Hammocks today? Good mid-range options?

I am thinking about taking a hammock with me 'car camping'. I see some "Owl" options for <$30 and Eno for $65~$85. Then there are the real spendy things like Warbonnet.

I don't want to waste money on a POS hammock from China, basically throwing money away, but I also don't want to spend $200 or more either! My initial searching suggests the ENO hammocks are a good option at a moderate cost.

Right now, I am running DD Hammock tarps I got out of Finland for a fair price. I leave on my first trip in about a month so, I really need to stay CONUS for any hammock buy to make my departure date.

What words of wisdom and advice do users have for me? I will want a bug screen upfront and will consider an underblanket later if the hammock thing really works out for me.

TIA,
Sid

I'd suggest that if weight isn't a concern, I'd just grab any of the more well known brands (Eno have been around for a while) and spend a bit on the suspension system. You want to be able to dial in how the hammock hangs, and that is best done with an easily adjusted strap system, where you can hop in and out and make incremental changes. As you get more experience, you can simplify things, but the first few setups need to be simple, otherwise it will be frustrating. I'd look at the Dutchware systems and see what speaks to your mindset and skills. They have a bunch of options, and really it's just a matter of taste. Or if you already do stuff with dyneema line, there are a lot of systems that used spliced dyneema which is also a great method, but if you know the stuff already, you know it's not something you just want to jump into with no run-up. That having been said, the Eno hammocks are about as simple as they come, and the dutchware hammocks are more well thought out. But since they are so modular, if you get an eno and good straps now, if you upgrade, you'll know which features you really want and can focus there.

Had an eno for two years and have been pretty happy with it on day trips. ^ +1 about the strap system.

What words of wisdom and advice do users have for me? I will want a bug screen upfront and will consider an underblanket later if the hammock thing really works out for me.

TIA,
Sid

Hammocker here. If you plan on sleeping overnight in the hammock then the underblanket is a must. I have been cheaping out on the underblanket and use sleeping pad instead (it also allows me to sleep in lean tos) but it’s more work and practice to work.
Use either because sleeping while your back freezes sucks.

Hammocker here. If you plan on sleeping overnight in the hammock then the underblanket is a must. I have been cheaping out on the underblanket and use sleeping pad instead (it also allows me to sleep in lean tos) but it’s more work and practice to work.
Use either because sleeping while your back freezes sucks.
That's a really good point, thinking you sleep "warm" or "cold" is a whole different thing in a hammock. I've been cold in a hammock when it's been +30 C temps due to high winds, and warm when I've got the insulation dialed in because I was in a good location and organized. I know I sleep cold, but convection across your back is a whole other game.

Back