Half or vegetable tanned. which, why

Hi Guys

I noticed a lot of you guys use vegetable tanned leather instead of halftanned.
Why is that?

Halftanned = lighter, stronger and stiffer.
It takes and keeps it's shape better..
It's very hard to cut or puncture..

Do I miss something?

Thanks!!
martin

Well, reason #1

Half tanned leather isnt widely available in the US. I cant find it anywhere near me, and mail order isnt much better.

o.k.
I order mine from Nordell Knives, and if you specify what you are looking for, they´ll give you the best they have in stock.
I guess there´s a roof for what people are willing to pay for their sheaths.
It´s not cheap leather no..

Shipping over seas would eat up a lot of funds, is there a US supplier?

I dont understand what you mean about a roof (or cieling) for what people will pay. Most people will pay what they think a particular maker is worth, not how much his materials cost.

Just like any leather, theres cheap stuff and high quality stuff. One simply has to know where to get it. Half Tanned isnt necessarily better than full tanned, both have thier limitations. For those interested in using haf tanned leather in the US its difficult to obtain. For me, #1 grade cowhide is the best, nothing compares to the nice feel and nature of a well done hide.

Martin, I would imagine that the Scandi type sheaths which are heavily molded and must be stiff to hold their shape require or at least do much better with the half tanned leathers. That style sheath represents a very small percentage of the sheaths we make here and further I imagine that they guys who do make them either have a source for half tanned or use the same veg. tan the rest of us use. Veg. tan does very well for the styles that are popular here, and where a rigid sheath is required we always have Kydex.

Welcome to the forum and when you have time please post some photos of your work.

Paul

Shipping over seas would eat up a lot of funds, is there a US supplier?

I dont understand what you mean about a roof (or cieling) for what people will pay. Most people will pay what they think a particular maker is worth, not how much his materials cost. .

It was very easy for me to imagine that importing stuff will make the sheath expensive to a point were the average customer says no thanks, that's too much dollars for what it's worth to me..

Back