Hartsfield?

I am a great admirer of traditional nihonto and have pretty many in my collection antique and new. I like the lure of the smith imparting something to the blade and Phill truly believes this and I find it funny that if you watch a traditional smith forge a blade and see him due his prayer rituals no one scoffs at his beliefs. I know Phill does not forge his blades but I believe his heart is in the right place and I truly enjoy his way of looking and his beliefs. Phill once told me he builds a sword that he believes would be the modern interpitation of what a katana would have evolved to if it was still used in battle. I would humble agree with him. Although they do not have the traditional look I think alot of people would be amazed at how well his swords cut. In my crude hands when I cut with one of his swords and then another custom from some one else I can not believe the difference.......STeven I know my form sucks but I am still having fun.

No problem with a sword that makes up for the shortcomings of the user...it is a LOUSY swordsman who blames good equipment for lousy performance...

As far as the assertations about the evolution of the Nihonto blade going towards chisel grinds without proper tsuka or habaki....not f'in likely, Joe, but it sounds good.

Have fun cutting amigo, maybe someday you will take it seriously....it ain't no child's game.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

That is my only gripe about Phill's blades---too heavy. If my Katana was lighter in weight, I don't know if i would have sold it. Yea, I would. For other reasons.

No problem with a sword that makes up for the shortcomings of the user...it is a LOUSY swordsman who blames good equipment for lousy performance...

As far as the assertations about the evolution of the Nihonto blade going towards chisel grinds without proper tsuka or habaki....not f'in likely, Joe, but it sounds good.

Have fun cutting amigo, maybe someday you will take it seriously....it ain't no child's game.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Thanks STeven

STeven be nice or I will sic my puppy on you
Pup21.jpg

That is my only gripe about Phill's blades---too heavy. If my Katana was lighter in weight, I don't know if i would have sold it. Yea, I would. For other reasons.

I know the reasons you are referring to. The man's temper is unpredictable.

Why do you have a photo of a lab rat on a noose? Just kidding. I am sure that puppy is like your child.:D

Na I got kids but if he grows up to be half the hunting dog his dad is I will be happy. When I showed my kids pics of the litter my kids thought they where as they put it piggies. No offense taken

...and a strongboy
L1000359.jpg

That Strongboy sure looks tough! is it also Chiseledged?
Nice looking knife there, thanks for sharing some images of your collection.
G2

This is my favourite of the Hartsfield designs. For me, the swedge makes the difference. The others tend to look a little too straight up and down, if you get my meaning. The traditional tsuba also adds another dimension.

Personally though, I'm not a fan of chisel grinds, although I have not had any experience with a zero edge chisel.

BH---If you experienced a true chisel grind, you'd change your mind.
TJL---Phill really has become a crank. He used to be nicer, more balanced. But...I do not know what he is going through.

No that's what I call softening all the pictures of these sharp and wicked knives knives, Torcado!! Look at the size of those paws!

Strong Boy has always been a favorite, I've owned two in the past. G2, they are chisel ground.

Here's a different one, a Yoroi Toshi blade with a Force handle. This is double ground. A good example of what you can get from Phill as a true custom.

Win

standard.jpg

that is by far the most coolest knife I've seen from this guy! Very nifty.

Win,

That knife needs a copper or bronze bolster like plants need sunshine, IMO.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Strong Boy has always been a favorite, I've owned two in the past. G2, they are chisel ground.

Here's a different one, a Yoroi Toshi blade with a Force handle. This is double ground. A good example of what you can get from Phill as a true custom.

Win

standard.jpg

again to quote another member here, "I have not seen quality like that since Old Hickory!" lol I love that quote

Win

standard.jpg

Win I like it. thanks for posting

I am a self admitted fan of Phill's knives but alas don't have the funds to invest in such things. I have owned a few knives of his and all of em were more than up to the task of doing knife stuff. Being unable to afford Phill's designs was one of the motivators for getting me grinding :) I used to make a crap load of knives that looked just like his work. I think a large part of Phill's perceived greatness comes from what he has always maintained that a knife is a cutting tool. His blades have always had excellent edges and in a market where many of his fellow makers were making great looking knives but with cruddy edges, it allowed him to shine. I hate to say it but I have seen way too many knives out there that looked "perfect" but the edges were not right for using right out of the shop. I guess that collectors and users are usually looking for different criteria and makers need to meet the needs of their buyers. The other thing Mr Hartsfield has going for him is the fact that he is a "first". I may catch heck for saying it but just like Randall, Loveless, and Moran, Phill is the 1st one doing knives like he does and that is something in this world.

The other thing Mr Hartsfield has going for him is the fact that he is a "first". I may catch heck for saying it but just like Randall, Loveless, and Moran, Phill is the 1st one doing knives like he does and that is something in this world.

Bob Lum and Phill Hartsfield both sold their first knives around 1976, so the "1st" thing may be arguable....and for putting Hartsfield in the same sentence as Randall, Loveless and Moran, I may smack you with my damascus crowbar the next time I see you.;)

You might as well mention Steve Corkum and Jefferson Spivey in the same sentence as well...jeez:eek:
Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Didn't mean first for the tanto or any particular blade shape. Meant it for the traits of a Hartsfield knife. The rougher finishing and the zero edges :) Bring yer crowbar! I welcome the challenge! Sure I might get beat but it is with the coolest crowbar I ever saw :D

Back