"Heavy Duty" Models

I love the variety of Khukuri out there, but it can also be frustrating unless you have handled enough to get a feel for the differences between them. The website is very descriptive but I am looking for some more experienced feedback.

So, in terms of the more heavy duty choppers without going too long in the blade, what really is the big difference between a Panawal, a Ang Khola Ek Chirra, or the Fort William Mk 1? And even then, is it such a departure from something like a Sirupate?

The blades all being at 13 inches levels the playing field a lot between these 3 blades. Here's some differences in order of importance.

-Panawal/ek chirra can be full tang as standard. Opens up a lot of heavier digging, prying and rougher batoning capabilities. Increases weight by a fair bit and can compromise the potent feel of some rat tail blades. The mk1 has a different handle shape which can be tricky for some people. I think it is better suited to those with larger hands.

-Bevel style: Regardless of performance/standard/HD grind the bevel style of a particular blade will define roughly what category it sits in. Beefier bevel styles have more cutting resistance but can be laterally stiffer in very rough tasks. Panawal beefiest (along with MSI, previous falo, sirupate sort of in here but not quite). EK chirra moderately beefy (similar to HSI, tin, dui chirras). Mk1 least beefy (blended bevel style as with pensioner, mutiny, mini). Our mk1 is the only traditional blade that has this blended bevel style while also being in the kind of weight range and construction for very powerful, heavy chopping. This makes it quite unique in our lineup.

-Blade width: For a given spine thickness a blade with a broader blade width/belly will have a more acute overall grind, giving less cutting resistance. A less broad belly like on the sirupate/panawal provide reduced weight at the front of the blade (often to counteract a thicker, more beatable forwards spine region) while also having increased lateral rigidity in the grind for prying and similar twisting, side-leading tasks.

Take care,
Andrew and the team at Kailash

I recently got an 11" Ek Chirra with the full tang. Honestly, if I were ordering another one, I'd go with the rat tail. It's a great khukuri, don't get me wrong, but the weight of the full tang sot of neutralizes the weight of the forward portion of the blade. I think it'd be a much better chopper as a rat tail where more forward weight would help with deeper penetration in wood, especially hardwood. It's a good all around khukuri, which is why I ordered it, but I think it would've been a better chopper with more forward weight. That's for my uses though, I don't do prying or digging, I'm mostly chopping branches and heavy, scrubby brush that pops up around my mother-in-law's property.

I should be receiving a 13" MK-1 soon (with the default options) and I'm sure it'll perform better for the tasks I need it to accomplish. I don't have a Sirupate or Panawal to compare them with yet but if you go with Andrew's advice, he'll help you configure the best khukuri(s) for your intended needs.

Be careful though, khukuris are addictive. My MK-1 will be my third khukuri, all ordered since last February ;).
Jack

Good feedback.
I've said it a few times before but I feel 11" is the watershed length for full tang khukuris. Bigger than this and the blade has enough heft to maintain presence. Smaller than this and they struggle. At 11" exactly it can go either way depending on the handle material and blade shape. If anyone has their heart set on an 11" full tang blade send me an email. We can discuss specs and potentially add another 50-75g to the blade to help retain balance.

Those responses actually help a lot. I can't say I planned to do any prying or digging. Honestly I didn't even know people did this. I have no idea what I would pry and using a blade to dig where rocks might live just feels a bit wrong too but I'm not a big bushcrafter either (at least not for the moment). Most of what I do is chopping and clearing and it is good to know there is a tipping point in balance (pun not intended) with length vs. tang where you can still have forward weight and the toughness but a proper rat tail is plenty tough for most people so you really can go in circles if you want. The only remaining consideration on that front I would bring up is about how the handles hold up over time. Shrinking scales on a full tang doesn't feel great and I'll always prefer wood on a Khukuri.

