HELP... Looking for a new gun

The steel frame Walther PDP match gives me tingles. Much want.

A nice .22 is always fun and something my son and I shoot the most of when we are at our range. A Ruger Mark IV target or threaded barrel if you have a can. S&W model 41 is what I like the best but have both.

If you’re a Glock guy the gen five Glocks with the performance trigger upgrade really set them apart from the older gen’s.

I nice .357 revolver, S&W, Colt, or Kimber so you can practice a lot with cheaper .38’s. My son can handle shooting 100+ .38 wadcutters in a session so that’s what we do. Chiappa is another interesting revolver.

My most recent gun and now I don’t know why I waited so long to get is a Staccato P 2011. The double stack 9mm’s shoot so well with the single action triggers. You can find deals on barely used models and save a lot of money. Or you can go crazy and spend upwards of 10k on one.

IMG_1397_Original.jpeg

Long guns don’t pull my trigger as much as they use to. Even though I have a lot of them. My most recent is the Ruger/Marlin in .45-70 and I think everyone should own one of these.

The next gun on my list, when I can find one is a lever action in .357 that I can go all tactical on.

Here is a pic of my usual range load out.

IMG_1486.jpeg

Also if you have land you may want to just invest in some steel targets. That’s what I did last summer and $1000 can buy quite a few targets. It’s a lot more fun to hear your shots when you’re at the range.

IMG_1490.png

Another option if you don’t have any is to invest in some nice red dots. If your guns can accept them. If not maybe a new pistol that is cut for one. Trijicon and Holosuns are both good. Think I have 7 pistols now with red dots on them and it makes it hard for me to want to shoot my other guns without them.

IMG_1396_Original.jpeg

And as usual a gun recommendation wouldn’t be complete without saying get an AR. I’m sure you have one but nobody can have just one…

Last edited:
If you’re just looking for cool and fun, I think the Mossberg Shockwave fits the bill.

How does everyone like the Kimber 357? I have been thinking about replacing my bedside pistol? I like crimson trace for the house in the dark.

The TS12 Tavor was a little more finicky with ammunition than I like. I will probably sell mine soon. Will stick to my Mossberg 930 and Benelli M4.

The KSG is amazing fun with the 1.75in shells. Doubles your ammunition and takes recoil down to almost nothing.

I would recommend you looking at an old school Mannlicher Schoenauer Zephyr, 22 bolt action….just so much fun to shoot and sublime accuracy at long range due to the nice rifling, matching the quality of the Mannlicher schoenauer 1950’s era pieces which became allowable sales by Germany after WWll ended…

Some old Finnish Mosins M27s or M39s are always fun. Punching holes in armor with those x54s.

adluginb adluginb , which Glock triggers would you recommend?

Well, if you haven't had one (or four) yet, what about the good old Ruger P95? Perhaps not for fancy and flare, but rather for function and fun?

If bored, one could even conduct an experiment to see how many rounds would have to be shot for the metal slide on polymer rail design to fail (in an appropriate, controlled, and safe environment, of course). I've not heard of anyone accomplishing that yet. Some view them negatively due to their dimensions and weight, but I think they're relatively inexpensive, potentially life-saving, fun to shoot, functional works of engineering art.

I picked up a 1957 Browning Auto 5 Light 12 about a year ago. It's shows honest wear from a lifetime of well maintained use. I don't think it's ever seen the inside of a safe or missed a hunting season. It's one of my favorite guns, a true work of art. I have shot it back to back with a very nice Benelli M2 setup for 3 Gun and the Auto 5 is more fun. You can still find nice Belgium Made examples for under $1,000.

It is getting closer to spring around here and I'm getting the urge to hit the range. Just not sure what I want. Anybody seen anything new and exciting in the gun world? Don't really have anything specific in mind, could be a handgun or a long gun. Just looking for ideas. Doesn't necessarily have to be something new on the market, just something I don't have. Got any recommendations?

Pics are a plus if you have them.

Thanks Everyone,

Garth
Forget the gun and buy ammo instead. The more you shoot the more fun you will have.

N2s

My thoughts are, if someone made it, you'd already have it Garth. Build it or have it built.
I've got a couple wildcats I had built, nothing radical. First one was 22-250 Ackley Imp - stupid me chose a #9 contour barrel (need a sherpa to carry it). Last one a 6.5X47 Lapua, badass hotrod if you geek out on reloading. Mainly I wanted something that would be better in wind and punch factor, for coyotes around here. I dusted a yote with the 250 off the deck but it wasn't 75 yards. Blew him flat over instantly not a wigle, turned his insides to jelly -but it's primary is cutting chucks in half.

I'm concerned though, this indecision? unsure of one's path as a certified gun junky? Never heard of this condition, no idea it was even possible....if I can help, give me your wallet, I'll go shopping and surprise you :D

I picked up a 1957 Browning Auto 5 Light 12 about a year ago. It's shows honest wear from a lifetime of well maintained use. I don't think it's ever seen the inside of a safe or missed a hunting season. It's one of my favorite guns, a true work of art. I have shot it back to back with a very nice Benelli M2 setup for 3 Gun and the Auto 5 is more fun. You can still find nice Belgium Made examples for under $1,000.
Very nice! YOu got a real A5! Once upon a time I had a Remington MDL 11, the copy. Tell ya what, it shot anything all day long because it wasn't gas operated. I kick my ass for letting it go. Made up for it with a 60's era Rem 1100 exactly like the one my dad had when I started hunting, about 6yr old.
Those A5's were built to live forever with a flawless operating system. But my dream is a Benelli SBE, another flawless, shoot anything reliable.

IDK Garth, maybe, the opposite is actually true here.... You need to have a garage sale and let some go - LMK the date ;)

Also a big fan of old school CZs.

How do you feel about this? lol

6kKvLoZ.jpg

5xRDBz2.jpg

FAJ7098.jpg

or7tDSX.jpg

FVr1brH.jpg

If you don’t have a Springfield M1A SOCOM in your collection that is a hole you should definitely fill. Put mine in a Sage International chassis. Nothing like a heavy battle rifle that can throw some real lead down range.

WA state just implemented some fairly restrictive new criteria. It’s actually been fun, reconsidering things that have been on my back burner for ages. Top of my list currently are the Savage 1907 and 1917, Winchester model 63, Winchester model 88, and Ruger model 44 and Deerfield carbines. Oh and the ZKM/BRNO model 611 of course.

Your post brings back great memories! Winchester Model 63 is the rifle I learned to shoot on. Such a classy little .22—timeless beauty. My mom’s deer rifle was a Win M100—the semi-auto version of the M88—in .284 Win. Deadly round in a fast-handling package, perfect for the south Texas brush country we hunted when I was a kid. And the genius of the Ruger M44 is born out by what those old guns bring on today’s market—I’ve always wanted one.

Last edited:
Back