Help me decide, Victorinox Farmer vs. Pioneer vs. Cadet

Much as I like multiple tools I still have to consider weight, size and convenience (knife lives and wears out my pants pockets). For 20 years I carried the 83mm version of the Spartan (would this be the Tinker?) but couldn't get hold of them anymore and had to switch to the larger Spartan. Every now and again I think a saw or some other occasional use/frivolous thing might be handy but I've gone 48 years without, so far, and have no complaints. The pliers issue was solved many years ago via carrying a modified Bahco 221D mini-pliers in my other pants pocket.

Could someone post size/comparison pics of the two? (Huntsman/Farmer),Sorry if I should have started another thread, no intent on hijack meant.

Is the Farmer too much in the pocket?
There again experience is the only answer. Everything is a trade-off of convenience' against 'wanna have'. I'd have a locking blade and a mountain of gizmos and tools on a pocket knife but time (50 years, and I'm a tradesman) does evolve your way of thinking. Sawblade/magnifying glass/nail file/USB stick, hello?
Beauty of SAKs is you can change your mind and try out other versions without having to visit with the bank.

Is the Farmer too much in the pocket?

like 300six said, its purely personal
for ME, i dont like it in my pocket but when i am out camping/hiking i tend to wear pants with cargo pockets and it doesnt bother me as much as when i am in work pants/jeans. But what works me for may not work for you and vice versa. The saw is pretty awesome, but i just dont spend enough time in the woods to justify the different in thickness and weight for my everyday carry.
also, this might just be me, but as someone that bites my nails, i keep my nails pretty short and i actually have to try and dig the nail nick of the blade with my nail to get past the saw blade. if you keep your nails longer this might not be as much of an issue. But it is for me *shrugs*

Ok NOW I decided. I am buying a Farmer now and if it is too much in the pocket, I will get a Pioneer soon after.

Much as I like multiple tools I still have to consider weight, size and convenience (knife lives and wears out my pants pockets). For 20 years I carried the 83mm version of the Spartan (would this be the Tinker?) but couldn't get hold of them anymore and had to switch to the larger Spartan. Every now and again I think a saw or some other occasional use/frivolous thing might be handy but I've gone 48 years without, so far, and have no complaints. The pliers issue was solved many years ago via carrying a modified Bahco 221D mini-pliers in my other pants pocket.

There is a small Tinker, but it has a back spring mounted ph screwdriver in place of the corkscrew. A small SAK almost like the 84mm Spartan is the Tourist, the only difference being a nail file in place of the small blade.

Back