Hand Sharpening Question

Many times, I start on a 1000 grit shapton stone but can't seem to get certain knives hair popping sharp unless it is finished with 10-15 (total not each side) swipes on the sharpmaker fine stones.

My guess is that my consistency and angles are not consistent with the hand sharpening. I still find it more effective and quicker to do this method than only using the sharpmaker. Is this creating a microbevel or refining the angle/edge/burr? Any insights/tips/methods are appreciated. Much thanks.

Bingo! Probably both. A Shapton 1K is a fairly fast aggressive stone. My knives are always sharp right from it. But NOTHING when compared to me following up with 4K, 6K, 8K! The 1k edge may as well be about as sharp as a hammer compared, to these edges.

But I don't know what your skill level is. Are you ALWAYS gerringva burr when using the 1K?

Many times, I start on a 1000 grit shapton stone but can't seem to get certain knives hair popping sharp unless it is finished with 10-15 (total not each side) swipes on the sharpmaker fine stones.

My guess is that my consistency and angles are not consistent with the hand sharpening. I still find it more effective and quicker to do this method than only using the sharpmaker. Is this creating a microbevel or refining the angle/edge/burr? Any insights/tips/methods are appreciated. Much thanks.
Hi,
nope, sounds like invisible burr ,
solution is do two double angle edge leading alternating passes to deburr
you don't want slurry on the stone for this so you wash it off if you have some

Bingo! Probably both. A Shapton 1K is a fairly fast aggressive stone. My knives are always sharp right from it. But NOTHING when compared to me following up with 4K, 6K, 8K! The 1k edge may as well be about as sharp as a hammer compared, to these edges.

But I don't know what your skill level is. Are you ALWAYS gerringva burr when using the 1K?
Hi,
The difference is not that huge , esp if all you're going by is hair popping, 1k is plenty high enough grit to pop hair effortlessly if the stone is not muddy and you deburr on the stone

Much will depend on the composition of the stone. I'm not familiar with Shapton Pro 1k but most 1k are not intended to make a stand-alone edge, tho is possible. If the stone has any mud it will grind a new edge with a minimum of burr and any refining after that will make a notable improvement over a similarly prep'd edge that has remnant burrs.

It makes sense you're getting the results you're seeing. You would likely get a similar outcome if you were to microbevel the same number of passes on a polishing grade stone such as a 6 or 8k following the 1k.

And, some steels just don't have qualities to make a good edge at lower levels of finish without some fussing. If it is the same knives that won't come around straight off the 1k I'd take a quick look to see what steel they are.

Hi,
The difference is not that huge , esp if all you're going by is hair popping, 1k is plenty high enough grit to pop hair effortlessly if the stone is not muddy and you deburr on the stone

So your telling me the difference is not that much....on my knives.....that I make? Well, thank you! I'm glad you cleared that up for me!:rolleyes:

Strange there is another Forum Member having the same problem that Linux is having with his 1K stone. It's on the front page of this Forum.
Not getting good edges.? DM

Hi,
So your telling me the difference is not that much....on my knives.....that I make? Well, thank you! I'm glad you cleared that up for me!:rolleyes:

You sure don't sound glad :p Hehehe

You essentially said don't expect to pop arm hairs from a 1k stone cause its a hammer

Strange there is another Forum Member having the same problem that Linux is having with his 1K stone. It's on the front page of this Forum.
Not getting good edges.? DM

This is a pretty common stone as well, not a lot of responses for it.

Hi,

You sure don't sound glad :p Hehehe

You essentially said don't expect to pop arm hairs from a 1k stone cause its a hammer

You got me dead to rights there my friend! You are "correct" in I can can shave hair right from my 1K. (I did also say the knives are sharp right from it). I should have been more clear. Deffinately more like a wrench than a hammer!

Glad you caught I was having a go. ;)

This video may help.

The speaker/inventor has sharpened hundreds of thousands of knives.

Back