Has the Horseman undergone substantial changes or is this a copy? Emerson Rep FYI?

the stainless side liner isn't magnetic either though. just checked it on one of my newer emersons. the blade is though as well as the pocket clip.

note didn't use super magnet just a refrigerator style that came out of a phone book thin magnet deal. it didn't stick to either liner.

where are the pics at for this one, wanted to see the details for education sake. sorry op this happened to you.

How old is the Emerson you checked. The older ones used two Ti liners. The newer ones the lockbar liner is titanium and the other liner is stainless steel.

Also to EDCAdmas it is extremely hard for the Chinese Gov. to shut these down. They just open again next door. Most these factories expect to be shit down and are ready for this, prepared to reopen again and again.

How old is the Emerson you checked. The older ones used two Ti liners. The newer ones the lockbar liner is titanium and the other liner is stainless steel.

Also to EDCAdmas it is extremely hard for the Chinese Gov. to shut these down. They just open again next door. Most these factories expect to be shit down and are ready for this, prepared to reopen again and again.

non dated cqc13, or newer one with the standoffs instead of the back spacer. it's steel liner titanium lock, legit one too, and that 300 series stainless steel ain't magnetic.

quoted for info sake .....

"One of the alloying metals, chromium, causes stainless steel
to have a magnetic grain structure. Another of the possible
alloying elements, nickel, reduces or inhibits magnetic properties.
The 300-series stainless steels have varying degrees
of nickel making them mostly non-magnetic."

"In their basic forms stainless steels have a ferritic grain
structure, similar to carbon steel, and are magnetic. The
addition of nickel in the 300-series stainless steels modifies
the crystal grain structure to austenitic. The austenitic
grades are mostly non-magnetic in the unworked state due
to their nickel content. When 300-series stainless steels are
cold-worked, straining of the atomic lattice structure in the
areas of cold-working forms the magnetic grain structure
martensite.
Generally speaking, the higher the nickel content the more
stable the austenitic structure and less magnetic response
from cold-working. Consequently 316 stainless steel, with
higher amounts of nickel, exhibits virtually no magnetism
after cold-working in most cases. While 304, with lower
nickel content, may become mildly magnetic."

quoted from......... Magnetism and Other Properties of Stainless Steel
Gregg V. Summers, P.E.
Director of Product Development

website.....

www.pencomsf.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/TB_MAG_SS.pdf

All that stuff about steel being magnetic or not in various states is extremely interesting to me. For the longest time I wasn't aware that steel could be non-magnetic at all. I am not sure how the different states of steel contribute to the magnetism. I am after all no scientist.

If your Emerson is made with standoffs rather than a backspacer it is definitely new enough that one of the liners should be stainless steel. I actually haven't taken a magnet to my Emersons. I have however taken a magnet to my ZTs and found that the liner underneath the scale on all of them is magnetic, and thus stainless steel. It always kind of bothered me that they have a Ti lockbar scale but the liner under the G10 scale is stainless steel. Kind of takes away from the value of having a Ti knife. This is part of the reason I like the ZT 0452 so much. It doesn't have the entirely superfluous steel liner under its carbon fibre scale. I think all the ZTs should have been designed this way. The stainless steel liner contributes very little to strength but adds a lot in weight. Knives like the 0562 shouldn't have that steel liner. This is of course just an opinion.

All that stuff about steel being magnetic or not in various states is extremely interesting to me. For the longest time I wasn't aware that steel could be non-magnetic at all. I am not sure how the different states of steel contribute to the magnetism. I am after all no scientist.

If your Emerson is made with standoffs rather than a backspacer it is definitely new enough that one of the liners should be stainless steel. I actually haven't taken a magnet to my Emersons. I have however taken a magnet to my ZTs and found that the liner underneath the scale on all of them is magnetic, and thus stainless steel. It always kind of bothered me that they have a Ti lockbar scale but the liner under the G10 scale is stainless steel. Kind of takes away from the value of having a Ti knife. This is part of the reason I like the ZT 0452 so much. It doesn't have the entirely superfluous steel liner under its carbon fibre scale. I think all the ZTs should have been designed this way. The stainless steel liner contributes very little to strength but adds a lot in weight. Knives like the 0562 shouldn't have that steel liner. This is of course just an opinion.

yeah i didn't quote the whole pdf, but 400 series is magnetic and i expect zt is using this steel for the liner where emerson says on his website 300 series. 300 series stainless is super corrosion resistant though from the chromium and nickel and that is a benefit even with the added minimal extra weight. it's a non issue to me but i can see how others would want all titanium liners...both lock side and other side. i wouldn't not like it, but if it cost more in the end price i'd prefer the 300 stainless.

Back