Photos Hapstone Modular Platform

Background.jpg

We are happy to introduce the Hapstone Modular Platform that consolidates new knife sharpeners Hapstone R2 (4 kits), Hapstone V8 (2 kits), and Hapstone M3 (1 kit). You can buy it as a kit or assemble from components. You can buy M3 and convert it to R2 if you like. You can buy R2 Lite and upgrade to R2 BLACK in the future. DIYers can buy only those components they really need. Everything is upgradable. Everything is adjustable.

Hapstone_Modular_Platform_Facebook.jpg

Main things.
1) R2, V8, M2 are one sharpener. Everything is built around the platform and different modules. The empty platform can be purchased separately.
2) Diversity of kits and clamps. Aggressive pricing for R2 Lite.
3) New angled clamps that can be flipped inward for short knives or outward for long knives.
4) 8" stone support abandoned as economically unreasonable
5) New rotating clamp module is incompatible with R1. The adapter is in development (promised to be free for R1 owners).

clamps.jpg

4_hapstones.jpg

Hmmm, this is interesting, but my brain hurts trying to understand it all. As an R1 owner, is there anything here that solves the "won't do narrow knives at low angle" problem?

sorry this is way too complicated or complex for my liking or to keep my interest or attention.
when things get too complex and detailed, my interest gets repulsed and i move on and tend to not look back. simple is beautiful, simple is likable. goes for art, songs, music, poetry, science, maths, photography and imho also engineering.

fortunately not everyone is as lazy as me. there are still new students every year willing to dive into String Theory or Quantum Gravity research. I let them have at it. to each his own. note though that the number of those students and who keep at it is extremely limited (i.e. low), not a growing success story sorry. but if there's an offer there must be some demand. people willing.

meanwhile i #stayathome and cut the grass with my 30yr old lawn mower and live the happy easy life. my budget ruixin apparatus focuses on the key elements, and at some point i still grew tired of handling that thing after 1 or 2 years.

kresil. bored. lazy?

"let's not overdo things, or shall we?"

Last edited:
Personally I think it is very awesome and love the modular aspect. They have the simple version and the complex I feel like they are trying to cover all the bases. I applaud the effort.

sorry this is way too complicated or complex for my liking or to keep my interest or attention.
when things get too complex and detailed, my interest gets repulsed and i move on and tend to not look back. simple is beautiful, simple is likable. goes for art, songs, music, poetry, science, maths, photography and imho also engineering.

fortunately not everyone is as lazy as me. there are still new students every year willing to dive into String Theory or Quantum Gravity research. I let them have at it. to each his own. note though that the number of those students and who keep at it is extremely limited (i.e. low), not a growing success story sorry. but if there's an offer there must be some demand. people willing.

meanwhile i #stayathome and cut the grass with my 30yr old lawn mower and live the happy easy life. my budget ruixin apparatus focuses on the key elements, and at some point i still grew tired of handling that thing after 1 or 2 years.

kresil. bored. lazy?

"let's not overdo things, or shall we?"
It looks to me that they are trying to simplify their offerings. Close to 3/4s of each sharpener is the same as the others, which lets you leverage increased quantity in production. The downside is the compromises you have to make to the design to do so.

My initial thought was what the heck??!! But the more I look at it, the more I like. As an M2 owner, I see several upgrades in the M3, which is a platform system equivalent to the EdgePro system. It nows has the main arm mount offset so that the arm travel is centered with the knife. I see a flat mount on top of the arm for you digital amgle meter. Bearings on the arm shaft like the M2 version 2 and the whole knife platform can come off the base so that you can use a clamping system if you want.
Uncle Boots, you could switch between a clamped system and a platform system (with magnets to hold the knife for you of course) which would solve the low angle prob you mentioned,yes.

you can start with a basic and add or change anything about it or specialty clamps for types and styles of knive or sharpening that you like. Have a platform style or clamping style or whatever. Definitely not for the beginner though. Well, thats not entirely true. You can start basic and grow into more advanced as you go.
Gotta admit it is intimidating looking though.You can view it as too complicated or kid in a candy store......

Hell, send me one and I'll review as I go and send it back for different set ups!

My biggest concern here as an R1 owner, is that the R1 was originally sold as being modular "Everything is upgradable!", I believe was one of the tag lines. Now it is a different system that is "modular."

That being said, I do like the new clamp offerings. And would be interested in adding them to my setup.

Gritomatic Gritomatic - any idea as to when the "adapter" for the new rotating assembly will be available to R1 owners?

Yeah, it's upgradeable as long as you do it within the first year, after that they are on to the next version which isn't "compatible" with last years model.

Uncle Boots, you could switch between a clamped system and a platform system (with magnets to hold the knife for you of course) which would solve the low angle prob you mentioned,yes.

If that's the solution, then I'm a bit stuck, because I bought something like that for the R1, and the magnets pull the narrow blades into a position in which the edge is unreachable. So either it's not the solution, or I failed to figure out how to use it to make it be the solution.

Edit: it is not my intention to be negative about the new system. It looks nice. Actually, I expected the answer to my question to be that, yes, some of those new clamps in the picture are intended for the low-angle case, which seems very plausible, and yes, they can be used with the R1, which may or may not be true, but I hope it is.

Yeah I cant picture that so I dont have an answer. Just goes to show there's no perfect system.

Hmmm, this is interesting, but my brain hurts trying to understand it all. As an R1 owner, is there anything here that solves the "won't do narrow knives at low angle" problem?

I agree. I purchased one with the intentions of being able to do filet knives and such. The low angles that I wanted was advertised as being doable but in reality was not. I then asked about maybe longer clamps to help with this and was told something was on the horizon. That turned out to be the adapter similar to the edge pro setup. I myself did not want that.

My biggest concern here as an R1 owner, is that the R1 was originally sold as being modular "Everything is upgradable!", I believe was one of the tag lines. Now it is a different system that is "modular."

That being said, I do like the new clamp offerings. And would be interested in adding them to my setup.

Gritomatic Gritomatic - any idea as to when the "adapter" for the new rotating assembly will be available to R1 owners?

I also wonder about the adapter availability to the R1 owners and how to get one.

As an R1 owner, is there anything here that solves the "won't do narrow knives at low angle" problem?

Yes and no. Angle specs for all R2 clamps are similar to R1. However, clamp limitations can be bypassed by future clamps. The prototype of the fillet clamp as an example.

IMG_20200723_102407.png

any idea as to when the "adapter" for the new rotating assembly will be available to R1 owners?

I hope at the end of August. The photo above shows the adapter.

Yeah, it's upgradeable as long as you do it within the first year, after that they are on to the next version which isn't "compatible" with last years model.
Sh&t happens. Despite the partial incompatibility, Hapstone R1 is part of the modular family. Existing customers may get an adapter, future revisions will probably include the new module.

To Gritomatic

Congrats!
That's the good headache for TSProfil)))...

Back