Handle Requests & Suggestions

Thank you everyone for the input. This is exactly what I was hoping for. Rest assured that we won't stop doing all the regular handle combo's, I was just looking for ideas and opinions outside my own.

I quoted a few ideas and suggestions below, but please know that I'll be referencing back here through all the posts when I'm drawing a blank in the shop as to what to try next.

Also more tapered tangs! Thanks for asking!

Andy tries to do a roughly 50/50 split between tapered and full tangs.

I'd like to see some Carbon Fiber used on some of the sleeker "sexier" knives.

Looking through the cut offs bin I found a small slab of carbon fiber, so that will be getting processed and put on some knives over the next couple of weeks.

I'd like to see more mosaic pins used :)

Done! We love them too, but also don't want to over use them so they don't lose their uniqueness.

Sorry, I neglected to say thanks for giving everyone the chance to give input. I will 2nd Andy's comment that mosaic pins are a nice touch.

Thank you!

Does Ken hate metal bolsters?:D

Ken has never done a metal bolster, but looking at them it seems like the process is all the same. This one will probably be a matter of convincing Mr. Roy. As will using bone or antler on a few knives. But we do have some lying around here...

Ken, is there a chance to do some handles with smaller bolsters, similar to the infamous 'original Bushfinger'?

There sure is. I'll start that into the rotation asap. I like it too.

copper bolsters & bullseye

Nice idea Phillip, thanks.

I'd like to see some thunderstorm Kevlar. Even if it's only in bolsters.

Ooh, thunderstorm Kevlar with Carbon fiber bolsters would be sick!

What exactly is thunderstorm kevlar? We picked up a small piece (20x20") of some woven, bulletproof material, off the giveaway table at the most recent GA Knifemaker's meeting (it was all shot up with .40's which was cool to see - but still plenty to use for handles). I've been a little hesitant to cut into it for fear of what it'll release into the shop. I also wondered about having that in your hand all day sweating and working and such, what kind of chemicals are in there and do you really want them that close to your open pores? Not that the material is loose or open or anything, but still, makes a man wonder.

Thanks again everybody.
Ken

From Alphknifesupply:
Thunderstorm Kevlar™:
Thunderstorm Kevlar is made with layers of Kevlar fabric bonded with resin. Brass wires are woven through the fabric. The layers of fabric are very coarse. It looks almost like burlap. The material polishes very well. Kevlar is a true space age material. It is used in applications where light weight, flexibility and strength are required.

Not a fan myself, but some people like it.

Ooh...one other thought. There have been a few Fiddlebacks with 1/4 inch pins and they looked GORGEOUS. I think one was a bushcrafter that I still, more than a year later, kick myself for not buying. I can't find the picture at the moment...but here is the link to an Arete with 1/4 pins: Fiddleback Friday 5/3/13.

Ooh...one other thought. There have been a few Fiddlebacks with 1/4 inch pins and they looked GORGEOUS. I think one was a bushcrafter that I still, more than a year later, kick myself for not buying. I can't find the picture at the moment...but here is the link to an Arete with 1/4 pins: Fiddleback Friday 5/3/13.

1/4" pins just scream old school Fiddleback Forge! I like them too.:thumbup:

And then all I need is a camp knife in saphire burlap, with double bolsters of white linen micarta...

Not that I'm picky or anything :D

I'm new to the game & low on the totem pole but I am a big fan of the heavy/dense woods with tapered tangs. You all do fantastic work, please don't change a thing!

I copied and pasted this from the "regret" thread. I posted this there but this is an appropriate thread for it as well:

Is this it? I'm having a hard time identifying some of the early ones.

Hosted on Fotki

It would be sweet to see Andy come out occasionally with a few "old school" knives. Sort of going back to his roots. A more simplistic knife by his current standards and yet made obviously with today's advanced craftsmanship. A nostalgia line so to speak. There are handle combos such as this, old school nessmuks, etc... Just some out of the box thinking.

I am still dreaming of a convex Arete with tapered tang and full size Bushfinger-handles in Cocobolo or Desert Ironwood on it!

I liked this "Sweet Bubblegum" material, I love that it's rare but think it's kinda fun, especially for the smaller blades. It's hard to see in my (bad) photos how it sparkles and pops! Not to everyone's taste I'm sure.

These double bolsters are pretty nice looking, wouldn't mind having something like this myself:

20140228IMG_2332-vi.jpg

Thanks Bamboo for the response! Thunderstorm looks like some pretty modern, cool stuff. I wonder about the brass wires though. I wonder, with continuous hard use, if the wires would become exposed.

Anyway here is a a few examples of it...

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1069564-Thunderstorm-Kevlar-All-sizes-now-in-stock!!

I've read that it can be an issue. That may have only been an issue with the "real" stuff and not the stuff made for use by knifemakers. In any case, if it's true, that's about the last thing I'd want on a user knife. I'm not a huge fan of the look anyway, but wires poking out would totally kill it for me. :(

Hey Ken,

There was a bishop from blade I think that made its way to bladeco. It had a green burlap handle with a green pinstripe. I loved the handle so much I was tempted to buy the bishop even though it is not on my 'list'.

I would LOVE to see a camp knife in that configuration, 3/16", black pins. Could you please make 10 of them so I could have a chance at getting one in the shark pool. I will send you a case of your favorite beverage. :)

Last edited:
Not a handle request, more of a grind request...

I'd like to see a swedge on a kephart or two or even a swedge on a big paw or bear paw or big bear paw. What's the correct name?

Back