Has Anyone Done a Cutting Test of Their Kizer Blade S35V?

GatorFlash1

Gold Member
Mine seem to be doing great as far as edge holding. I'm just curious as to whether anyone has done a rope cutting test of their Kizer to see how it compared with other brands.

I guess nobody has ever done a comparison of the Kizer S35v to another knife of the same material.

I have seen anecdotal comments from users in the various Kizer threads found in the General Discussion subforum. But no formal testing as of yet.

I haven't done any formal cutting tests, but a Kizer finds its way into my pocket on a regular basis so I have a "perception" that the S35VN steel performs well (echoing what austonh said above). In terms of edge holding, it seems to outperform VG10, S30V and 154CM. It feels about on par with Elmax and maybe a bit behind M390 or CTS-204P. It's a little tricky because I'm still dealing with factory edge on my Kizers, so I might be judging "out of box" sharpness. I can't really speak on sharpening because I rotate so many different knives through my EDC each knife can go long intervals without a turn on the Edge Pro...also, moving from an industrial work environment to an office work environment, I find I use my EDC knife a lot less (sad, really).

One of my Kizers accidentally got wet and stayed damp for several days and there was no trace of rust or corrosion on the blade. I guess that's something.

I did testing a while back. It under performed for S35VN, just below CRK's S35VN in performance. (it was like 2nd to last in performance) I had two of these knives. I did testing on the 2nd.

Overall I did not like the qualtiy of the knife it was a 3404. My 2nd came with a gouge in the framelock internally, and lots of scratches. It also came with 4 washers instead of 2, and poor lock up.
I reached out to kizer for warranty. The first time I asked I was told it would need to be sent to China, then investigation would be done. Not worth it shipping to China. It would have been about $50.
Recently I asked about a blade replacement/warranty. I was told they'd sell me a replacement knife after I ship them mine for $70-$80.

I spent $120 on mine. Neither solution made any sense from a cost, nor quality of knife.
I felt stupid, and should have saved for a knife with proper warranty and after-sales service. To this date it's been the worst $120 I've spent on a knife.

Edit: The Reate I tested during pass around was far better imho from every standpoint. Quality, heat treatment, etc.

I did testing a while back. It under performed for S35VN, just below CRK's S35VN in performance. (it was like 2nd to last in performance) I had two of these knives. I did testing on the 2nd.

Overall I did not like the qualtiy of the knife it was a 3404. My 2nd came with a gouge in the framelock internally, and lots of scratches. It also came with 4 washers instead of 2, and poor lock up.
I reached out to kizer for warranty. The first time I asked I was told it would need to be sent to China, then investigation would be done. Not worth it shipping to China. It would have been about $50.
Recently I asked about a blade replacement/warranty. I was told they'd sell me a replacement knife after I ship them mine for $70-$80.

I spent $120 on mine. Neither solution made any sense from a cost, nor quality of knife.
I felt stupid, and should have saved for a knife with proper warranty and after-sales service. To this date it's been the worst $120 I've spent on a knife.

Edit: The Reate I tested during pass around was far better imho from every standpoint. Quality, heat treatment, etc.

Where did you buy it from? Why didn't you immediately return it? And why does shipping to China cost you $50? I've shipped to Thailand (farther away than China from where I am) for under $20 multiple times.

Where did you buy it from? Why didn't you immediately return it? And why does shipping to China cost you $50? I've shipped to Thailand (farther away than China from where I am) for under $20 multiple times.

They required trackable shipping, iirc.

One was from knifeworks. The second one I forgot may have been knifecenter or knifeworks again. In any case it was used for testing, and foudn the issues after testing. Can't return a used knife.

To this date it's been the worst $120 I've spent on a knife.

Wow, your experience is entirely opposite of my experience with Kizer knives, which extends through 16 (soon to be 18, hurry up USPS!) different models. I have to think you somehow had the bad luck to get the rare "off" units, which can happen with any manufacturer. I encourage you to take another look at a Kizer. Extra washers, bad lockup, scratches, gouges...those failings just don't mesh with what I've seen with these knives. Sure, I have some I like better than others, but I've never encountered the kind of manufacturing errors you describe. The new Laconico Gemini looks sweet...maybe give that one a try...

Last edited:
Wow, your experience is entirely opposite of my experience with Kizer knives, which extends through 16 (soon to be 18, hurry up USPS!) different models. I have to think you somehow had the bad luck to get the rare "off" units, which can happen with any manufacturer. I encourage you to take another look at a Kizer. Extra washers, bad lockup, scratches, gouges...those failings just don't mesh with what I've seen with these knives. Sure, I have some I like better than others, but I've never encountered the kind of manufacturing errors you describe. The new Laconico Gemini looks sweet...maybe give that one a try...

I wouldn't mind giving it a try in fact I love the Gemini but I am not in the mentality of risking money when I already had a bad experience with it. At $120, I expected better from Kizer in the after sale service/warranty. For $170 I'd rather buy a Zero Tolerance, Spyderco, Benchmade etc. There's the ZT 0450, or a Benchmade 940, or a Spyderco Paramilitary 2 in S110v which I should be receiving today.
So many options in that price point that are just as good, or better plus they have far better warranty, and after sales service.

