Harbour Freight 1" x 30" belt sander: initial impressions and questions

So Jerry. From reading your posts once you get to the final fine belt you use the leather and compound to polish and deburr and you said if any remains a quick wipe with a wadded paper towel removes the rest. Now when I'm done my edge is very sharp with no visible wire. First time I use it I can see little glints along the edge if held in a certain angle so I believe I have an almost invisible wire still hanging out. Knife still cuts well but I'm sure that won't last as there's still a minuscule wire left. Doesn't seem to matter whether it's soft stainless or hard carbon I have the same problem. I've used cork, cardboard, towel, wood, a steel, everything I can think of and it just won't go away. Any other suggestions? Thanks

Last edited:
I know everyone's given me good advice and I've tried everything including very light passes at the finer grits and I appreciate it but nothing is working for me. The wire is no light it just rubs off or so it seems but there still seems to be something there. Not sure why. I shouldn't be getting glints off the very edge after one light use. And I'm using a good maple board

Well, one thing I could think of would be that you might have the convex a tad too "acute" for your particular blade steel, if such a term can actually be applied to a convex. How far from the belt are you holding the spine while you're sharpening? I'd be tempted to add 50% to that and see what happens, using just a couple of your finest belts. Sort of a micro-convex-bevel to thicken the edge up a bit and get some more support behind it. If your steel is too soft to hold the terminal geometry, no amount of technique tweaks will help. I'd also be tempted to try another knife, just to see if it reacts the same way.

I've had the same experiences with many different knives and steels. As to being too acute I've been pretty much following the edge height I was using with stones. I always go more acute than factory because I fine factories put quite an obtuse edge on but they were staying longer with stones with same angle and now they're convex so I figured would be stronger. I'm holding the spine about 90o to floor but my grinder has the top wheel a bit back from the platen so that gives my angle. I have tried going to a bit bigger of an angle and doesn't seem to help. The edges are still very sharp they just glint a bit at a certain angle after use.

Vicv,
just a thought.
If you wanted to give it a try, test to see exactly what your angle is and see if its what you want.
I don't know what other equipment you have, I've double checked mine on my WEPS using an Accurate angle cube, and a stone.
I'm guessing you can hold it against the belt, or rest it on the plate that the HF comes with, zero the angle out, when shim it to say 20 degrees away, and look at it and see if the angle looks familiar to you.

I'm thinking somehow you might be missing the very edge or your too acute and are rolling over/past it.

Wouldn't hurt to give it a shot.

I've got a lansky also. I've tried using that and a couple swipes per side on the 20o slot. It's a little higher but not by much from what I can tell so I figure around 15-16o from my sander. I've never really been able to tell with an angle Marker. The edge is so small I can't get a feel for when it's flat. Probably why I have so much difficulty free handing

I've got a lansky also. I've tried using that and a couple swipes per side on the 20o slot. It's a little higher but not by much from what I can tell so I figure around 15-16o from my sander. I've never really been able to tell with an angle Marker. The edge is so small I can't get a feel for when it's flat. Probably why I have so much difficulty free handing

First, I never trust any slot on any system. For instance, on the WEPS, the angle changes according to the height of the knife, so I ignore settings and go with the cube readings and adjust accordingly.

"The edge is so small I can't get a feel for when it's flat."
Hmm .... maybe that's a reason. I know my edges are plainly visible, no doubt about it, especially if your in the 17 degree range.

Don't have a pic handy but found this one done on a WEPS:

scaled.php

That's at 20 degrees from what the poster says. That is what I get on my WEPS and what I shoot for on a belt.

I'll have to snap a pic of some of my edges.

Here's another from WEPS:

WEsharpenedKnife.jpg

Blade thickness has a lot to do with it, but I get a relative visible edge that you can plainly see a sharpie on. I use the flat oval sharpies, just lay them on the edge and go.
The flat covers the whole edge and no overlap.

Oh I can plainly see the edge. My edges look like that. Not quite as perfect and even but still plainly visible. I just can't get a feeling for the apex when laying it on something flat. It all feels the same even with a flat v edge

Another suggestion, those cheapo loops at around 30x - 40x on amazon, ever try them and take a look?
They work really well for the $.

Maybe when your before your last pass, sharpie it, make a pass, then loop it to see the bur, or black if left, or what exactly is there.

Just thinking out loud, getting stumped.

Actually I was Planning on getting a couple next time I go to the city. Lee valley has them. Plus it's an excuse to drool over their nice stuff. Probably gonna try some trizacts too

Ok so i read the entire thread ! ... And i haven't
Seen a solid answer to My question which is :
Is the harbor freight 1x30 belt grinder/sander
Good to go for stock removal knife making ?
Thanks in advance !

Frank

Ok so i read the entire thread ! ... And i haven't
Seen a solid answer to My question which is :
Is the harbor freight 1x30 belt grinder/sander
Good to go for stock removal knife making ?
Thanks in advance !

Frank

FWIW,
I sharpen, don't make, but have turned badly broken knives into users already on this. Not just shape but thinning as well.
But, in my limited time on this machine, my impression is its too fast.
If I'm not moving and dunking, the heat is growing.

I'm waiting for a discount (should have just gotten it last week, it just jumped $20) on the kalamazoo and hope that may be better in all respects, but these HFs are handy in a pinch.

Back