Handle material questions

I was wondering what were everyones thoughts on the different handle materials on fixed blade knives.

I have a BRKT Bravo 1 with the micarta handle. I was guessing that would be a very durable material.

I really like the looks of some of the other handle materials though. Are they all as durable as others though?

What is most durable?
Less likely to break?
Less likely to get a bad gouge in it?

Is Ivory or bone or horn material more for show than use? Many old folders I have seen with these materials are cracked.

Is wood a good way to go? Burls look great but are they strong?

I use my knives, but I do like them to look good also.

Any or all opinions would be appreciated.

Just about anything you can think of has been used in the past, at some time or other, as handle material.

Obviously some lend themselves to this use than others.

Some are more for show than others. The various types of stone for example are very brittle and don't hold up to being dropped or used hard at all.

Traditionally, woods, horn and bone have seen the most use, and they have proven reliable.

Modern materials like G10, micarta, etc., are also very useful, generally water impervious, and very tough.

Generally the bottom line is that modern knifemakers know how to stabilize materials like burls or spalted woods that are not stable naturally. Properly mounted bone or horn can be very sturdy as well as beautiful.

If the knifemaker knows what he's doing, most any reasonable material can be used, and trusted to do a good job.

Andy

Back