Too many people get focused on the materials, and forget about warranty and after sales. A knife isn't going to last a life time of regular use if there's no one to service or replace parts.
For example on a classic knife like the Buck Vantage Pro S30v. I've had that knife for a few years and has been used for just about anything, I am not gentle on my knives you can see some videos of hard using limited edition expensive knives (ZT 801BRWCF for example). The liner lock started to develop up and down play as well as traveling near to the end of the tang. I sent it in to Buck, they're taking care of it. When it comes back, it should be good enough to use for years to come.

They required trackable shipping, iirc.

One was from knifeworks. The second one I forgot may have been knifecenter or knifeworks again. In any case it was used for testing, and foudn the issues after testing. Can't return a used knife.

According to Kizer's rep here on the forums they have a warranty center in the US.

I'm up there with you in terms of experience with Kizers, and I've never, repeat, never seen anything even remotely close to what Luis G. is talking about. It makes you wonder...

Edit: I don't mean to imply that I think Luis G. is lying, it's just that his experience as described seems bizarrely uncharacteristic.

Last edited:
So many options in that price point that are just as good, or better plus they have far better warranty, and after sales service.

Too many people get focused on the materials, and forget about warranty and after sales. A knife isn't going to last a life time of regular use if there's no one to service or replace parts.

I completely understand that. I jumped on the Kizer bandwagon when their average price was just under $100. $170 for the Gemini is approaching my limit and I'm holding off on any of their +$200 offerings. This is why I was largely critical of the Reate Horizon D; a $400 Reate with no Stateside service or warranty center was too much for me.

I guess its a happy symptom of our times that there are too many choices in knives. You can sure prove that by a visit to my workbench. :rolleyes:

I like my Kizers but one of them came with a big scratch on the pocket clip and I've been waiting for a replacement from China for like 2 months- not even sure if it is coming anymore.

I have had nothing but perfection from my Kizers. I bought a Dorado off the exchange last week and it is absolute top notch. I'm not going to go all hog wild on Chinese knives, but I'm very impressed so far. I'm looking forward to receiving the Gemini one of these days...

Hi, guys:

I wanted to chime in here real quick. Apologies for the late reply, being on the road does take a toll these days.

Luis: I apologize for your experience. If you still have the knife, please send me a PM regarding it.

As for the US based warranty center, we focus mostly on exchanges but we also mail out small parts. I have sent out replacement for lost parts but I've also seen that when new models come out sometimes it takes a little time to get everything set up here so the factory would be the best alternative since they already have all the parts in ready supply. That's why for some models you will see different shipping solutions at different times.

Feel free to send me questions through the Bladeforums system, and I will make an effort to participate more as schedule clears.

Thank you.

Kizer.

I may have come off a bit strong. So let me be a bit less bias.

What I deduced: S35VN was under performing even behind CRK. It wasn't the worst performing S35VN category steel but it wasn't even average. It reminded me of Benchmades 154CM~. The titanium is really titanium it is a bit soft compared to titanium from Chris Reeve or Zero Tolerance but that is titanium unless you get into more expensive titanium alloys.
Action was very smooth on the 1st sample. Detent was strong, may have been a bit too strong but imo it made flipping enjoyable. The lockbar face was carbidized, and the EDM lock bar cut out was a nice feature making it seems seamless.

Kizer, I don't have the knife any longer. Never carried it after testing, ended up reprofiling to a tanto shape for fun. It left a bad taste in my mouth that still lingers or I would have bought a Gemini already, love the knife but hate the support I received. I don't see any future purchases atm with the way prices are going with Kizer. Just too close to other products with warranties I've tried/loved.

For what it's worth, I'm pretty much on Hackenslash's side of the fence. Without stateside service I too will not pay $200+ for a knife. As Kizer prices increase, it's getting more and more difficult for me to entertain purchasing their new offerings. The flip side is that I don't just like my new Kizer Gemini . . . I flat out LOVE it. I admit to being a Ray Laconico fan and I'm aware of the prices Ray's customs command these days . . . when you can find them, that is. That's what persuaded me to roll the dice and buy the Gemini . . . particularly after I learned that a few defectives had made their way into the wild. Fortunately, my Gemini turned out to be flawless and I'm happy I bought it, but it will probably be my last Kizer knife until the company steps up and establishes a permanent service center in the U.S. Having to ship a knife offshore for service is simply unacceptable to me.

Last edited:
From what I've read on the interwebs, thier quality of materials doesnt't seem to be as good as most s35vn and ti

A performance comparison of S35VN is a valid concept and it would evaluate their heat treat, edge geometry and potentially sharpening process/edge temperature control during said process. However, people on the webs stating that the titanium isn't as good are full of ****. There are no performance characteristics of titanium and the only difference between 6AL4V and TC4 is the purity of the Ti when used in medical implants. Gotta love the interwebs...

Back