Help me identify this mini hatchet

It has that cut in where the bit mates up the body/cheeks- European?

Marked in English - if it is import it was designed for Western consumption.

What shape is the eye?

How long is the eye ? Because it almost looks as though it could've had it's bit cut back.

Is it marked on the side we see in this photo or the other?

6FG6UCG.jpg

How long is the eye ? Because it almost looks as though it could've had it's bit cut back.

IENIx1I.jpg

I would say it takes a handle with a larger eye than the one in there right now which makes me think that what H&S said about the bit is correct - it was cut or worn back from its original size.

That pattern makes me think possibly Swedish/German/Euro import that was used as an axe should and maybe is worn down from said use.

Solid Steel wouldn't be a bragging point unless maybe other axes/hatchets on the market were two piece?

Where are you and where did it come from as far as you know?

Canadian axes often have that same notch in the bit/eye transition, so it's not necessarily a German axe.

Trust me, it's a german style axe. I live in Europe (the Netherlands, next to Germany). I see these types of axes daily. I you have a makers mark I could probably identify it for you. Most likely option would be a Helko or a Pandel. And since I'm half Canadian with a lot of family living there I know the difference.

Being from a particular region does not necessarily give one infallible knowledge of the origin of this head. It's entirely possible that you're right and it's German, but without a maker's mark it's not wholly guaranteed. The eye shape is North American, which is ambiguous since German makers did produce axes with that style of eye. My remark had been in regards to the assertion that the notch on the underside of the bit meant that it was German. That's not necessarily true, because axes from other regions also may have that notch.

Nah, it's just that America made it mainstream where in Europe most manufacturers didn't think as big. ;)
No......we did it first, the right way and better;)

You guys make some uncomfortable shoes and pretty windmills......so you have that going for you.

I have to agree..... That ax looks German to me.

Good luck. I belong to many groups. Own fancy German cars and never had to pay to have an question answered. Is this site from AOL early 90's. Don't mind spending money, but can't even post photo. WTF??? Someone here is getting rich or hasn't heard of sponsoring. Good luck. I may or may not have a valuable knife, I will never know. At this point it's going in the river. I hope you are shown the light!! Cheers, Harry

Back