Heat Treatment - Crystal Weaving Foundation

The 4v and the m398 look unscathed. They do have a very clear secondary bevel whereas the magnacut looks flat ground from spine to the edge,or is that is just an illusion?

The 4v and the m398 look unscathed. They do have a very clear secondary bevel whereas the magnacut looks flat ground from spine to the edge,or is that is just an illusion?
Most if not all blades belt ground to apexed around sharpening bevel minus 1-4 dps, including magnacut. Thickness behind the edge isn't a factor in outcome, since damages less than sharpening bevel. W2 edge thickness probably around 0.0045" and clearly it didn't affect the outcome. Crucial factor is edge/apex resistance to deflection, where magnacut inspite at 64rc it has lowest resistance to deflection, hence deformed most among these steels.

It is logical to suggest using higher dps to magnacut to add resistance to deflection (via more volume strength), well then other steels would proportionally increased strength as well. Otoh excessive strength would be a waste, where sufficient strength will do, especially lower dps = lower wedging (if/when it is a desirable attribute).

I watched the first video again and deformation was really bad.Same thing in the second test looks prone to deflection.
Do you think higher hardness would improve magnacut resistance to deflection?

I watched the first video again and deformation was really bad.Same thing in the second test looks prone to deflection.
Do you think higher hardness would improve magnacut resistance to deflection?
You are right, prior posting previous/chopper-group video I did noticed magnacut edge was badly deformed (ignoring fractured spots) as well. This latest video confirmed my assessment.
Current sequence on magnacut produces 64-64.5rc hardness. Yes, 65-65.5rc would be stronger = more resistance to deflection. However it still won't be as strong as 66-67rc 4V & V4E, but magnacut is exceptionally corrosion resistance.

Maybe my next sequencing (same variables & values - ...TG18), I will truncate/skip 1/3 # of steps in the middle for a 4" magnacut blade, which should/projection produce 64.5-65.25rc. Of course, giving up disproportional (non-linear) toughness but still more than sufficient toughness remain.

Does 64.5rc Magnacut at 15dps usable - sufficient strength & toughness or excess or lacked of...

Verdict: OK for normal cutting tasks but need more strength when cutting/impacting/sideload against very hard material, especially for very keen edge.

10:29 video

4ppwbyW.jpg

Incredible detailed testing thanks for sharing this.
In my experience those tiny burrs like you show on the magnacut can quickly be corrected with a honing steel for quick edge dressing.
I slowly draw the edge along the steel and feel the bad sports,then the other side and repeat till the edge slides smoothly,usually about 3 times each side.
Not as good as a sharpening but good enough.

As a side note: try watching the chopper test vid set at slow motion,I don't know why but it seems a little more dramatic about
what the edges are going through here.
cheers

Last edited:
Thanks for the sharpening tip. Maybe I slice in a couple clips of chopping at 960fps. Even at that speed, blade movement still a blur but does shows dramatic impact.
Incredible detailed testing thanks for sharing this.
In my experience those tiny burrs like you show on the magnacut can quickly be corrected with a honing steel for quick edge dressing.
I slowly draw the edge along the steel and feel the bad sports,then the other side and repeat till the edge slides smoothly,usually about 3 times each side.
Not as good as a sharpening but good enough.

As a side note: try watching the chopper test vid set at slow motion,I don't know why but it seems a little more dramatic about
what the edges are going through here.
cheers

Time to define what I've been mentioned repeatedly in video: Edge Strength

7:00 video

Edit 21:00:
CPM S60V 66.5rc, 10dps, 0.0055" behind edge thickness

Testing where activities span from sustain to small damages to edge.
Cut: Sisal rope, bamboo chopstick, pork rib bone, power cord Light chop 4x4.

9:00 video

w5J5gZI.jpg

Edit 20211031:
CPM S125V 67.5rc, 10dps, 0.0106" behind edge thickness

Testing where activities span from sustain to small damages to edge.
Cut: Sisal rope, bamboo chopstick, pork rib bone, power cord Light chop 4x4.

12:40 video

AoPUIy1.jpg

Last edited:
CPM S125V 67.5rc, 15dps performed very well in this quest:

High Performance Versatile Knife

Function: versatile
Support wide range of tasks. E.g. cut food, rope,paper,cardboard,wood, etc.
Good corrosion resistance

Form: facilitate function
Good profile, blade & edge geometry, ergonomic
Cut/separated surface (PE vs SE)

Energy: high efficiency
Perform the task with least effort

Use/Maintenance: high ratio
Durable low maintenance edge. Long edge retention, low care time

18:33 video

CPM S125V 67rc, 15dps
Edge geometry: Edge looks compounded because I put a 15dps bevel over the previously tested edge at 7.5dps (straight razor edge chops 2x4 test video).

This video is more of a visual entertainment chopping 2x4 clips at 960fps than learning impact physics. Maybe need 10+K fps to get more details capture of chopping impacts.

3:46 video

I recommend adding protein superfood shakes to your diet :)
I ate popeye spinach then chopped through 2x4 14 times this morning. Stats: 3 @ 9 hits, 6 @ 10 hits, 5 @ 11-12 hits.

I re-watched a few bladesports 2x4 chopping event, low hits (less than 9) often coincided with cracked & piece flew away. Copy their 2 compounded hits opening technique. I did 2 @ 8 hits, 3 @ 9 hits, somehow wood did cracked on my tries.

CPM Rex121, 69.5rc, 15dps
*note: rex121 has moderate corrosion resistant by its composition & microstructure.

High Performance Versatile Knife

Function: versatile
Support wide range of tasks. E.g. cut food, rope,paper,cardboard,wood, etc.
Good corrosion resistance

Form: facilitate function
Good profile, blade & edge geometry, ergonomic
Cut/separated surface (PE vs SE)

Energy: high efficiency
Perform the task with least effort

Use/Maintenance: high ratio

Durable low maintenance edge. Long edge retention, low care time

5:23 video

0TdzMvi.jpg

69.5 hrc is really hard,it even sounded hard when you placed it down at the end of the video.
Rust proof is really important to me because rust can occur right on that polished edge which can result in chipping.
Nice knife

New Sequencing Protocol TF0_OC[32-4_0]_3DTG11 to increase bending strength and perhaps incidental increase hardness by 0 to 2rc (depend on carbon%). Expect/project higher edge stability but when chip/fracture it will be a tad larger in size.

Qk6Vhyx.jpg

This sequencing took 11 days to finished. Prelim tests (s30v, n690, niolox) performed very well as predicted/expected = edge has higher bending strength than previous 2 sequencing. Final hardness is about 1rc lower than peak (as quenched) hardness.

rg8Xn4G.jpg

edit: corrosion test 64rc s30v -

Last edited:
CPM Magnacut 63.5rc, 15dps, ~0.005" behind edge thickness
Test: chop rope, whittle elk antler tip
Result: Passed

7:27 video

Edit: 20220212
CPM 15V 67.5rc, 15dps, ~0.0043" behind edge thickness
Test:
Chop rope, whittle elk antler tip = passed
Whittled 40D nail = micro-chip

0:56 video

5j27omj.jpg

Last edited:
Corrosion Resistance Test - 15V Becut Magnacut N690 Niolox S125V S45VN
6 compounded ocean water sprays over 24 hrs period.

2:07

0OUxRul.jpg

Back