Believe me, I get you. I'm looking for 4 and 5 now but my first from Kailash. I don't think I'll ever really know what I like or dislike until I handle/use it and I'll still wonder about the version I didn't get. If anyone else has any experiences, I'd sure like to hear them! I'll be sure to do my part and review what I get and make whatever comparisons I can

Good feedback.
I've said it a few times before but I feel 11" is the watershed length for full tang khukuris. Bigger than this and the blade has enough heft to maintain presence. Smaller than this and they struggle. At 11" exactly it can go either way depending on the handle material and blade shape. If anyone has their heart set on an 11" full tang blade send me an email. We can discuss specs and potentially add another 50-75g to the blade to help retain balance.
On the topic of full tang vs. stick tang; I had another look at the Options section of the website and it says with a micarta wrapped handle, the tang is made beefier than normal. How much could you say this narrows the gap to full tang. I've been taking some advice you and other users have said in other posts and reconsidered what I want a given blade to do. I'm considering that if I want a real workhorse but don't plan to pry or dig, an extra beefy hidden tang with an essentially single piece handle material that won't accept moisture in the wet winters where I live but can handle chopping frozen wood if need be might be the ticket.

Hey there Bill- the tang is a touch beefier than normal but it's not a huge difference. Really with the micarta wrapped handle it is the micarta itself that adds the strength to the rest of the handle. It is strong enough that it reinforces and supports the tang. However the transition at the shoulders is still a weak point for such blades so it's still not well suited for prying or digging. If you don't need to pry or dig then you'll likely get a better knife if you avoid full tang on a khukuri. Rat tail/hidden tang will be strong enough for any hard chopping- we have had zero rat tail tang failures occur from chopping so far.

With my 11" Ek Chirra, along with the full tang, I configured it with micarta scales (for durability and weather resistance) and steel hardware - and I requested steel pins as well. In addition to all that, the Ek Chirra blade has deep full height fullers from the spine edge to the top of the edge bevel, so the blade itself is fairly lightweight. It's pretty much a bomb proof build but it's definitely a lot of handle weight offsetting a fairly lightweight blade for it's size, so the normal forward weight balance that model should have is neutral on my khukuri. My configuration would've worked better with either a 13" blade, or a rat tail with the micarta and steel hardware - probably with both. I ordered the 11" model mostly so it wouldn't feel so huge during belt carry and use, but with the way khukuri are measured (in a straight line from the tip to center of the front edge of the bolster) and with the strong angle break of the spine, a 13" Ek Chirra would've been just fine for carry and use without feeling overly large or heavy.
Jack

edit: the only prying I can realistically see myself doing with a khukuri would be when batoning wood, to pry the pieces apart.

With my 11" Ek Chirra, along with the full tang, I configured it with micarta scales (for durability and weather resistance) and steel hardware - and I requested steel pins as well. In addition to all that, the Ek Chirra blade has deep full height fullers from the spine edge to the top of the edge bevel, so the blade itself is fairly lightweight. It's pretty much a bomb proof build but it's definitely a lot of handle weight offsetting a fairly lightweight blade for it's size, so the normal forward weight balance that model should have is neutral on my khukuri. My configuration would've worked better with either a 13" blade, or a rat tail with the micarta and steel hardware - probably with both. I ordered the 11" model mostly so it wouldn't feel so huge during belt carry and use, but with the way khukuri are measured (in a straight line from the tip to center of the front edge of the bolster) and with the strong angle break of the spine, a 13" Ek Chirra would've been just fine for carry and use without feeling overly large or heavy.
Jack

edit: the only prying I can realistically see myself doing with a khukuri would be when batoning wood, to pry the pieces apart.
Yeh regarding the "prying" thing with khukuris , I dont really get it and is something I wouldnt really attempt unless I really had to. you can buy mini prying bars from most hardware companies even here in the UK

