HELP: Just got my new ZT0562cf. Questions about it.

Hi,

I Just opened my new ZT0562cf flipper and I have a 2 initial questions:

1. I was surprised at how hard I need to press on the flipper to get the blade to deploy. Way harder that my ZT0301. Is this normal? Will it get easier with use? :confused: I guess it's better to have it not flip open in your pocket....:eek:

2. I have read a lot about % degree of blade lockup. I am not sure what's good... VS what's not so good.
Below is a picture of my new blade in locked position.... Does it look like a good lockup?:confused:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/60uy1syc710sw3w/ZT0562cf.jpg?dl=0

Thanks!

Lock up is fine, mine opens pretty easy. My 0452 is hard and flies open hard, too. Both are about the same as when new. You'll probably get used to it, if you use it awhile.

Make sure your fingers are not resting on the lock bar when you open the knife. All it takes is a tiny bit of pressure to make it go from flying open to feeling nearly stuck.

I got my 0562CF last week. First impression was that the detent was to hard. I kept it on my desk and flipped it maybe 30 times over the course of a day. It is now perfect!

Regarding the lockup, you are fine. Mine looks just like yours. You don't want it too early as nof having enough engagement or to late as wearing to soon and have blade play later on the life of the knife.

Early lockups is a stupid fad. You want good engagement. With modern materials and in this knife's case, lock bar inserts, you shouldn't worry about lockup interface wear (either on the bar or on the blade).

I would think that it needs some breaking in. Your lock up looks fine, and will probably settle in a little more which is also fine.

I would think that it needs some breaking in. Your lock up looks fine, and will probably settle in a little more which is also fine.

Yep. New knives are, well...new. There is some break in time involved. Surfaces need to mate properly and time is your friend. Also, the 0562 is not assisted, so expextations of the knife flying open are a bit unrealistic. Allow some time for the knife to settle into where it locks, and how it works.

I talked to a local knife vendor, little brick and mortar place, and he said that this seems to be the direction ZT is taking their knives. Very stiff detent. I got a 0452CF not long ago and it was tough to open. The main thing to remember is to make sure your fingers aren't resting on the lock bar which is easy for me because I'm a lefty. Another thing I'll mention is when pulling on the flipper tab, I use almost a sideways pull. This is hard to write out without showing but I'll do my best. Engaging the flipper for me takes more effort to overcome that stiff detent so what I do is use more of a sideways motion where the inside face of my index finger (facing my thumb) is sliding down the back of the knife/flipper face.That sideways motion allows me a bit more strength to transfer from my finger to the flipper for some reason. I know this probably makes no sense in text form but I'm able to get a crisp, clean opening with the heavy and stiff detent. Hope this helps (probably doesn't).

Oh and your lock up looks just fine. It's early, which a lot of people like, but it appears the stainless lock face insert is making positive connection to the tang. You should have a nice, strong lock up with no play in either direction.

Edit for further clarification.

My 0562 was the same way. It's new so everything is stiff. Play with it, flip it, us it. When you flip it dont be gentle. That knife is like a shotgun, rack it hard, flip it hard.

The lock up on this knife looks absolutely perfect to me. Same as most of the others we have come through the shop. As for the detent, I am sure it is strong, but they are never break your finger strong. It is all in the technique. With all the ZT knives I have personally inspected before being shipped out, I have never had one that was too tight of a detent. It is all in technique. We even took the time to make a poor quality video about it. Hopefully it might help.

You bought an awesome knife, hope you will work with it and enjoy it. You will not be sorry once you get the technique right!

[video=youtube;zalbnsF1itA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zalbnsF1itA[/video]

Back