably rather nice, or so I hear. But, out she comes. And who, I ask you, is providing close protection to England’s longest reigning monarch of all time?

Could it be some deceptively wiry looking chaps in civvies? An outrageously overdressed brace of Household Guardsmen? Royal Marines, perhaps? That would be appropriate, and they do scrub up well.

Nope. Two diminutive Ghurkas, left and right. No firearms. Two soldiers, two khukuris. No fancy dress uniform either. It was, as I say, electrifying, and very, very pleasing to me at the time.

The other rather nice moment was at the home of cricket, Lord’s. For test matches, the armed forces take it in turns to provide security for the ground, and their bands play on the pitch during lunch. The first day I took my younger son to see Test cricket at Lord’s, the Ghurkas were on duty. He was so very thrilled.

I said I would ask if he could have a photo with one of the soldiers, but he was so shy. Happily, the Ghurka was such a delightful and gentle bloke. Here is the picture, it was a very happy day for lots of reasons.

9SoYlkb.jpg
Love the dits and the photo

I think with Kukris, what is issued can mean a lot of things in a lot of different times. I bought a No. 1 Service issue style from GK&CO. Kukri House that's big and shiny. Afterwards, I ordered a Nepal Police Service Khukuri (seen below) from Nepalese Handicraft Zone that I'm much more likely to actually want to use on brush. Not all police service kukris have the crossed kukri on the pommel, but all the ones with the crossed kukri on the pommel are police service weapons/tools. I would imagine that nothing makes a person feel like being a law abiding citizen quite like a Gurkha police officer with a kukri on their belt. A friend of mine, when she lived in Malaysia, had Gurkha security for their building and she felt exceptionally safe having them around.

I think if I was going to buy one specifically for use around the woodlot, I'd be leaning towards the Afghan Service issue (Operation Enduring Freedom Mission), because it's got a full tang and the handle feels more familiar to something I'm used to having in my hand. Some people wouldn't want that particular model because they might feel it looked less authentic, because of the full tang and more modern looking handle, despite it being exactly like the one issued to the Gurkhas in Afghanistan. It's not a tool I grew up using or received training to use at some point though, so I don't think it's something I would gravitate to for filling my tool shed. Most of the draw of owning a kukri is the childlike wonder, from all the stories you read and hear about the Gurkhas, especially when you were younger.

51858082415_142ee76929_b.jpg

51857425731_c422286ccb_z.jpg

Back