• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Hand Engraving by Sarah Ladd - Fine art engraving, pure gold inlay, diamond setting

It is a real testament to your abilities to be chosen by a company known for beautiful knives. Really happy for you and looking forward to seeing the finished products. I hope that being chosen makes up for the work frustration you were having a while ago!😀

Wow! Did you ever think this little side project would take this turn? Congratulations!
WH is 90% of the reason I fought to learn this craft and provided the inspiration to try.

It's what I hoped for. Seems like it happened fast? I almost said no, because I have other projects waiting to be finished first.... but I thought better of it and decided it would be summarily unintelligent to say no.

I don't even know what I'm engraving on or what yet. I've had a lot of questions and I've got no answers because I was too preoccupied with whether I should, or could.

Sounds like an awesome opportunity. Worst case, it doesn’t turn out to be what you expected, you fulfill your obligations and move on. But usually it’s a dream situation to get to do something you love doing - and are obviously very good at. Wish you the best of luck, looking forward to hearing more about what you’ll be doing, and of course cannot wait to see those first bits of handiwork!

I hope they let her do HER ART and not force her into some WH way of seeing it. If they are just hiring her technical skill without her artistic sensibility they are only getting a technician. That would be sad. I'm not being negative Sarah - just that we all know this story. I hope you can flourish with every new project.

I hope they let her do HER ART and not force her into some WH way of seeing it. If they are just hiring her technical skill without her artistic sensibility they are only getting a technician. That would be sad. I'm not being negative Sarah - just that we all know this story. I hope you can flourish with every new project.
I want to try a technique using multiple karatage golds to achieve an ombre. I wonder if they'd consider letting me do any stonesetting. Probably not. I haven't seen any stonesetting in their bolsters or scales, only on hardware parts. If they give me liberty to do whatever, I feel like I should start thinking about what subject matter sounds fun and exciting.

I want to try a technique using multiple karatage golds to achieve an ombre. I wonder if they'd consider letting me do any stonesetting. Probably not. I haven't seen any stonesetting in their bolsters or scales, only on hardware parts. If they give me liberty to do whatever, I feel like I should start thinking about what subject matter sounds fun and exciting.

I stumbled across this thread and your work in the last couple weeks. My first thought was, "Her work makes me think of William Henry pieces." And the next thing we know... Haha

They set stones in the frame/scales

Last edited:
I stumbling across this thread and your work in the last couple weeks. My first thought was, "Her work makes me think of William Henry pieces." And the next thing we know... Haha

They set stones in the frame/scales

Hah ;)

That says the scales are cast silver, which means the artist carved this from wax probably.

I'll be getting steel parts... aiming for something more like this.

Hah ;)

That says the scales are cast silver, which means the artist carved this from wax probably.

I'll be getting steel parts... aiming for something more like this.

Gotcha. My understanding of what goes into all of that stops at, "Hey there is a stone on the handle"

Also, I see your skill set moves a decimal place ;)

Why not?! Can’t hurt to ask, while casually slipping a sample or two into an email. 😁

Back