Has common courtesy gone by the wayside?

Terry M.

Platinum Member
I’ve recently sold about 5 knives via here and FB and not one of those 5 people have responded that the knives were received and intact. I can tell by tracking that they arrived and so I guess I have that but whenever I get a knife the first thing I do is rush to let the seller know that I received it in good order. Sure, I can reach out to them but, c’mon ……… Maybe I’m asking too much anymore? Thoughts?

Case in point...Olumin is here since April.

You and I, Terry, have been here 17 and 25 years respectively.

Something's changed along the way. And not for the better.

It takes very little to do the stand-up thing.

The fact they're not complaining would be good enough for me, ha!

You know the saying; people don't say anything as long as everything is OK, they only start speaking up once something is wrong. It is what it is.
Another fact is that the deal isn’t a deal until both parties are satisfied
when/how do crickets signal a deal done?

I expect the same as you. Whenever I sell I send the buyer a photo of the package, receipt and tracking number. I also ask to please let me know when it arrives and let me know if they are happy with it and I will leave positive feedback. I don’t leave feedback til I hear back. I will reach out again if I don’t hear anything but occasionally won’t get a reply.

Another fact is that the deal isn’t a deal until both parties are satisfied
when/how do crickets signal a deal done?
I'm not saying this kind of behaviour is ideal, but that it is simply an accurate description of how things are. For better or for worse doesn't really matter.

Personally, I also would let the seller know that everything is OK, or in the case of eBay, leave a review. To me that's simply common sense; but if we know one thing about common sense, it's that it's not common.

I’ve recently sold about 5 knives via here and FB and not one of those 5 people have responded that the knives were received and intact. I can tell by tracking that they arrived and so I guess I have that but whenever I get a knife the first thing I do is rush to let the seller know that I received it in good order. Sure, I can reach out to them but, c’mon ……… Maybe I’m asking too much anymore? Thoughts?
I do the same and you sure are not asking too much. If we give up it’s over!

This doesn't apply to knives, but common courtesy came up with me this week. I was in a chain sandwich shop and had already placed my order. As the lady was making my sandwich, I realized something was skipped by me when the order was placed. This is how the conversation went:

Me: Excuse me. I am sorry, but forgot to ask for pickles on my sandwich. Would you be able to add them? Please.
Sandwich Maker: Wow, that was the nicest way anyone has ever asked me for pickles. They usually yell "I WANTED PICKLES ON THAT!" or "YOU FORGOT TO PUT PICKLES ON IT!".

People are so self absorbed any more that they don't put themselves in the other person's place. Admittedly, I don't always do it myself, but I try not to jump the gun and snap at someone for making a mistake. You don't see the traffic light turn green and within 2 seconds, someone is laying loud on the horn instead of giving it a toot to make the person up front aware.

I’ve had a couple not let me know it got there. Both noobs. They’re from a different era I guess.

I always let the shipper know it got to me and if it’s what I expected. Without fail. It simply is common courtesy and a necessary step in the deal IMO.

I always let the person know it has arrived, and generally give some feedback such as how I like it. I have not bought from any individual seller’s, but most makers I have dealt with ask to be notified.

Common courtesy is no longer common- you are correct.

Well Grampa, ya know your getting old when ya start askin those questions : ○》

I generally confirm receipt by leaving good feedback (since I haven't had reason not to). Someone failing to respond to my inquiry as a seller about whether it was ok after delivered would earn them an immediate spot on "ignore."

I’ve had a couple not let me know it got there. Both noobs. They’re from a different era I guess.

I always let the shipper know it got to me and if it’s what I expected. Without fail. It simply is common courtesy and a necessary step in the deal IMO.
When I sell a knife, I’ll keep the funds in my PayPal account until the buyer has received it and is happy with everything, then it becomes mine to spend. It makes things easier if a refund is in order. So, yes it’s part of the deal.

Back