hello out there...........

not much going on in the REKAT forum lately is there........?? come on lets talk REKAT knives .......

sifu?

I'm not sure if Rekat even exists anymore. When I have tried to go to their website the past few weeks I get a SERVER NOT FOUND error. Perhaps I have the wrong URL http://www.rekat.com

They have made (or continue to make if still around) some great stuff. My Carnie, Carnie Cub, and Pikunis are all GREAT!!

Sorry to say that I've been staying away from here in part due to time and in part due to desire.

I still have my 3 favorite REKAT's (Pioneer II, Carni and Carni Cub) and they are still tops on my list for hard use folders.

I'm just concerned about REKAT's future. There are so many great design possibilities with a lock like the Rolling Lock but nothing new and interesting is going on with them. I've had concerns for quite some time about their future.

Maybe they're working on a deal with someone to buy out the rights to their technology?

One word of advice I could give REKAT would be marketing, marketing marketing. Sure their QC has been down but look at Benchmade, they're winning awards and their QC is just as bad.

Good observation, cpirtle!.:). I've been wondering what's been happening with my favorite knife maker, myself... I haven't seen ANYTHING of the two REKAT "moderators", and the REKAT web-site is STILL not working.

It kind of feels like being on a roller-coaster ride that's flying off the top of the track.:(.

WHAT'S GOING ON HERE???

I'll agree it seems that not much is happening here. It is very sad really, REKAT produces some really cool knives. The SIFU being the coolest, with the Carnivor comming into a close second. The rolling lock is one of my favorites.

I agree that advertising is somewhat non-existant. I hope the company is just reorganizing or preparing for some new designs. It would be a shame if such fine products disappeared.:confused:

Darn! I'd kinda stopped watching this forum, and missed Bob Taylor's only post in 10 months a couple weeks ago.

Christina Montero hasn't posted since the first week in February, had a total of 18 posts when she dropped out. Bob Brothers is the only one acting like a moderator or customer service provider.

Sure get spoiled by Sal Glesser!

Maybe we ought to suggest that Sal Glesser buy REKAT! If that happened, I bet a lot of GOOD things could result. :)

Karl

P.S. In the absence of hard input, speculation shall have to suffice!

When this forum was more active, it seemed like it should have been called the REKAT repair forum. I believe their quality control problems have driven potential customers to greener pastures.

I realize REKAT has received good scores by correcting problems when they have occurred, but always, it seemed, after the customer discovered the problem. That is not good.

I drive Honda's because they have never given me problems. It is not necessary to bring them to the dealership for warranty repairs.

I agree with the QC problems whole heartedly. REKAT's are not for every one.

I liken them to the AMC Javelin.... hear me out.

The car looked great, was built like a tank, but you had to be willing to do some work on it yourself to get a good product.

I have never used REKAT service but have had to do some minor mod's to almost all of mine.

I actually had written down Spyderco as a possible buyer to wish for but decided to remove it at the last minute. Some others that come to mind would be SOG, Microtech and MOD. With the latter 2, I love their products but swore off liner locks so the only product I have from either is a CQD MKII.

With SOG, I think people either love them or hate them but it's hard to dispute their QC and customer service. They also have quite a marketing plan. I personally like every SOG I've owned.

IF REKAT WERE for sale, and IF Spyderco WERE to buy REKAT, that would be SO COOL!! The REKAT "Quality Control" would improve by at least 99%, and REKAT's BladeForums participation would increase by 100%.

...And imagine a Sifu with a "spyder-hole"...WOW!.:eek:.

Exactly my wishes, Dann! Although the Sifu's regular studs aren't too bad compared to some folders, I just think it would be the neatest thing in the world.

I really hope REKAT gets it act together, one way or another.

Karl

Waaaah!

Waah!

Waaaaaaaaaah!

Be Happy!:D

My Hobbit Warrior is still alive and sticking!:D :D

and the HW trainer is getting a good workout regularly.

Might even have to snag another pair (HW &HWT) for #1 son to use.

Or maybe a Pygmy Warrior.................

