Hard to open, yes I adjusted it

Status
Not open for further replies.
I received my right hand Mr. DP version today. It is not the tension from screw I am having a problem with. It is the initial push to get the roller out of its hole and start rolling is where I am having a problem. I understand it has to have something keeping it closed but mine is very hard for me. Most of the time I cant do it right handed. I can not carry the knife like this. I took my blade out to see if there was anything abnormal looking. Everything looked fine to me. Is it supposed to have a groove to help get it started like on the closing end or is it just a hole? Or do I just need to open and close it 1000 times to get it broken in? Or do I need to hit the gym more? I carry a Benchmade Griptilian everyday and have owned several other BMs and Spydercos and others. I never had a problem opening any other one hand knife before. This is not a complaint thread. It is a "I have a problem does anyone have any ideas how I can solve it" thread. Any ideas?

Other than that it is a badass knife. Well built and one that I would like to EDC. The Ti skull tool is rough and unfinished but functions as it should. The tin is very cool. I need to gather up some stuff from to put in it when I get home from work. My tip barely sticks up, not a problem on mine. It should not get caught on anything. All of my Mr. DP hats have "DP" on them. There are some mini hidden Mr. DPs under the teflon washers.

you could try sanding down the little ball a little...or just open and close it a few hundred times

Yes, that's what I was going to say also. I had a Leatherman Wave that had that problem and I did a few passes of a file to make it a bit easier.

you could try sanding down the little ball a little...or just open and close it a few hundred times

What do you know my first post is a tech one. ha You dont want to sand down the ball. It may cause serious binding if the register hole isn't tapered. If there's a hole that the ball drops into it would be best to just counter sink it slightly. Does anyone have a photo of the detent hole?

Last edited:
The Ti skull tool is rough and unfinished but functions as it should.

I have gotten knives where the back of the blade was so squared off it was almost sharp. Just buff it with a ceramic rod. This will break that wire edge effect.

It is not the back of the knife I have problems with. Just the little hole the ball sits in when it is closed. I'll pull my blade out when I get home and take a pic.

Also make sure you aren't applying pressure on the lockbar/detent ball against the blade when opening it right handed. Many Ti framelock knives will bind the opening blade against the lockbar/detent ball when they are ne and being opened with a firm right hand grip. Try opening the knife left handed and if it opens much easier, it's your grip on the knife and lockbar pressure while opening it right handed.

Last edited:
Everything looks normal. Maybe it is just me?

dpxi.jpg

Mini hidden Mr. DP

Here is what I did since getting home tonight. After taking the pic I posted I put it back together and literally opened and closed it 300 times to wear it in some. I then took it back apart and lubed it up with synthetic wheel bearing grease. It helped a lot. It is still harder than I am used to but I will adapt. I am sure it will get better with use.

Here is what I did since getting home tonight. After taking the pic I posted I put it back together and literally opened and closed it 300 times to wear it in some. I then took it back apart and lubed it up with synthetic wheel bearing grease. It helped a lot. It is still harder than I am used to but I will adapt. I am sure it will get better with use.

This knife has a clip down. For this reason the retention ball must work in a strong way. When you carry it in your pocket, you must be sure, that the blade do not accidently opens.
I any case, after a couple of using days, when all the edges are slightly worn the knife will be more smooth.

DO NOT sand on the ball. I would say use a quality grease/oil. Sit down and open and close it about 500 times in front of the tv with two hands. If this doesnt help disassemble the knife again, try another type of lube. Also work the frame lock "slightly" and this might help. Also a small drop of oil onto the detent can help.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for the input. Scots, read my post a couple above yours. From what I did it helped a lot. I am sure it will get better with edc use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back