Hello & Survive! Knife mods

I would think that a length of emery paper would work for this. The stuff that comes like an inch wide in rolls and different grits. We keep it for work here around the shop and it's very handy. You can wrap up a bit of money on it though, so you might accomplish the same thing by buying a multi-pak of emery paper like they use on automobiles and available at place like NAPA or Schucks, and then cut about an inch strip off of the sheet as you need. Sometimes you can get a pack that has 400 through 1500 grit or something. Just a thought.

ETA: This stuff in sheet form also works great with a mouse pad for convexing edges.

Last edited:
Emery paper would work great, sandpaper would work great, Sharpmaker rods would work great. I'm getting ready to soften the edges on my new-spec 5.1, and probably the 4.7 second when it ships. Machining the blanks works great but the precision means you're left with perfect 90 degree angles on the edges which make a very uncomfortable choil.

Ps ... Chiral, Silver....

Did the round over affect the peened finish much ?? it's hard for me to tell from the pics

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips, guys!

I searched online for stores near me and some carry 3M emery cloth. Is that it?

Did the round over affect the peened finish much ?? it's hard for me to tell from the pics

The corners that I ground down don't have the peened finish on any longer and in the last pic you can see how I messed up the inside of the grooves, that region is really where I want to smooth out the unintentionally scoring I did.

Personally I wouldn't do this same thing to my cruforge because it would absolutely mess up the coating, make it noticeably more ugly and expose the corrosion-prone steal underneath.

I know I brought down the sexy factor on mine with this mod, but WOW does it feel more comfortable!

Thanks for the tips, guys!

I searched online for stores near me and some carry 3M emery cloth. Is that it?

That should be it, and 3M makes a good product. The reason I recommended the emery cloth rather than regular sandpaper is that it's backed better. Hence the 'cloth' and 'paper.' The emery cloth will take the folding and/or conforming to corners or radiuses better, and not that you would use water in this situation, but emery cloth can be used wet where that usually destroys most sandpapers.

The stone I used left dust in the coarse scratch-pattern that blends it in with the surrounding peened finish. I have no doubt that a thorough polishing would draw more attention to the mod, but as it is you can barely tell that it wasn't like that from Guy. *shrug* YMMV

Silver, nice work making it your knife :thumbup: It's a tool, your tool, and doing what you need to do to make it work right for you is +1

Regarding emery cloth, I'd advise folk to try a solid hone first as that will be more durable. Not that emery won't work, but my own experience is that ham-fisted efforts (me) result in wasted abrasive - the SiC carbides are just embedded in the cloth and can be worn-down/stripped relatively easily, whereas a SiC stone or ceramic rod can be used essentially as a file to make quick work of the offending corners. Again, YMMV

Last edited:
CG, I think Silver's down to trying to reach some spots the hone won't go.

Oh, in that case, I think HK is spot on. Also emery is a better choice for polishing... Another option to reach inside the jimp-grooves is one of those tapered diamond rods...

Looking at the picture, I'll bet if a guy could tape off the blade, but leave the spine exposed, a quick shot in a bead-blaster might blend it in with the rest of the finish. That would definitely take care of the scratches down in the grooves.

Great information, guys! Getting in the grooves to fix the unintentional scratching is my main concern. I'd rather not take it too out of character by making it super shiny, but at this point my main concern is corrosion rather than looking good.

Someday, maybe I could sweet talk Guy into a little repeening action on the spine.

Someday, maybe I could sweet talk Guy into a little repeening action on the spine.

^^^That's a good idea... That shine is what I wouldn't want either, this is one reason I prefer the old finish. While I think the new one is better presentation quality, the stone wash, I feel is more user/mod friendly. I'm going to experiment with some tumbling, to see if I can reproduce that stonewash, but it would be nice to know if in a situation like yours, can it be sent back and refinished.

Good on ya, for stepin out and takin it in hand so to speak. I couldn't bring myself to mess with that 4.1 till I had a back up. [emoji15]

Chiral is a modding madman, that's all there is to that [emoji57]

Can you wrap a piece of emery paper around a small gage wire (like 1/16" weld filler rod) and use it as a small round file to get into the groves?

Can you wrap a piece of emery paper around a small gage wire (like 1/16" weld filler rod) and use it as a small round file to get into the groves?

The cloth/paper itself is thick/stiff enough that just folding it will do the trick, no wire needed for such a narrow space. Another option is to use a Dremel with wire-brush or steel-wool attachment to clean up the scratches, although the latter will also polish the tops of the 'plateaus'...

Having not handled the emery cloth before I wasn't sure how stiff it would be. I'll definitely remember the wire idea if I can't get it stiff enough.........

Which has never been a problem for me before.

Last edited:
Back