Help identify an old Schrade

I have an older Schrade pocket knife with Schrade /Cut Co /Walden NY stamped on the Tang. It looks like a model 242 but it is only 3 inches long instead of 3 1/8". The scales have no badge and are black plastic with an odd raised pattern that could be imitation stag . Can you help with a model number and age?

Thanks.

Thank you.
I had looked at those catalogues and found my knife looks identical to the model 2423 found on page 33 of the 1926 catalogue (pg 28 of the pdf).

http://www.collectors-of-schrades-r.us/Catalogs/images/1926_Schrade_Catalogs.pdf

The catalogues for the available years say the 242's are 3 1/8" while my Schrade is only 3" and it has unusual plastic scales with no shield.
The tang stamps indicate my knife was made 1917 - 1947 so perhaps it is an earlier year than the available catalogues,
or it's a Franken-knife???

Last edited:
Sometimes you have to use a little imagination to squeeze that last 1/8 of an inch out of a knife, and variations in covers and presence of shields are commonly seen but not necessarily found in catalogs. Also, there are so many knives in the original catalog and the supplements that it is easy to overlook one. Your knife is probably quite legitimate.

Back