Have a question

How easy would it be to insert something into the handle of a small sebenza?

I am leaving tonight to bury my grandfather in Nampa ID. Buried my father last year. My father and grandfather had golden pheasant tie tacks they bought as a set along with my uncle. This trip, one of them will come to me. I do not wear ties very often, but have considered having the heirloom set in a small classic sebenza and carrying it daily. It would be my first sebenza. I have emailed and found that I can tour the shop in Boise. Could have asked then, but didn't think of it.
Has anyone else done anything like this? Did it hold up during daily carry?

The reason I am considering a sebenza is that from what I have read from this and other forums, it will likely survive me and a few of mine down the line.

29 views and no feedback. Well, I will ask tomorrow if they can do it.
Was my question not clear, or has no one done an aftermarket modification?

Perhaps some of you think it is ghoulish. Well for your benefit, the one I am receiving is my father's. It has taken me a year to see it without tearing up. I miss them both dearly. This is a way I thought about keeping part of them with me. A way to reflect more often.

.........just that I've never done it. I have seen it done and heard of it being done and was told that you can use something like epoxy glue or J.B. Weld to fill the hole and place the tie clip in it as it sets up. Try KF as I remember reading about this but can't remember which forum.

btw, I think it is a great idea! And the sebbie will indeed last to be handed down to your children's children.:) :) :)

Within limits we can inlay items other than coins or stones - the answer to this question has everything to do with the size of tie tack. We will see Ed T when he gets here!

To illustrate what we can do, here is a large Sebenza that we made for Pam, who works with us. She was in the Marines and so was her dad - the knife was a gift to her dad. She had first thought to use a button off dress uniform but this pin did the trick and looks great.

Anne

I have returned from my trip to Idaho and would like to extend my thanks to CRK. The visit to your shop made a very difficult time easier. My wife and I were very impressed with how friendly everyone was and the time you took from your very busy schedule to speak with us.

Here is a picture of what I am aiming for. I think that we will try to use the guide hole as suggested earlier. I have a friend that is a jewler and I will enlist his help.

I chose the large plain as I have a large hand and it seemed better for me that the small. I selected the plain as it seems to fit the two men that I am remembering. They both worked very hard and were very straightforward men. Dad retired from the Santa Cedar Mill in Santa ID. Grandpa retired as the superintendent of the street department in Nampa ID. They both loved the outdoors and had an appreciation for life and its simple pleasures.

Again, my heartfelt thanks to CRK.

Looks very good! another formite did a similar thing with an Eagle, I had a picture of it but it's now gone, maybe he will take another pic and post it...calling LarryLuana!

G2

I've been gone all day today to the Reno Gun & Knife Show having a great time, and spending all my hard earned money on more new knives.
Anyway when my computer crashed I lost all my pics, and had to buy a new one about 6 months ago. Sooooooo not being a Gold Member I will take another scan tomorrow after going to the last day of the Show, and will send it to Gary, and have him post it here on the forums.
I bought a sterling silver eagle about 2 years ago, and put in on my small Sebenza to keep in the theme of being a Harley owner, also did a large Sebenza with a logo in the intials of HD in sterling silver, and made them a little different looking by filling up the pilot hole on the handles. Nothing real fancy, just unique I think.
Gary liked it, and also thought it was different at the time I did it. I got the idea from Chris Reeve when he started putting stones in the same hole on his decorated Sebenzas.
Anyway will get the pics to him of the 2 knives tomorrow.

Larry

Thank you. I look forward to seeing the pictures. And thank you Gary for your good memory!

Ed T

To make the job easier, maybe a relief could be milled into the Ti in the shape of an oval that is large enough to enclose the entire pheasant. Then, your jeweler could flow solver solder into the areas and set the pheasant within.

Disclaimer: I an neither a machinist or jeweler, but I think alot.:rolleyes:

Here be the two knives that Larry was speaking of, nicely done and a good addition to his collection now!

G2

Thanks for doing the pics for me Gary, and sorry I did not include the matching sheaths that they go in as I left them on my belt :(
The eagle, and the logo are actually sterling silver hat pins, and I used a small piece of rubber tubing the size of the pilot hole on the benzas, and then used epoxy to attach them on to the knives. And they have never moved or came off in the almost 3 years I have had them done. The small one has been daily carry much more than the large, and has been on my belt in the G2 sheath about 3 years.
The way Gary made the sheath on both the eagle,and HD logo show even with the knives in the sheaths, and look GREAT :) I have gotten many compliments on the combo of the work on the knives, and the sheaths, and makes a good looking combination.
All it takes is a little imagenation, and you can come up with many ways to dress up the plain Sebenza knife, and hide the pilot hole.

Larry

Thank you. I like both of those!
Seems as this will be very doable and durable.
Thank you again!

Ed
please except my condolenses on the loss of your grandfather. second i think the sebbie will look awesome, please post some pics when done.

What a marvelous idea. Since you have the tie tac you could take it and the knife to a jewler that makes custom jewlery and they could mill a small recess to fit the pheasant and set it with epoxy. This could be done by a good engraving shop also. Good luck.

Back