Recommendation? Help me move to carbon steel

I used to prioritize edge retention, but when it's a chore to sharpen i don't enjoy the knife.

Schrade usa carbon steel is my favorite. Not at hard as GEC, but I can sharpen easily and it holds well.

Opinel is my second favorite. Sharpest blades ever, so easy to sharpen. Does not hold the edge as long as GEC or Schrade, but soooo easy the sharpen.

GEC is my third favorite. It holds longer then Schrade but I find it more challenging to get s very sharp edge. Not a problem with the steel, just my skill. With a little effort is can get great cutting edge.

Those more skilled in sharpening may have different opinions.

I've got an old Schrade folder from 1978. I bought it new, in 1979. Overall, the knife didn't hold up well over the years, but the carbon steel blade was excellent. Very hard steel, took a fine edge.

Current production GEC 1095 is top notch. If you want carbon and care about hardness, that's your play.

If you prefer older knives, then the Schrade from 70s and earlier is good stuff. That's about all I have personal experience with.

Here's a pic showing Schrade's USA-made heat treat schedules - sorry, I'm not sure when this dates to.

Page says "1972"

Very cool. Thanks for posting that.

Page says "1972"

Very cool. Thanks for posting that.

LOL! I guess I should have re-read it more closely before posting! I just remembered I had that info in my picture archives, while reading the last few posts in this thread.:oops::D

Glad you found it useful, Frank.:thumbsup: I'm always keen as well, to find out about what specific heat treatments were used by makers in the past.

While they're not super old, the Queen made black box Winchesters from the late '80s through the early '90s have very hard 1095 blades. I posted in the new additions thread a couple weeks back about one I just got which was very hard to sharpen, even on diamond hones, and Robert (SAK Guy) agreed that in his experience the black box Winchesters had very hard blades. They are very nicely polished as well. I have never seen a hardness test number on one, but from my own experience I would say that this one at least was over 60 HRc.

1c1d6129-2b21-4b97-9dc7-29982a14567b_zpssqhxzlpf.jpg~original

The old USA makers used a decent carbon steel and they can be picked up dirt cheap. Colonial, Imperial, Schrade, Cut Co, and even Ideal if you don't mind a chisel grind. I can make them razor sharp quick! I carry one every day to compliment a modern OHO.

Thanks for the help guys. The Black Box Winchesters are an option I'll look at. I like a slicing blade that is wide from spine to belly, and most of the Schrades had a thin blade that way.

Back