Handles & Guards class July 15th/16th with John Doyle

On July 15th & 16th 2017, in Ozark, Missouri....I will be teaching a handles and guards class. It will be held at the shop of Tom McGinnis of Ozark Knifemakers.

There is a fee to attend. Email me for details as I don't think we're allowed to post that info here. The class will be limited to 12 students. A non refundable deposit of 50% will be required to secure your place in the class.

This is NOT a beginner's class and you will need to bring a hardened/finished hidden tang blade that is ready to fit a guard and handle.

You will be learning my techniques for guard and handle layout and design, fitting a guard, shaping a guard, drilling out and fitting a handle block and shaping/finishing the handle among other things.

Additionally, as time permits, you may bring a second blade that is rough ground and ready for heat treating but is NOT hardened, of W2, 1075 or 1095 steel and we will go over clay quenching, etching and polishing techniques for producing hamon.

Tom's shop at Ozark Knifemakers is a very well equipped, well-lit large shop with plenty of space and individual work stations and conference room.

Feel free to use this thread for questions and I'll keep tabs on it and keep it updated as the event approaches.

To sign up, you may contact Pat Byrd with Ozark Knifemakers. She can be reached by email or by phone.
Email: patbyrd AT suddenlink DOT net
Phone: 1-417-300-2967

My email for questions is jdoyleknives AT gmail DOT com

Here is a link to the class on the Ozark Knifemakers website:

http://www.ozarkknifemakers.com/app...0603&next=/showAgenda?calID=5816814&pageNum=1

Pat is working to update the page with info and some photos this week.

I think I'm going to sign up for this. That's exactly what I could use some instruction on. Will there be anything on spacers between the guard and handle? Or should we bring materials for spacers if that's something we want to do?

There will be some demo and instruction on that part for sure. As far as actually having time to do it on all the blades in class, we'll have to see how it goes. Definitely bring any materials you want to.

I'm not sure if I should even reply here, as it would be easy to regard me as nothing more than a shill for John, as he's my good friend, but I'm going to risk it, only because I just looked at the price of this class and I think it's insanely cheap. Here goes...

I drove 600 miles to spend time with John, and it was my explicit intention to learn how he makes handles and guards. After seeing the detail, thoughtfulness and thoroughness which John works, I would personally spend DOUBLE what they're asking for this class to attend it.

Go ahead and label me a shill. I probably am. If you're smart, maybe you'll understand why I'm willing to do this.

Plus, John's giving me seven percent. :p

Happy as heck to see you doing stuff like this, bud. Total no-brainer.

I've got the ok from the boss, she might come with and sight see while I'm learnin'. Just waiting for a reply to get my deposit in.

Thanks for doing this John, really timely for me in an area I truly need some help in, even if I understand how things fit up in general, looking at it as a process from design to finish is something I'm really looking forward to.

I'm sure this is going to be awesome. I'd go if my summer wasn't already spoken for. Maybe something will come up this fall.

Plus, John's giving me seven percent. :p

whoa, whoa, whoa..... 7% ?!!? I thought we agreed on 5% ? :D

I've got the ok from the boss, she might come with and sight see while I'm learnin'. Just waiting for a reply to get my deposit in.

Thanks for doing this John, really timely for me in an area I truly need some help in, even if I understand how things fit up in general, looking at it as a process from design to finish is something I'm really looking forward to.

Good deal. I'm looking forward to it. Should be a lot of fun.

...pretty sure the value of my endorsement should be costing ME 7%, bud. :p

Bumping this up.

Wanted to mention that lunch will be provided both days of the class.

I'm in! Deposit going in the mail now. My guards need work, handle design etc can always be improved, and I have yet to try a hamon. Looking forward to it.!

damn.. excellent gesture.. i would love to go! but distance is distance..

Could you record it?

I'd love to go but the distance...,.
Would gladly prepay for a DVD if that were a possibility.

Any spots still open. I might be able to go.

Jay

Hi Jay. I think there might be a spot or two still left. I know a couple more have been filled recently. I'd call Pat at the number in my original post to confirm. I'll give her a call too.

Back