handle help

The Magician

Illusionist
hello folks. I have a little fang neck knife that has some kind of wood scales. The wood was glued onto each side of the tang. Anyway it is starting to come off. I would like to replace it with G10 or Micarta. I have three questions.
1.Does anyone want to do this project for me?
2.Does anyone have some spare G10 or micarta that I can buy? I only need two pieces about 1"wide X 3.5"long.
3.what kind of glue or epoxy can I use to glue the new scales on.
I am NOT a knifemaker, so I prefer this to be as easy to aquire as possible(i.e. wal-mart)
Thank you knife making folks. I admire your talent.

------------------
Brian
The first knife was probably used to cut stuff.

Shoot me an email. It is pretty easy to do yourself if you want. i can walk you thru it step by step, but not tonight or tomorrow. I have my Conference track meet tomorrow and I have to leave at 6 am
frown.gif

Brian, since you didn't say, I'm guessing your knife doesn't have pins, and that's why the scales are coming off. Epoxy fails, it's a universal rule. So you can expect your own repair to fail eventually.

I don't have any G10 but could help you out with some maroon linen micarta. Email me if you're interested.

Dave

Brian- I've got some 1/8" black paper Micarta I could send you if you want some thin scales. Also if you need material for pins I've got some steel, brass, or bronze. E-mail me if you want some.
smile.gif

ddavelarsen,
Some maroon linen micarta would be great.

Richard,
email on the way soon.

Taz,
May be contacting you soon.

No one wants to undertake this project? I will pay cash!

------------------
Brian

There are three problems with this project. The first is that the fang has those really big holes in the tang already, and fitting pins would mean that you would have to basically fill those holes with epoxy and set the pins into it. With such a setup, I doubt that the pins would add to the strength of the thing.

The obvious solution would be to drill new holes for pins, but that brings up Problem #2, which is that the tang is hardened all the way through, making drilling with standard equipment a real difficult task. One would need a carbide tip and preferably a water jet to keep things cool.

The last problem is that the whole knife is coated with Black T (possibly the reaosn for the initial failure anyway, since I doubt the glue holds as well to Teflon as it does to bare steel) and to finish the scales flush with the rest of the knife would result in the spine getting sanded down and having the Black T coating removed along the profile of the blade. If it weren't for problems 1-3 I would be glad to do the job for you at no cost except for materials (I have natural canvas micarta (about 1/4 thick), maroon micarta (1/8" thick) and black paper Micarta (1/4" thick) as well as a bunch of exotic woods like koa, cocobolo and rosewoods. How did you modify the sheath so that the knife would fit with scales on it? if you want, email me and we can discuss possibilities for the project, but it could turn into a mess if we aren't careful! What would be cool would be to remove the Black T, anneal the whole thing, and differentially heat treat it and etch to see a temper line, but that would be a big, expensive job. it would certainly be a one of a kind knife, though!

------------------
Dr. Steve Agocs
http://www.geocities.com/Chiro75/frames.html

agocs_s@hotmail.com

sorry guys. I guess I should be more specific. The fang I am refering to is here:
2995.jpeg

Mine is like the top one except no pins. I want it to look like the one on bottom. I took the old scales off. They came off very easy in one piece. Anyone want me to send them the old scales so they can duplicate them in micarta or G10 for me?

------------------
Brian

Does the tang have pins holes? if yes, it is easy enough to do yourself and very rewarding. Shoot me an email.

The tang is solid. There are no holes.

------------------
Brian

Back