I've been looking at my mom's yard and there's a huge honeysuckle bush in front of the big window in front of her house. The base of the bush is easily 10" across with several smaller "trunks" of 1" to 2" growing out of it and an estimated height of 10 feet, maybe 15 feet across the canopy. I'm going to have to remove the whole thing soon so I'll be cutting it back with saws and a khukuri (or three), digging around the roots with a mattock and ripping out the root ball with a heavy chain and my 4×4 truck (that's a Ute Andrew! 😁). I'm sure it'll involve some ground level chopping and hacking through the roots while I've got tension on the chain with my truck. I expect some edge dings on the khukuri but I should be able to repair and sharpen the edges with my axe pucks, Fallkniven DC-4 and possibly my Spyderco stones.

I'm preparing myself for a full day of suck lol.
Jack

I love my two Khukuri but sometimes you just reach for a sawzall. I'll bet the folks living and working around Napal do use theirs for digging when needed. I'll bet the concept of an all around knife really applies there. I made a 7.5" full tang knife years ago from spring stock and used it for digging whenever the need arose. I don't plan on digging with a Khukuri though, but some folks might.

I love my two Khukuri but sometimes you just reach for a sawzall. I'll bet the folks living and working around Napal do use theirs for digging when needed. I'll bet the concept of an all around knife really applies there. I made a 7.5" full tang knife years ago from spring stock and used it for digging whenever the need arose. I don't plan on digging with a Khukuri though, but some folks might.
Definitely, I've got a DeWalt saw with six 20v batteries that'll take out the bulk of the bush so I can get to the base and roots. I'm mostly concerned with digging out enough of the root system that it doesn't grow back... like the rose bush I've been trying to get rid of for the last 40 years. Seriously, 40 years and it keeps coming back!

Absolutely no disagreement on the sawzall. Sometimes you're really just better off with the 12" wood blade especially if you need to do trimming that won't wreck a tree you want to keep. There's always a proper tool for a job. Khukuri fit the bill where batteries can't be charged or carried in and I'd still not recommend someone get a khukuki for what even a manual saw should be used for.

To me, they're a bit of a multi-tool/compromise. I fell in love with them while hunting and needing to clear firing lanes and build ground blinds but couldn't carry a proper machete, saw and axe. I tried using an Ontario 16" GI style machete based on reviews I saw and let's just say it couldn't do really anything I needed of it. My 10" (measured as Kailash does) khukuri does far more than that blunt machete like thing ever could without considerable reworking and rehandling.

I do not yet own a Kailash made Khukuri but as of around 10min before typing this, I have made my first order and look forward to not only trying them out but also doing a review that with any luck will answer questions current and future buyers might have.

Absolutely no disagreement on the sawzall. Sometimes you're really just better off with the 12" wood blade especially if you need to do trimming that won't wreck a tree you want to keep. There's always a proper tool for a job. Khukuri fit the bill where batteries can't be charged or carried in and I'd still not recommend someone get a khukuki for what even a manual saw should be used for.

To me, they're a bit of a multi-tool/compromise. I fell in love with them while hunting and needing to clear firing lanes and build ground blinds but couldn't carry a proper machete, saw and axe. I tried using an Ontario 16" GI style machete based on reviews I saw and let's just say it couldn't do really anything I needed of it. My 10" (measured as Kailash does) khukuri does far more than that blunt machete like thing ever could without considerable reworking and rehandling.

I do not yet own a Kailash made Khukuri but as of around 10min before typing this, I have made my first order and look forward to not only trying them out but also doing a review that with any luck will answer questions current and future buyers might have.
Congratulations on your order, you're going to love it. Did you go with the Sirupate or choose a different model?
Jack

Good discussion guys :)
To extend the Heavy Duty discussion a little further:
I find myself prying semi frequently but never digging.
-Most commonly would be when trying to crack apart stubborn logs that are still stuck together after splitting.
-Also breaking down junk furniture for use as firewood. Hacking into a glued joint to open it up then twisting and prying to pop it or pull out any associated nails and fasteners- this can be quite intense loading on a blade.

