Have not owned a multi-tool in years!

Can't hurt to have a backup knife - one is none.. but I think there are some TSA-approved MTs around.

Buying myself a Christmas gift this year. Last multi I had was a few smaller SAK's and a Leatherman Wave.

What is the latest and greatest at the moment?

Thanks!
Without a doubt the Leatherman ARC is the latest and greatest at the moment…

I think there are some TSA-approved MTs around.

The Knifeless Rebar is the only one I know of that's 1. full size, 2. actually still in production, and 3. has a complete set of tools. Unfortunately while I do like the Rebar, it has no outside opening tools and no pocket clip. It's not something that I would use for EDC or travel. If you know of something else, then please do tell.

The Knifeless Rebar is the only one I know of that's 1. full size, 2. actually still in production, and 3. has a complete set of tools. Unfortunately while I do like the Rebar, it has no outside opening tools and no pocket clip. It's not something that I would use for EDC or travel. If you know of something else, then please do tell.

Just a quick googling:

Leatherman Style PS

Gerber Dime Travel

SOG PowerLock Traveler

Just a quick googling:

I wish you would have taken a little more time before posting a reply. Sadly, out of the three you listed, none of them meet the criteria that I gave.

Leatherman Style PS

Not full size. Doesn't have a complete tool set.

Gerber Dime Travel

Discontinued. Not full size. Doesn't have a complete tool set.

SOG PowerLock Traveler

Discontinued. Doesn't have a complete tool set (it is missing a wood saw).

I wish you would have taken a little more time before posting a reply. Sadly, out of the three you listed, none of them meet the criteria that I gave.

Not full size. Doesn't have a complete tool set.

Discontinued. Not full size. Doesn't have a complete tool set.

Discontinued. Doesn't have a complete tool set (it is missing a wood saw).

Oh well, fair enough.

Oh, there is actually one more option...

There's the Gerber MP600 Bladeless version.

Personally, I am not a huge fan of Gerber. I think they've gotten really lazy over the years (probably due to reliance on US government contracts) and many of their products are now made in China junk that doesn't hold up well. And the MP600 is a bit more expensive than the Rebar, so I would tend towards the Rebar, especially since I already own a Rebar and I like it.

But...

The MP600 has a u-shank adapter. It's similar to the t-shank adapter found on the Leatherman Surge. U-shank and T-shank are both different styles of jigsaw blade attachments that you can buy at any hardware store, so this opens up a lot of versatility. There are all kinds of different saws that you can buy for different tasks. That's a huge benefit in favor of the MP600, so I think it's worth considering for that reason alone.

Reactions: kms
If I was flying, I would leave my multi-tool at home.

I don't know much about working on airplanes, anyhow...

• Haha
Reactions: kms
But to be fair, the TSA will confiscate anything on a whim if they feel like it...
TSA once confiscated my nail clipper, because it had a swing out nail file “that could be used as a weapon.” It was about as threatening as a hangnail.

So, yeah.

Last edited:
I have a Leatherman Surge that is in my SHTF gear, but haven’t daily carried a MT in many years. A couple of weeks ago I bought a Leatherman Signal. I wanted something small enough for EDC carry, and had a kydex belt holster available. I bought the green handled topo pattern knife blade model. Love it.

My most carried multitools are all discontinued... favorite is the LM Juice. However, I do carry the Curl every so often. It is weighs an ounce lighter than the wave and has all the tools I like to have with me. My biggest gripe is that the smooth area under the pocket clip allows the MT to slide around on the pocket lip. I have a Skeletool and Signal, but I cringe when I actually have to use them for medium+ duty jobs.

I have considered the Bond, but haven't picked one up yet as I like having a scissors and some reviews suggest the knife blade can stick up a little from the handle and cause a cut if not paying attention. The knife-less Rebar has been on my list for a long time, too.

The medium size Sog has tools that are too small for my needs. Another option I haven't tried but have considered (again, no scissors) is the Gerber Crucial. It's Juice size. The issue I have, is that My Gerber Dime has had it's Phillips bent for medium duty tasks that my LM Squirt too with aplomb.

Currently, I use a mini groove joint pliers and an MT centered around the knife (LM Crater).

He's gonna make us wait, isn't he...?

;)
I got the Gerber, but I may get a Leatherman,too... and the Gerber may ride in my desk drawer at work. I am still acclimating myself to this new stuff. I have a Leatherman in great condition somewhere that has Bosch Tools logo on it. Cannot find it to save my life, though.

Typically how it works...

I don't mind getting old as much as getting old and crazy...

You don't have to be old to forget where you put stuff. Everyone does it. I've been doing it since I was a little kid. I forget all kinds of things from passwords I set less than a day ago to why I walked into a particular room. "Crap. What was I going to do in here?" Sadly it has nothing to do with age.

You should have no problem travelling with multitool in checked luggage but I have read comments that some airlines don’t allow multitools at all in carry on.. and I totally get it. I am sure most airplanes don’t have lots of visible screws around but I still would not care about some EDC psycho adjusting loose screws on my plane.

Back