hand rubbing blade? removing laser etch?

hey guys. I would like to know the best way to remove laser etching on the blade. I am going for a nice handrubbed finish, but i need to get off the logos on the blade first. I was thinking sand paper i guess, because i don't have access to power tools, but what would you guys recommend? thanks.

What kind of knife is it? Wet/Dry sandpaper works really well for metalwork and finishing. Start with medium grits and work your way up to as fine as you want for the finish you're after.

Back the sandpaper with a block so the grinds stay crisp. If you have a hollow grind, use flexible metal like copper to back the paper. Don't go overboard in the pivot area.

Use some lube, too. I've been using tapping fluid lately and I'm really happy with it. Anything works though; water, WD-40, oil, and so on.

thanks. the knife is a Browning Crowell/Barker cutting competition knife. I want to remove the handles, and remove the logos so I can try my first hand rubbed finish. Then i want to replace them with corby bolts instead of the tiny rivets that it has now, because i just got it, and one of the handle slabs is raised so i can slip a couple sheets of paper in between it and the blade. besides, i really want to enhance the look and durability of it. So, any advice would be great, like where i can see the whole process done without power tools. Thanks.

Heres a video by ABS master smith J Neilson showing how he does a hand rubbed finish hope it helps.

[youtube]DZheeI3voYs [/youtube]

Time for the Bruce Evans Tutorial Page!
http://beknivessite2.homestead.com/guard.html
Look for hand rubbing a blade.
Just in case you skip the awesome tutorials...
Don't use a scrubbing motion.

Here is a Queen Canoe in D2 that I removed the etch from.
canoemarbles.gif

Convexed the edge while I was at it.

wow, that looks great! did you do this with sandpaper also? That tutorial is great also. thanks.

Thank you!
Sandpaper it was. WD 40 to keep it wet with the rougher grits and windex for the finer grits.
I did it a couple of years ago.
IIRC I started with 400 grit, worked progressively up to 2000 grit.
Finally flitz polish on note book paper.
Follow the tutorial...
Ol'Bruce knows what he's doing.
:D

I have to say, I've never seen the Browning knife that you have.
Don't know how deep the etch is and whether you will get it out or not.
The Queen etch wasn't all that deep.
As always YMMV :D

Last edited:
Back