A rat tail can do some of this work and you can isolate the shoulders of the tang (danger zone) by levering with the ricasso and bolster area rather than the actual handle. This limits overall leverage and also the depth at which you can pry things. I wouldn't really recommend prying with rat tails to others though as I feel like I have a pretty good gauge for what a rat tail can/can't take that others likely don't have. It's pretty risky, low reward business in that case.

I have done some very, very hard prying with my regent long knife and have bent the blades before the tang has come to any grief. This is to be expected due to the differential hardening process and softer spines and bodies similar to katanas. They can be bent back just as easily and are still plugging along fine many years later. A while back we instructed a customer to destroy a faulty regent bowie as part of a warranty process. He bent the blade to 90 degrees in both directions around a dozen times before finally cracking the knife. A fully hardened and tempered blade will have a higher amount of lateral stress it can take before it is likely to deform permanently, however that deformation is much more likely to be a sudden and catastrophic fracture. I feel that potentially there is value in a hard use survival knife for it to give you a warning short with easily mendable results before you overdo it. In chopping (vertical loads) the blade has a large enough section that bending under load is not a risk. In this application the reduced strain in the steel produces a blade with higher resistance to shock without any negatives I can think of.

Blades with thicker cross sections are a lot stiffer when prying and so are able to transfer more force into their target before taking on a bend. This is where the higher spine/grind thickness (even at belly) of the panawal, msi, scourge,falo and to a degree sirupate, HSI and angkhola come into play. They are much better at resisting such side loads than a m43 martial, regent bowie, mutiny or salyani (thick bolster but thinner forward spine region) for example. Shorter blades apply less leverage more safely and typically have less distal taper so are a bit tougher for prying.

The final heavy duty point of discussion is batoning. While this is a theoretically vertical load, in practicality it's easy for the force to come down at an angle, the blade to twist and for high lateral forces similar to prying to occur so thicker spines are safer. In batoning deep, narrow fullering is a risk factor. If you look at the blades cross section the fullering is a localised narrow section which is a lot weaker and more prone to bending than the rest of the blade. It's also located in an area of soft steel that's up near the spine being struck and so is more prone to bending under batoning than say the edge under chopping which is harder and less likely to yield. As a result Mutiny, salyani and pensioner have enhanced risk in these scenarios despite more moderate spine thicknesses. Light batoning should be fine for them though. Tin chirra are thick enough that it isn't such a concern. EK chirra is broad enough that the force isn't that localised. Dui chirra is a little of both.

Take care,

Brace yourselves because I have a dumb contribution to make.

I was thinking about the whole digging aspect and.. wouldn't a pointless kukri (tipless but pointless might be more fitting a term) blade be better at this? You get more surface area but lose out on the stabby stabby. I haven't seen any like this which probably means it's not at all desireable. But I don't hate the look as much as I thought I would, even though it's still an abomination. I imagine it would still be fairly 'meh' for digging because the handle isn't in an optimal place for a shoveling motion, but maybe if you were out hiking and wanted a chopping tool for some reason, this could double as a cathole digger too. Or a more general purpose rough gardening tool. It isn't clear from my crappy edit where the 'blade' would and and how thick you'd want the spine to be at the end, presumably somewhat thick for the prying aspect (the increased weight of which makes it a little less ideal for that hiking scenario).

IwFE4Vi.jpeg

Anyway cursed image, enjoy. I suppose there are the occasional 'modern' or 'tactical' looking kurki styles that have somewhat square/flattish ends, but I think most of those are fairly thin at the tip, not sure.

