Hawk Handles

What is the most durable wood to use as a hawk handle both for throwing and general use? What is best to put on a handle to maintain it in good shape?

Hickory is the best, you can get them at Crazy Crow online. I dye all my hafts with leather dye and coat with linseed oil. Good straight grain Ash also works well.

Regards

Robin

Pipeman, What does the handle look like after you have dyed it? I am thinking of putting a handle in a hawk but was wanting something dark or close to black.

Pipeman, What does the handle look like after you have dyed it? I am thinking of putting a handle in a hawk but was wanting something dark or close to black.

I use Fiebings leather dye, it comes in all colours. I usually do a tan base then stripe it to resemble curly. I just did one with black over red and rubbed the black off early so the red showed through to match the burgundy latigo sheath I made for the hawk. I'll take a pic tomorrow if it stops snowing here and post a link to it. You can buy the dye at Tandys if you are near one. Shoe repair shops usually carry the black too.

Regards

Robin

I use Fiebings leather dye, it comes in all colours. I usually do a tan base then stripe it to resemble curly. I just did one with black over red and rubbed the black off early so the red showed through to match the burgundy latigo sheath I made for the hawk. I'll take a pic tomorrow if it stops snowing here and post a link to it. You can buy the dye at Tandys if you are near one. Shoe repair shops usually carry the black too.

Regards

Robin

Cool thanks for the info.

Back