Hats off................to Opinel

Thanks for some of the comments having to do with the screwdriver method of easing the stiffness of opening the knife as well as comments on the duty use other than slicing/food prep. That's just why I bought them, for a picnic day pack. I'm sure they are capable of far more tasks than what I bought mine for. However, in my Land Cruiser (where the picnic pack is stowed), I have a veritable arsenal of outdoor knives from a 30+ year old Buck 119, to a couple of early Fallkniven pilot survival knives with assorted SAKs and Moras stashed in various packs (used to do SAR). Also keep a Gransofrs Bruks small axe in the rig. Point being, I have plenty of heavier duty blades than the Opinels but none are more bitchin' their old world design, I just use them as cutlery.

DRgAHDB.jpg

For no great reason, I picked up a #13 last week.
IMG_9519.jpeg

As far as its utility goes, I consider it an emphatic solution patiently waiting for a problem. On the other hand, since I've never before owned a true two-handed hilt, maybe I've just never noticed these major problems floating around.

In all seriousness though, it's quite a piece. The beechwood, when carved 3 times as thick, feels like a very, very solid wood. And the steel that makes up the vibralock, being thicker, does not feel bendable, like the hardware of the little guys. It sort of feels like it's the knife of which all those toys (#2-12) are kids versions.

FYI, pictured for scale are: an Opinel #8, last year's forum knife, and a Case large trapper.

View attachment 2461455

As far as its utility goes, I consider it an emphatic solution patiently waiting for a problem. On the other hand, since I've never before owned a true two-handed hilt, maybe I've just never noticed these major problems floating around.

In all seriousness though, it's quite a piece. The beechwood, when carved 3 times as thick, feels like a very, very solid wood. And the steel that makes up the vibralock, being thicker, does not feel bendable, like the hardware of the little guys. It sort of feels like it's the knife of which all those toys (#2-12) are kids versions.

FYI, pictured for scale are: an Opinel #8, last year's forum knife, and a Case large trapper.
I want to get one someday.
It’s a novelty and I know it.
… but I want it.

I carry a #6 most of the time, so it feels like the next most reasonable step.

View attachment 2461455

Try that as a Neck Knife :eek::cool:

Back