Help! My LM Wave got dunked!

Hi all,
I'm sorry if I should have posted this in the Multitool section, but I figured ya'll could help me. My Leatherman Wave got dunked...in a water puddle...on a trail...so it was essentially dunked in water and mud. Help!!! How do I make sure it's completely clean and completely dry? I rinsed it off when i got home, took the sprayer from the sink to it opened it in every way possible and used a tooth brush with a little bit of soap. then soaked it in clean water. Left it out to dry on a towel, but how can I make sure that it is completely dry?
Would it hurt anything if I dropped it in a bowl of dry rice? A guy at Best Buy told me that's the best way to dry out an electronic device that has gotten wet...think that will work?
Thanks,
Gray

Fret not, the Wave can take a dunking. Just shake it dry and towel it off or use a hair dryer. Re-lube the pivot points and you're good to go:)

Mine sees worse on a daily basis. Don't worry about it. I've had mud packed in and dried hard enough to require a pressure washer to get it clean without causing any rust, or any other issues.

Yeah, just run water over it really well. A sprayer or Shower Massage would help.

When it doubt, finish with about two minutes of REALLY HOT water , shake it like the dickens for 5 seconds and then towel it off real well for about 15 seconds and then just leave it on the towel. The really hot water will cause it to dry much faster because it'll be sitting there hot. I do it all the time to get knives to dry fast on the inside and it works well.

Wait until it's well dry before you oil or you'll have a big runny mess. That steel is very stainless so I don't think you'll have a rust problem.

Anytime something needs water displaced, use WD 40.

Anytime something needs water displaced, use WD 40.

I disagree!

WD-40 leaves a film behind.

Ever seen a door hinge that's been lubed with WD-40 a few times? It has a yellow flaky film on it. Your knife will have that inside.

In my opinion, WD-40 is good for nothing!

Rinse it off real good and then blow it out with an compressor if you have one. I carried my LM Wave out in the Gulf of Mexico all the time and it was constantly exposed to Salt water. It never corroded as long as I rinsed it with fresh water and dried it when I got back to shore. Lube the joints with Militec-1

Run it through the dishwasher, shake the water off, then, heat it up real good with a hair dryer or (safely) with a heat gun to get it bone dry.

Spray it down real good with WD-40, which contains only mineral spirits (a solvent which evaporates) and mineral oil (a very light duty lube, which is the sole ingredient in Johnson's baby oil), plus a propellant. It is good stuff, and nothing to be scared of. In fact, the Leatherman website recommends WD-40 (on the care and maintenance page). After spraying it with WD-40, wipe it down real good and start using it.

Trust me on this one. :D

I disagree!

WD-40 leaves a film behind.

Ever seen a door hinge that's been lubed with WD-40 a few times? It has a yellow flaky film on it. Your knife will have that inside.

In my opinion, WD-40 is good for nothing!

I use WD-40 on my door hinges all the time, I've never had yellow stuff on it :confused:.

I've submersed my Ti-Charge and Kershaw A-100 in salt water many times(Gulf water, high salinity). Just rub any surface rust off (Flitz or similar), wash it good, flush it with any good water displacement product and lube it accordingly. A wipe down with Marine Tuff-cloth helps much as does Militec, Eezox, Corrosion X, Clp, Super Lube etc. Fresh water is really no problem at all. Salt water is just a minor inconvenience with the right protection.

It's a Leatherman - they're designed for tough stuff. If you're that worried then after you've washed and rinsed it, just give it a good shake and leave it open on a sunny windowsill for a couple of hours.
Sheesh!

The "yellow stuff" you are seeing is either rust that has been flushed from the hinge, or lacquer flaking off of the brass hinge.
I can promise you that WD 40 does not leave a film and it won't harm knives. I use it in my shop constantly.
Bill
www.billdeshivs.com

Thanks guys! Whew! I had to go to work last night so I couldn't respond until now. I left it at home (that killed me as I had need of it last night) on a towel, on the stove, under a light. I will be oiling it just as soon as I finish this. Thanks so much. I know I was probably overreacting, but I love that thing and just want to make sure I take care of it properly. Thank you again, so much!
Gray

I also run my Leatherman through the dishwasher once in a while. A light lube with WD-40 and she is GTG.

I have been using WD-40 for years on many different mechanisms, stuck bolts, nuts, screws, knives...

I have never seen this yellow film.

Back