Hint-Hint:eek:

I spoke with Christina at REKAT each of the last three days. Didn't occur to me at the time to ask if they were still in business.
I'd like to pass on my admiration for their customer service and since some have recently bemoaned the light activity on this forum I will also pass on my recent experience with them.
Not long ago I converted my carnie to a tip down position by putting the clip on the pivot screw but between recreational flicking and pocket carry the screw kept coming loose and finally I put some lock-tite on it. About a month later I was getting wiggle in my clip again so I was going to lock tite again but when I unscrewed it the srew and the pivot sleeve came all the way out. It hadn't occured to me that I should have lock-tited the screws on both sides of the pivot. the screw on the side away from the clip was coming loose and the screw on the clip side that I had lock-tited was still bonded to the pivot sleeve. My problem came when I could not get the sleeve to re-insert in the pivot hole. So I called REKAT(yes, there is a customer service story in here some where).Christina said that there wasn't anyone there at that moment to give me an answer, she took my number and said she'd call me(heard that before!) so I went back to working.10 mins later Christina calls me back long distance on there nickel and tells me I can send it to Bob Brothers with $3 for return postage or if I have the right allen wrench(I do) then you can just take off the scale and the liner on the clip side and should then be able to get the pivot sleeve back in no problem.If I can't get it or of I run in to another problem just give another call. Oh, and she said that Bob suggested NOT disassembling the scale and liner on
the lock slide side because it can be tricky getting that spring back in.Sounded good to me, I'm all for being given the go ahead straight from the manufacturer to disassemble their product. So I did and got a chance not only to give a good cleaning and oiling but also to appreciate the strength and simplicity of this knife and of the rolling lock. I put it all back together when I was done playing and my clip was secure the way I wanted it and I was a happy camper and I thought that was the end of the story.
But the next day Christina at REKAT called me back mid morning. I was pretty surprised to see Round Eye come up on my caller ID. She hadn't heard back from me yesterday so she was just calling to make sure that everything turned out OK! WOW! I thought. Well, since you called me I threw a couple of questions at her that I'd been wondering about, one of which was about the Talonite carnie that I'd read about here on the Forums. She said oh yeah I think we have one of those left around here and sure enough she found it. She had to ask Bob Taylor the price on it and it was pretty spendy so I had to tell her I would think about it. That night(actually last night) I found a thread were Rob Simonich says that there were only 96 talonite carnies made in that project and Pat crawford got 30 and REKAT got 33 and Rob got 33 and he says that HE DID ALL THE "BLADE WORK" on the REKAT Talonite carnies. Well, that did it for me. The Carnivore is the perfect defensive EDC for my likes and needs and to have one in talonite ground by Rob Simonich was just to good to pass up. So I called Christina at REKAT thurs am and bought the talonite carnie, should be here in a couple days cause Utah,Idaho, we're like this.
So customer service lesson of the day is follow through with customers to make good and sure that they are satisfied cause you just might sell that last very expensive knife that has been sitting around for a year or more. THANKS REKAT for the wonderful support and customer service! I'll bet you can see me smiling right through this computer, can't you?

utmts4me -- welcome to the forums! Great first post, and happily it contains some welcome news.

It is great to learn that the customer service isn't missing a beat. However, it is a bit disconcerting to have the President of a company answering the phone, and to say she's alone in the place. Of course, we know that Bob Brothers is in Washington, not Idaho.

It may just be summer vacations that are causing the worrisome details that are prompting the concerns about the status of the company. But as someone just wrote on a new thread, it sure would be great to have someone from the company post that the rumors/worries whatever are based on BS and that everything is fine.

Hi All,
I think what we all have to keep in mind is that REKAT is a small company. They are not Spyderco or Buck and that sort of company. They are a small developmental product type company. How many companys have been as creative recently in new knife design. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of innovative knife companys out there. Most of them are MUCH larger and more liquid than REKAT could hope to be. I find it hard to belive how much great stuff they have come out with in such a short time! They have their Q.C. concerns, but they handle that with such great customer service, how can you not love it. Let's wait and see. I hope for a looong life for REKAT!!!!!!!

I really like REKAT's knives, but it would still be nice to see them at their forum once in a while. I know they're a small company but even 15 minutes a day would be enough to keep up and let us know they're still alive.

They did recently release the Savant, anyone have one yet? I'm surprised not to hear anything about them.

And if REKAT's not going to put up a new website, at least not anytime soon, they may as well leave the old one up, rather than making us sneak in through the back door. I'm sure they're missing a lot of customers who try to go to the site and find nothing there.

Oh, I don't know if I want Spyderco buying REKAT, just because REKAT specializes in fighting knives and Spyderco doesn't have the balls to come out with a megafolder. I'd sooner hire Sal to moderate the REKAT forum than let Spyderco control the future of knives like the Sifu and PH, which are almost as non-PC as you can get.

Back