Help me pick a traditional please...

BF5C0C0B-E662-48DC-87F0-75C52FCB59A8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Not sure what link you're trying to post. I've used the same Photobucket and imgur codes I used on the old software, and they both worked. I'll help if I can.

It's the image links I always use. I don't know if it has anything to do with me being on mobile. I'll keep trying though.

BF5C0C0B-E662-48DC-87F0-75C52FCB59A8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

It's the image links I always use. I don't know if it has anything to do with me being on mobile. I'll keep trying though.

I post images from a Windows PC so I'm not going to be much help with posing images from a mobile device.

If you are really dead set against a nail nick, you might want to look for knives with an easy opener, or EO notch. You can put one in yourself, but I prefer to get a knife that came from the factory with one.

One other thought would be to check friction folders. Among others, Hiroaki Ohta makes some that are in the right size range. They are available at some of the online dealers.

Ohta san does great work and has some of the best prices I've seen on handmade knives. He has many small patterns both friction folder and slip joint.

Not sure why I didn't think of it before, but the Buck 55 is a great knife.

I was afraid of that. I have found that most 420HC is bad news, suitable for the blades of Leatherman keychain multitools but not much else. The only exception I have found is Buck 420HC which has a good heat treat that elevates it to barely adequate status.

BTW I'm not a steel snob really. Love my SAK's and my Inox Opinel.

Do you know if Case's 420HC is more like Leatherman or more like Buck?

Thanks

Case TruSharp is 420HC and it is more like the Leatherman version.

OP here.

I have found through research and your suggestions a candidate knife that I think will bring me some measure of joy. It is the Case Teardrop whickey bone with 2.5" chrome vanadium (CV) steel blade, #23004. This will allow me to avoid the whole 420HC controversy and I like the looks and size of the knife alot. It's also widely available.

Now here's the availability question:

(not a BF dealer member)sells it for $58.27 and says it has CV steel.

(not a BF dealer member) (new to me but gets good reviews) sells it for $45.99 and says it has CV steel.

(not a BF dealer member) sellis it for $55.98 and doesn't say which steel (?)

Blade HQ, which is my usual knife source, sells it for $55.98 and says that it's the #23004 but that it has Tru-Sharp (420HC) steel as BHQ#42033.

I'm going to call Blade HQ later today and see what's up with this. Doesn't make sense the way it is.

Help?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I've used (not a BF dealer member) and they are a BF dealer, so you can't go wrong there. Look to see if Collector Knives has it also. Mike participates regularly on this forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've used Knives Plus and they are a BF dealer, so you can't go wrong there. Look to see if Collector Knives has it also. Mike participates regularly on this forum.
Collector Knives has it in chrome vanadium for $47.93. I'd be happy to give Mike the sale if that would be your preference. I always like to support the little guy whenever possible.

Buck 501, 503, or 55. Case mini trapper or tiny trapper.

Buy a Case peanut. Great little knife that can do more than you would think. It's well under your length limit and is the not intimidating to most people

I just got off the phone with Blade HQ and their specs on this knife are confirmed to be waaaay off. Steel is confirmed to be CV not Tru-sharp, weight listed at 3.06 ounces is obviously wrong and price is about $10 too high.

They are going to update their online description and specs for this knife.

I think I did them a favor since they would lose sales with the inaccurate information.

Last edited:
I noticed the burnt stag two blade #48's (Improved Trapper) on KSF's site listed as 3" closed length. Wrong > 3-7/8". That was yesterday.

Buy a Case peanut. Great little knife that can do more than you would think. It's well under your length limit and is the not intimidating to most people
There are four peanuts that have CV blades as far as I can tell. Nice but I like the teardrop look and design more.
Thanks for the suggestion though. Maybe some day.....

OP again. Blade HQ has already changed the steel type to CV but all the other inaccuracies are still there. They should give out rewards for those of us who take the time to fact check and help them out.

? fake news going on here?

OK guys, I edited a few posts which referred to non paying dealers. If a dealer is not a BladeForums paying dealer, please don't give them free advertising here.

Here's a link to the current dealer list, http://www.bladeforums.com/threads/paid-dealer-members-list-updated-2-5-16.1089879/.

Knives Plus is not a paid BF dealer? They are allowed to advertise in the for sale by dealer section.

http://www.bladeforums.com/threads/we-knives-now-available-knives-plus.1484588/

OP here.

I have found through research and your suggestions a candidate knife that I think will bring me some measure of joy. It is the Case Teardrop whickey bone with 2.5" chrome vanadium (CV) steel blade, #23004. This will allow me to avoid the whole 420HC controversy and I like the looks and size of the knife alot. It's also widely available.

Now here's the availability question:

(not a BF dealer member)sells it for $58.27 and says it has CV steel.

(not a BF dealer member) (new to me but gets good reviews) sells it for $45.99 and says it has CV steel.

(not a BF dealer member) sellis it for $55.98 and doesn't say which steel (?)

Blade HQ, which is my usual knife source, sells it for $55.98 and says that it's the #23004 but that it has Tru-Sharp (420HC) steel as BHQ#42033.

I'm going to call Blade HQ later today and see what's up with this. Doesn't make sense the way it is.

Help?

Thanks
Great knife choice. Very light pull/easy to use nail nick and also has half stops! I love how you can get 4 finger grip and control of the small blade choking up on this one (it looks out of proportion on blade/handle ratio but I like that about this particular knife). I just picked up a chestnut bone in CV last week. I looked at both the chestnut and whiskey in CV. Keep in mind the chestnut has a wharncliff blade and the whiskey has a zulu style spearpoint blade. Also, they have different shields. Here is the chestnut that I picked up. I mostly preferred the jigging coloration of the chestnut over the whiskey and I was leaning more towards a wharncliff but both blades are nice. On mine the wharncliff measures 2 1/4" of cutting edge and 2 1/2" full blade length, closed length of knife measures 3 5/8".

cdce1ws.jpg

Last edited:
Back