I love the photoshop!
I think you're absolutely right though- a blade with a more "spade like" tip with an edge along the end would have much better durability for such tasks and be more effective at scooping in all but the hardest soils. Many moons ago I put a squared off tip that was about 1.5cm wide on the end of my original scourge. It's a very tough and rough use khukuri (particularly this khhi era prototype which is stouter with worse geometry) so it's well suited to digging, prying, demolition etc moreso than cutting really. The squared off tip is much better supported than a tip and so is good for jamming between objects to pry as well as standing up to impacts into hard materials. I stabbed through a washing machine a few times with it and was happy with both the penetration and durability. A sharpened 1.5cm edge portion is still putting a lot of force on a small area so it penetrated pretty well.

With this said though optimising blades for digging and similar tasks is not an appealing design proposal. Creating a stouter tip than penetrates worse, a spine that can stand up to large sideways loads and an edge that can handle hard dings into rocks is a recipe for both a good shovel and a poor knife. They're almost at complete opposite ends in terms of design features so it's hard to find a compromise which isn't disappointing. We've had a few enquiries for such blades- often as One-Tool-Option apocalypse survival blades etc but I generally try and steer people towards an entrenching tool alongside a khukuri for a higher performance package overall. If One-Tool is strictly necessary then I suggest people optimise for the more critical task. Depending on your use case the more critical task is sometimes a rarely occurring/make-or-break/life threatening scenario but it's often the task that the tool is going to be used most often for. After all if a tool is 50% worse at cutting (a task you use it for 95% of the time) then you're going to be less effective in a survival situation (or general recreational use) than being 50% better at digging (a task you use it for 5% of the time).

I've recently seen some people quite quickly carve large digging sticks that are essentially picks/crowbars for breaking up and ploughing the soil. Material can then be removed afterwards by hand. This will do just as good a job if not much better than an optimised khukuri. Anything beyond this and a shovel is what you need and a khukuri won't fill that role while retaining any usability.

Take care,

All good points, which somewhat remind me of multitools getting swapped out for a SAK+knipex combo. There's probably some interesting psychological reason why we're drawn to a 'one perfect tool' ideal. But that often leads to inferior solutions or straight up impractical gimmicks.

Congratulations on your order, you're going to love it. Did you go with the Sirupate or choose a different model?
Jack
Yes, ha ha. Without getting too far off the heavy chopper topic, here we go!

I got a 14" Sirupate, rat tail tang with a rosewood handle and a 13" Mk1 both with a standard grind (I don't need the HD and I'm skeptical of the HP). I'm really looking forward to pitting these two against each other since they both seem to be decent "all rounder" choices but come at it from different sides. I'm only now wondering if I should have instead gone with the raw finish for the Siru but it's too late now and I'm going to waffle on it no matter what.

Now, even after Andrew addressing multiple questions I have had (thank you!), I still went with the opposite of what I hand intended and this was purely for cost reasons. 2 blades at once is expensive and after totaling up the full tang with the micarta and the non-standard sheath, it was getting to be a bit much for one blade that I was only guessing that I would like for what I wanted. This way, I can get two on the ends but not too far away on the spectrum I am looking at and test them out before going into what I think would be - for me - my ideal theoretical all purpose blade which is as follows:

A 14" Sirupate with a raw finish because I love the look and it is a very durable finish that does indeed hold oil. A micarta handle, brass fittings (maybe steel?) and a full tang just because you never know. Not to mention that micarta, they won't shrink and reveal the edge of the tang, the potential for which is a fairly large concern of mine. I still do not believe I will do a lot of prying but, an all-rounder may have to do some of those thing at the farther end of the curve and 100g (.22lbs) isn't too bad for what could be gained. I also trust Andrew who has stated the 14" retains enough forward weight. This is to address light brush and moderately thick branches, saplings for yard work, hiking, hunting, camping without a ton of serious bush-craft.

The only thing that still makes me question the choice is the tang: I love the feel of a rat tail handle on a Khukuri generally and in use better than a full tang and it sounds like a rat tail wrapped in micarta, even if it is not properly pressed micarta could be that wonderful middle ground in that whole debate. I could be completely wrong-headed about that though.

(EDITED to clean up the sentences).

Last edited:
Back